The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Username: doloroushazy
Subject: english!
College: Wadham :>
AS subjects: English lit, German, RS, History
GCSE: 9a*s 2as

I applied for Oxford UNIQ (and the cambridge sutton trust snarf snarf) shouldn't think I'll get in
Username: treacletart01
A Levels: German A*, French A*, English Lit A*, History B GRR
Subject: German and with another language (prob french) or english or Pure
College: Open application

Gap Year taken
Original post by lalaberlin
Damn it, I knew that the Cambridge maths course is really really hard, but I had no idea it's this intense. You do know, however, that Oxford is starting to ask A*AA for maths starting next year?

Are you applying for pure maths or a joint course? and how are you preparations going so far? :smile:
add another reason: oxford maths applicants, at least the ones I met in December, are really nice people

I heard it was A*A*A, and tbh I'm more worried about the A in the third subject
What can you actually do to prepare? :smile:
Realising that this was me last year makes me feel old! Good luck to all of you :biggrin:
Reply 84
Original post by Speedy03
Yeah i did know, that is one of the smaller reasons i like the idea of Exeter.... And i do have the whole researching Oxford as procrastination thing going on too, don't worry! haha

Ouch, that sort of thing is rather scary.

Yeah,

our headteacher is a wee free: he believes the world was created 6000 years ago and that dancing is a sin.

Last year he got his reverend in to speak to us.

This was just after the Haiti Earthquake and the reverend gave a talk on why the earthquake was an act of vengeance by god against the sinful promiscuous haitians.

I stood up and explained the theory of plate tectonics to this "reverend."

The result: two weeks detention and the the worst part, being forced by the head on pain of suspension to write a humiliating letter of apology saying that i was sorry for "disrespecting the rev's beliefs"

You learn the crazies can't be argued with.... =(
Original post by dnumberwang
I heard it was A*A*A, and tbh I'm more worried about the A in the third subject
What can you actually do to prepare? :smile:

Yeah you're right, it's A*A*A, with A*'s in maths and further, sorry :wink: I'm an EU applicant so I don't really know much about the UK system, is it like really hard to get an A*? :s-smilie:

Anyway, for maths you mean?
(I'm holding an offer for Computer Science btw, but since CompSci applicants have to take the MAT as well and get asked loads of maths problems at the interviews, I think I can still give some tips, since you asked :wink:)
So basically do all the past MAT papers, not necessarily now, it's perhaps a little too early, I did those through the summer holidays, but you have to really prepare for the test, it's based on the result whether you get an interview or not, and they tend to get harder every year, if you take a look at the average scores of the previous papers. So really do ad master every single question asked in the past papers, they'll also give you an idea on what kind of questions you should practice more :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by candide
Yeah,

our headteacher is a wee free: he believes the world was created 6000 years ago and that dancing is a sin.

Last year he got his reverend in to speak to us.

This was just after the Haiti Earthquake and the reverend gave a talk on why the earthquake was an act of vengeance by god against the sinful promiscuous haitians.

I stood up and explained the theory of plate tectonics to this "reverend."

The result: two weeks detention and the the worst part, being forced by the head on pain of suspension to write a humiliating letter of apology saying that i was sorry for "disrespecting the rev's beliefs"

You learn the crazies can't be argued with.... =(

And, that my friends is why people should really keep religion out of education. A personal bugbear of mine really...

Original post by doloroushazy
Username: doloroushazy
Subject: english!
College: Wadham :>
AS subjects: English lit, German, RS, History
GCSE: 9a*s 2as

Another Englisher! Awesome.
(edited 13 years ago)

Another Englisher! Awesome.

aha THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! which college were you thinking of applying to?
Reply 88
aha THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! which college were you thinking of applying to?
Looking at either St. John's or Exeter. So not directly competing! :wink:
Reply 89
And, that my friends is why people should really keep religion out of education. A personal bugbear of mine really...

In RE today I had to explain what the Big Bang was to my teacher.

I drew some lovely diagrams while she shrieked down my neck - "is it a mechananistic or someother**** analogy?" whatever the hell that means???

In Scotland, so we gotta do RE...

it ruins my friday afternoons
Reply 90
Original post by candide
In RE today I had to explain what the Big Bang was to my teacher.

I drew some lovely diagrams while she shrieked down my neck - "is it a mechananistic or someother**** analogy?" whatever the hell that means???

Basically, for your sake, i hope you get the frig away from there sharpish. :wink:
Original post by candide
Anyone applied to Oxford UNIQ summer school btw?? I applied for histoy, dont rate my chances, it has like 13% success.

yeah i've applied for the one for biology but i dont reckon ill get a place

hah it's a dog-eat-dog world out there... what is it that draws you to St Johns and/or Exeter?
Reply 93

Excellent choice, not that I'm biased at all.
Reserving this if I get the grades to apply.

I think the people replying already should wait and see their actual results before deciding if they are going to apply.
Original post by Deep456

I think the people replying already should wait and see their actual results before deciding if they are going to apply.

I think most people know what grades they will probably get. Exams are only a month or so away.
Original post by Deep456

That only leaves you 2 months, and you miss all the department open days. you can't be serious
Reply 97
I'm definitely going to be applying! :smile:

Username: eliotball
Subject: Mathematics and Computer Science
College: Magdalene/University College (I think)
AS subjects: Maths (AS in January: 97%; A2 this year), Further Maths (full course next year), Physics, Politics, EPQ
GCSE: 7 A*s, 5 As
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lalaberlin
Damn it, I knew that the Cambridge maths course is really really hard, but I had no idea it's this intense. You do know, however, that Oxford is starting to ask A*AA for maths starting next year?

Are you applying for pure maths or a joint course? and how are you preparations going so far? :smile:
add another reason: oxford maths applicants, at least the ones I met in December, are really nice people

Well, they rely on STEP to weed people out. I don't know how the courses compare with each other, really - the impression I've got from reading online things is that they're both intense and very hard work, and Cambridge seems to have more mechanics/physics stuff than Oxford.

I do Advanced Highers: Scots are only asked for AAB :cool: . They aren't raising it next year, which is nice of them.

Pure maths! :love: Well, I've not started preparing yet - more worried about my May exams at the moment. But once we start the next year in June, and we get free periods, my plan is to dedicate a particular slot or two to maths stuff, starting with MAT preparation. And I'm going to do a big maths read in the summer holidays. However, I do have an appalling first draft of a personal statement completed.

Glad to hear everyone's nice! :biggrin:

Original post by candide

You don't know what "lots of drinking" means until you've lived in the Hebrides...!!!

Hmmm, I dunno, I guess what I mean is that I want to meet more people who are more like myself. There arent many people out here and less so any with whom you can have a decent discussion on a proper scientific or political topic. (half the staff at my school dont "believe" in evolution.)

Ah right. Non-evolution people are annoying: I have two friends who if they're told that something is more than 6000 years ago, they'll write it down as "8000 years" ago. It's stupid, the Bible doesn't make a lot of sense when taken literally: although I'm religious, it's perfectly possible to believe that there might be a bit/a lot of metaphor in there. Saying you don't believe in evolution is like saying you don't believe in gravity or something.

Our school doesn't have many wee frees. We've got the guitar-playing "Jesus is cool!" evangelicals who have there services in the nearby cinema instead. And then speak in tongues. (And if one of the friends I was talking about in the last paragraph sees this, I'm so dead. But it's true.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by candide

Still? We were allowed to stop at the end of fourth year. And fourth year didn't really count in the first place, because our nice progressive headteacher decided that Int 1 philosophy counted as RE. Did you know, independent schools in Scotland don't legally need to offer math, English, modern languages, science, etc., but they have to offer RE?
Primary school RE was particularly bad. We basically got told the nativity story for seven years, with occasional breaks to explain that some strange people had other festivals like Diwali and Chanukah, because they believed old myths about X. It always annoyed me how Christianity was taught as fact, but you must've had it much worse!

Oh, and in Edinburgh we don't have school Friday afternoons. :biggrin::biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending