The Student Room Group

Medicine - Why wasn't I good enough?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by planetconwy1
Is in not quite obvious from my signature that its Liverpool?
I cant make it any bigger! :eek:

I can't see any signatures

and really? Liverpool has just lost a lot of my respect...
Reply 21
Stop feeding the troll already (Reml)

Reml quite a pathetic attempt at that too considering your last posts :wink:
I think this is one of those cases where there isn't any real reason why you were rejected (although no biology didn't help) and that it was simply bad luck...

as medicine admissions is 30% you, 70% luck after a certain stage

find out what was wrong (if anything), strengthen your application and reapply
Original post by Reml
I can't see any signatures

and really? Liverpool has just lost a lot of my respect...

Im not sure they will care but ok.
I decided not to declare my AS results so I got in with my good GCSE grades.
Original post by Reml
I wouldn't want to take a medicine applicant who had a C in anything, sorry; you should also be predicted more A*'s if you want to even get an offer

Im predicted A*A*A and failed...
Reply 25
Original post by planetconwy1
Im not sure they will care but ok.
I decided not to declare my AS results so I got in with my good GCSE grades.

Fair enough, but i think it is deceiving the Uni's from taking better students, especially if you didn't get good enough grades; its not fair that people who actually worked didn't get in, but whilst you slacked off and managed to get in
Reply 26
can you quit trolling here and go back to the religon/current affairs forums jackass :smile: ?
Original post by 41jms
I don't want to hear how competitive it is or how a lot of good applicants get rejected etc.. Id rather hear constructive criticism so i get something out of it.

Long story short, i applied for medicine for 2011 entry and im currently in year 13.
My GCSEs : 6A*s, 5As
As-Levels: AAAC (Maths, Chemistry, Physics and French, respectively.)
A2 Predictions: A*AA (In Maths, Chemistry and Physics, respectively.)
UKCAT : 700average. (600,720,720,760)
Work Exp: Shadowing doctors at a hospital, Shadowing Opticians/Optometrists etc. Did try to arrange more work experience but it was really hard/wasnt possible to get. Part time job at hospital pharmacy (2 hours every night)
Voluntary Work: Work once a week in a charity shop, volunteer at an old people's home, tutor maths to younger kids, prefect in school, did a peer support/anti-bullying programme, regular fundraising.
Other: Achieved bronze and silver Duke of Edinburgh.

Applied to: Bristol, Keele, Southampton and Manchester. Only got an interview from manchester - was put on "hold" and now eventually been rejected.

What can I do on my gap year to better my application? I realise I was a bit restricted when it came to options to apply for medical school due to not even having biology to AS. If i did fast track biology (and maybe other alevels) in my gap year would it be possible then to apply to unis that do want biology? Or will this be considered as resitting a levels in 3 years? Because technically i wont be resitting my alevels - i would have completed 3 science a levels in 2 years and hopefully achieving As/A* in all 3, but id just be choosing to do more alevels.. have people done this before? I cant imagine myself getting a 9-5 job, i'd much rather study? So if i did alevels i could fit that in along with a job, more voluntary work etc?

Any thoughts please? :frown:

It's quite often personal statement that's the problem if academics/work ex/UKCAT/applying to the wrong places are the problem. Yes, you've done a lot of work ex, but what did you learn from it, and how did you reflect on it in your PS?

In your gap year I'd do fast track bio if the unis youre interested in say it will help, maybe do a bit more work ex and rewrite your PS.
Original post by kim1234567
How are you going to pull those C's and E's into A's? Lots of resits?! I smell bull****. Either that or you had special circumstances, such as your parent dying or something?!

Really dont see how this is possible...

In not joking.
E Biology, Sat 3 exams in January and got a,a,a. So now ive got an A overall.
C in ICT, mostly due to the exam which i did again and got an A,
C in Maths, dropped at as and im doing S1 again in the summer to get that B,
B in Chemistry, did one again in january and got an A,

My GCSE's were A*A*A*AAAAAABC which more than meet Liverpools requirement,
Basically I didnt try very hard last year, I was quite busy, things like Radio 1s Big weekend and stuff like that, lol.
Reply 29
Original post by Persephone9
It's quite often personal statement that's the problem if academics/work ex/UKCAT/applying to the wrong places are the problem. Yes, you've done a lot of work ex, but what did you learn from it, and how did you reflect on it in your PS?

In your gap year I'd do fast track bio if the unis youre interested in say it will help, maybe do a bit more work ex and rewrite your PS.

I don't know what to change!! I would love an interview from manchester again so i don't want to change the PS too much, i just dont understand how the same personal statement was good enough for interview at manchester but not the others!

I can't believe my future pretty much lies on that one piece of paper with a few words on it! Surely grades and other things should matter more? I dont know how to change my personal statement because I obviously thought that was the best way of presenting it otherwise I wouldn't have submitted it. I genuinely think its quite good, with good language and structure. But obviously, its lacking something or just not standing out enough. I'm not sure how to change it for the better and be sure that i'm not actually decreasing my chances.. i dont know what to do!!? :frown:
Reply 30
Original post by 41jms
what worries me is that there is no guarantee i will get a place next year, then this would mean 2 potentials years of my life wasted! I really would like to get on with education and start earning. I don't understand what i'm doing wrong? :frown:

There in not a guarantee you will get in any year.
You have a good application. However I think you applied to bad uni for your application.

If you get a similar UKCATs next year apply to UKCAT unis. That will give you a better chance at getting an interview.

Because your application is good on paper you most probably didnt have a very good PS and didnt do well at the interview so work on those for next year.
Reply 31
Original post by Ligamentia
can you quit trolling here and go back to the religon/current affairs forums jackass :smile: ?

trolling?

and i am making sure that this person has a sense of realism about medical applications, which is sorely needed, especially as 60% of applicants don't even get an offer; hence they need to have excellent grades and the like to succeed, and a C will not be favourable to universities, especially as many applicants will have AAAA or better
Reply 32
Theres nothing i can do about having got that C in French now. I would have thought the A*/As in the sciences would be enough grades-wise... Is it best to not even mention the C in As french on Ucas then?
Reply 33
Original post by Reml
Im sorry, but ive actually had experience concerning medical applications, so i think i am in a better position to state what universities want, and they will not want a C from a serious applicant

What "experience" have you had?
Reply 34
Original post by 41jms
I don't want to hear how competitive it is or how a lot of good applicants get rejected etc.. Id rather hear constructive criticism so i get something out of it.

Long story short, i applied for medicine for 2011 entry and im currently in year 13.
Work Exp: Shadowing doctors at a hospital, Shadowing Opticians/Optometrists etc. Did try to arrange more work experience but it was really hard/wasnt possible to get. Part time job at hospital pharmacy (2 hours every night)
Voluntary Work: Work once a week in a charity shop, volunteer at an old people's home, tutor maths to younger kids, prefect in school, did a peer support/anti-bullying programme, regular fundraising.

Applied to: Bristol, Keele, Southampton and Manchester. Only got an interview from manchester - was put on "hold" and now eventually been rejected.

What can I do on my gap year to better my application? I realise I was a bit restricted when it came to options to apply for medical school due to not even having biology to AS. If i did fast track biology (and maybe other alevels) in my gap year would it be possible then to apply to unis that do want biology? Or will this be considered as resitting a levels in 3 years? Because technically i wont be resitting my alevels - i would have completed 3 science a levels in 2 years and hopefully achieving As/A* in all 3, but id just be choosing to do more alevels.. have people done this before? I cant imagine myself getting a 9-5 job, i'd much rather study? So if i did alevels i could fit that in along with a job, more voluntary work etc?

Applied to the wrong unis and need more interview practice!

You would have got three more interviews if you applied to Barts/Newc/Glasgow/PMS

Focus on your grades for now, get a good UKCAT score and reapply sensibly, and you have a superb chance next year...you will have so much more time to focus on interview prep in your gap year.
Reply 35
Original post by 41jms
Theres nothing i can do about having got that C in French now. I would have thought the A*/As in the sciences would be enough grades-wise... Is it best to not even mention the C in As french on Ucas then?

You cannot neglect to mention a grade because you think it may be detrimental to your application. :rolleyes:

You could resit French to improve your grade.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Reml
trolling?

and i am making sure that this person has a sense of realism about medical applications, which is sorely needed, especially as 60% of applicants don't even get an offer; hence they need to have excellent grades and the like to succeed, and a C will not be favourable to universities, especially as many applicants will have AAAA or better

yes considering you arent a medical applicant and the last posts you made were mostly in religion/current affairs threads (just trolling and provocative message)

so yeah let me reiterate get the f*** out ?

oh and ps "Im sorry, but ive actually had experience concerning medical applications, so i think i am in a better position to state what universities want, and they will not want a C from a serious applicant"

I would love to hear about this so called experience of yours :wink:
Reply 37
Original post by Reml
Im sorry, but ive actually had experience concerning medical applications, so i think i am in a better position to state what universities want, and they will not want a C from a serious applicant

Ok,I refrain back from my former comment. :redface:
Original post by Reml
trolling?

As a general rule, so long as you meet the grade requirements, any grades in excess don't make a huge amount of difference. Subjects/ work experience/ personal statement/UKCAT/performance at interview matter much more.
Original post by 41jms

Rejection doesn't mean you're not good enough or could not succeed at a medical course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending