The Student Room Group

Guys who's bestfriend is a girl! - YOUR OPINION OR ANY GUY

My bestfriend is a guy and I like might even love him. I think maybe because I do like him I over read things. Hoping he feels the same. LOL sad huh :colondollar: But I just wanted to know what you guys think.

If its just me over reading things that's fine! I'll get over it haha. Just thought I'd read your views on this matter.

For example, if I don't call him or we are not in contact for awhile ie. a week he because very moany 'why haven't you called me..you neglected me...have you forgotten about me.. why did you forget me?'

Does his hair and facial hair like I like it :smile: And says 'I kept it for you' even when I don't notice he kept it!

Or when we are together we play fight a lot *ok normal*

When we are on the phone we talk for ages *normal* he literally tells me everything!

He says I'm the only one he allows to treat like rubbish (lol I really don't) :rolleyes::tongue:

He says 'I love you...love you...love you lots' at the end of every conversation

He met my mum but was embarrassed he wanted to make an impression on her, someone respectable (mum loves him) ....wants to meet my dad next week :confused: only God knows why!

He compares his girlfriends to me..*normal right? I am his bf*HE IS SINGLE NOW

Everyone thinks we are going out or will do at some point *hopefully* lol :smile: :P

We do flirt a lot, a few sexual comments there and now!

His mum loves me, when we are on the phone she shouts in the background 'make sure you two don't have no babies' LOL we are teens after all (ok 18)

(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have a male best friend, I love him dearly and we do all the above things, but he's just not boyfriend material to me.
Maybe your friend feels differently, I'm just saying, it could genuinely be friendship he's after.
My mum always says my best friend would make a lovely husband to my boyfriend. Haha.

Ask him how he feels?
(edited 13 years ago)
I have a male best friend and we were really close in our last year of uni. We did a lot of the things you described. I don't know if he ever liked me, maybe he did. I never felt that way about him though. I just saw it all as friendly fun.
Reply 3
Original post by Smelly Ellie
I have a male best friend, I love him dearly and we do all the above things, but he's just not boyfriend material to me.
Maybe your friend feels differently, I'm just saying, it could genuinely be friendship he's after.
My mum always says my best friend would make a lovely husband to my boyfriend. Haha.

Ask him how he feels?

Oh no, lool hunny dont you feel a tad of like for him?
Original post by her
Oh no, lool hunny dont you feel a tad of like for him?

Not at all. Seriously. I would be like fancying one of my girl best friends... Just weird.
im a guy and i had a girl i was best friends with for years, we are now 18 and have been dating 5 years.
Still going strong.
Reply 6
Well if youre that close, then you could always talk about it? Say that you want to talk about something important, and that you hope it wont change his opinion of you etc.

I said this to my male best friend, and we are now in a relationship as we both decided after a while that we wanted to give it a go. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
im a guy and i had a girl i was best friends with for years, we are now 18 and have been dating 5 years.
Still going strong.

but did you do any of the above! ? :frown: I'm a tad scared!
Reply 8
I think in a best friend relationship it only ever exists when one is attracted to the other
One word sums this story up. Cliché.
Honesty is the best policy. :smile: It does work out sometimes, and even if you told him you liked him and he didn't reciprocate the feeling surely your relationship is strong enough to just carry on?
Reply 11
Original post by Bektas
One word sums this story up. Cliché.

why cliche?
Reply 12
the biggest indicator to me would be talking on the phone for hours, i would only ever do that for a girl i liked.

But he could just be a bit of a girly kind of guy who likes that sort of thing so :dontknow:

a the end of the day, nothing ventured, nothing gained, would you be happy never being more than friends?
Original post by her
why cliche?

Because it's the exact same for everyone in this situation.
Original post by her
My bestfriend is a guy and I like might even love him. I think maybe because I do like him I over read things. Hoping he feels the same. LOL sad huh :colondollar: But I just wanted to know what you guys think.

If its just me over reading things that's fine! I'll get over it haha. Just thought I'd read your views on this matter.

For example, if I don't call him or we are not in contact for awhile ie. a week he because very moany 'why haven't you called me..you neglected me...have you forgotten about me.. why did you forget me?'

Does his hair and facial hair like I like it :smile: And says 'I kept it for you' even when I don't notice he kept it!

Or when we are together we play fight a lot *ok normal*

When we are on the phone we talk for ages *normal* he literally tells me everything!

He says I'm the only one he allows to treat like rubbish (lol I really don't) :rolleyes::tongue:

He says 'I love you...love you...love you lots' at the end of every conversation

He met my mum but was embarrassed he wanted to make an impression on her, someone respectable (mum loves him) ....wants to meet my dad next week :confused: only God knows why!

He compares his girlfriends to me..*normal right? I am his bf*HE IS SINGLE NOW

Everyone thinks we are going out or will do at some point *hopefully* lol :smile: :P

We do flirt a lot, a few sexual comments there and now!

His mum loves me, when we are on the phone she shouts in the background 'make sure you two don't have no babies' LOL we are teens after all (ok 18)

The ones in bold are the ones that my guy best friend does with me, similar situation to you except I told him I liked him and that's kind of how we became so close...he didn't like me in the same way (I'm now completely over him and couldn't imagine going out with him, but that's an entirely different matter!) Basically my point is that he could like you but at the same time it could just be a best mates thing, and he is flirty with you in a jokey way because "it's entirely platonic". I would say talk to him about it though...I thought it would ruin our friendship so didn't for ages but actually it was a lot less awkward once it was out in the open and we were awkward for a couple of days and then were best mates again. Hope everything goes ok for you :smile:
Original post by Aaargh
Oh man, he ugly! Poor guy.

That's not it at all... He's like a brother.
You could hint that you like him and see how he reacts... if it's not reciprocated i'm sure you'll be able to move on and carry on with your 'tightness'. It could be a beautiful situation or something you sit and laugh about in years to come :P
My best friend is female and lives with me. I don't tell her I love her, I think that might be a tad odd to end conversations with that, despite the fact that in a platonic way I do, but she is more like a sibling to me, just we don't argue like siblings seem to.

The hair and facial hair thing also seems rather odd...I certainly wouldn't do that.

We play fight quite a bit so that doesn't mean anything to me.

We don't talk on the phone since she lives with me but I tell her everything.

She's been single for a long time though often sees her ex and I imagine he'd like to be back with her, I got a girlfriend recently. We don't compare our partners/ex's to one another. We might joke about them or something but not comparisons.

People often assume we're together when out, but then again I'd probably assume it of two people together if I didn't think they were related and we lock arms on occasion while walking so I don't blame people for making assumptions.

We don't flirt, we'll use a ton of innuendo but it's not really aimed at each other much.

Seems to me he probably would take it further, some of those behaviours do seem a bit odd for platonic friendship.
Original post by her
But I just wanted to know what you guys think.

He wants you on his dick.

In all seriousness it does seem like he feels the same way, maybe ask him? Seeing as you're so close.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by BradfordCityJoss
He wants you on his dick.

In all seriousness it does seem like he feels the same way, maybe ask him? Seeing as you're so close.

oh really...he has said that before :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest