The Student Room Group

Sumbitting evidence for Parents separation?

Okay so i'm really confused on what to do here, Student Finance ask for you to send evidence to support the claim that your parent is now separated and the only evidence they say is acceptable is: confirmation from your solicitor of your marital status and a Decree Nisi i think there was one more but i'm not sure as it now says that i've completed everything on the form and won't let me back on the evidence page! This also means that I can't print off the evidence cover sheet that they ask you to send with it. Does anyone know if that would be a problem?
Anyway My mum seems to think she doesn't have any evidence and the only thing she could possibly send is some paper work where she started to ask for a divorce but never went through with it, however she's been single for more than 2 years now.
:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Khoward
Okay so i'm really confused on what to do here, Student Finance ask for you to send evidence to support the claim that your parent is now separated and the only evidence they say is acceptable is: confirmation from your solicitor of your marital status and a Decree Nisi i think there was one more but i'm not sure as it now says that i've completed everything on the form and won't let me back on the evidence page! This also means that I can't print off the evidence cover sheet that they ask you to send with it. Does anyone know if that would be a problem?
Anyway My mum seems to think she doesn't have any evidence and the only thing she could possibly send is some paper work where she started to ask for a divorce but never went through with it, however she's been single for more than 2 years now.
:s-smilie:

Hi,
I had the exact problem and I got a lot of conflicting advise about this. Your mum will have to go to a solicitors and ask them to write and sign a letter confirming a marital status as my mum did. They may charge, but this will be a small cost. We went to citizen's advise and got the solicitor to write it through them.

If you have any more questions about my situation in this regard, just quote me back.
Reply 2
Original post by toronto353
Hi,
I had the exact problem and I got a lot of conflicting advise about this. Your mum will have to go to a solicitors and ask them to write and sign a letter confirming a marital status as my mum did. They may charge, but this will be a small cost. We went to citizen's advise and got the solicitor to write it through them.

If you have any more questions about my situation in this regard, just quote me back.

If my mum went to the solicitor to get a conformation letter does she needs to bring any documents with her? and how much would it cost?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by angela.
If my mum went to the solicitor to get a conformation letter does she needs to bring any documents with her? and how much would it cost?

The costs can vary. My mum did it through the citizens advice bureau. It cost her £10 and I don't believe she had to take any documents with her. That said, I would get in touch with CAB to check.
Reply 4
The costs can vary. My mum did it through the citizens advice bureau. It cost her £10 and I don't believe she had to take any documents with her. That said, I would get in touch with CAB to check.

And can you tell me the process as well please?

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by angela.
And can you tell me the process as well please?

Thanks

Certainly. My mum went and explained the situation to CAB. They then got in touch with a solicitor. My mum arranged to meet the solicitor. The solicitor then signed the document which was drafted by CAB and then we sent the document off to student finance. I'm guessing you've had the same problem which I had then?
Reply 6
Yes
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Send a copy of council tax bill which will show she receives 25% single occupancy discount.
Reply 8
Hi,

hello, i got the same problem as you and I'm still struggling with this. what do you mean by 'got the solicitor to write it through them'? cause my mum said the solicitor wont help her to sign it they need evidence. then how exactly does CAB could help? is it only by writing a letter? im really confuse.:confused: pls reply/help if u can. as im running out of time here. thanks.
Reply 9
Hi,

hello, i got the same problem as you and I'm still struggling with this. what do you mean by 'got the solicitor to write it through them'? cause my mum said the solicitor wont help her to sign it as they need evidence. then how exactly does CAB could help? is it only by writing a letter? im really confuse.:confused: pls reply/help if u can. as im running out of time here. thanks.
Reply 10
Certainly. My mum went and explained the situation to CAB. They then got in touch with a solicitor. My mum arranged to meet the solicitor. The solicitor then signed the document which was drafted by CAB and then we sent the document off to student finance. I'm guessing you've had the same problem which I had then?

hello! i think i got the same problem as you. but my mum is reluctant now to go to the solicitor as they need some kind of evidence from her, but that is the thing we got no evidence that she is separated. Did you mean that the CAB helped your mum to find a solicitor that will signed a document that the CAB produced? pls pls reply asap. thanks.
Original post by tar11
hello! i think i got the same problem as you. but my mum is reluctant now to go to the solicitor as they need some kind of evidence from her, but that is the thing we got no evidence that she is separated. Did you mean that the CAB helped your mum to find a solicitor that will signed a document that the CAB produced? pls pls reply asap. thanks.

Hi,
When my mum went to the solicitor, they simply signed a letter. We went to CAB first and I think that they helped us to find a solicitor. We then made an appointment with said solicitor with a letter (I think drafted by the CAB) and then they signed it and we submitted it as evidence. If you have any more questions, just ask.

toronto353 :smile:
Reply 12
Hey, I was told two weeks ago about this additional evidence.
I didn't go to the CAB first of all, just to the solicitor (in hindsight I wish I had). I had a 10 minute meeting in which the letter was wrote, it cost me £96.
Student finance said it takes 3 days to scan and 3 weeks to process so I'm not very hopeful.
Original post by missy22
Send a copy of council tax bill which will show she receives 25% single occupancy discount.

Hello Guys,

Just thought I would drop a quick note to say I was in exactly the same position several years ago parents seprated for 9 years + but not divorced. Missy22 is right about the council tax thing because that is what we did and it saves a heck of a lot of time and effort in regards to trying to sort out a letter that isn't free. Bloody student finance get right on my wick they don't advise people on the best methods of gaining evidence. Good luck I hope it gets sorted for you x

P.S. Ring the council and they should be able to help you out when you explain
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Nickw73
Hey, I was told two weeks ago about this additional evidence.
I didn't go to the CAB first of all, just to the solicitor (in hindsight I wish I had). I had a 10 minute meeting in which the letter was wrote, it cost me £96.
Student finance said it takes 3 days to scan and 3 weeks to process so I'm not very hopeful.

hi. what did you exactly say to the solicitor? did they ask you for any evidence? cause CAB wouldnt help me unless i got some sort of evidence :frown:
Reply 15
Hi,
When my mum went to the solicitor, they simply signed a letter. We went to CAB first and I think that they helped us to find a solicitor. We then made an appointment with said solicitor with a letter (I think drafted by the CAB) and then they signed it and we submitted it as evidence. If you have any more questions, just ask.

toronto353 :smile:

hello its me again. so i went to CAB but they said they cant do it unless i have an evidence. like both of my parents live in different countries; is that one not enough as an evidence. they said they cant make a letter cause it will ruin their credibility if they didnt see any paperwork as an evidence. Is it possible for you to ask your mum if she gave them any evidence/proof? im really desperate here :frown::confused:
Reply 16
Hi, i had the same problem i just clicked provide none and i got a letter in the post saying my dad could send in a letter shows a reduction in tax because of one parent.
Had a very similar situation, think my mum just wrote them a letter.
Original post by tar11
hello its me again. so i went to CAB but they said they cant do it unless i have an evidence. like both of my parents live in different countries; is that one not enough as an evidence. they said they cant make a letter cause it will ruin their credibility if they didnt see any paperwork as an evidence. Is it possible for you to ask your mum if she gave them any evidence/proof? im really desperate here :frown::confused:

I'm fairly sure that she probably had to show them some evidence. CAB may be able to offer more advice on this situation. Even so, consider what
you have available to you. Bills in your parent's name, rent agreement with one name on it for example. Have a think, but CAB may be able to offer you help with regards to what evidence you can use to get the solicitor to write a letter for you. Keep in touch with them and try to get in to see them as soon as possible.
Hi,

hiya, i am currently going through the same situation. how much was the charge please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending