The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
My ideal dreams, of course. Why would you want a 'perfect' partner anyway? Imperfection is what makes people and relationships interesting and beautiful.
Original post by Nayred
My ideal dreams, of course. Why would you want a 'perfect' partner anyway? Imperfection is what makes people and relationships interesting and beautiful.

Depends on what you call a perfect partner surely. The perfect person for any other person is different, which suggests to me that the person who is perfect for another is the one who would create the kind of relationship you describe above...
Reply 622
Original post by TurboCretin
Depends on what you call a perfect partner surely. The perfect person for any other person is different, which suggests to me that the person who is perfect for another is the one who would create the kind of relationship you describe above...

Just because your partner isn't 'perfect' doesn't mean you can't love them. For example, your 'perfect partner' might include someone that does not snore in their sleep, however you might find someone who does snore in their sleep but aside from that you still love them.
Original post by Nayred
Just because your partner isn't 'perfect' doesn't mean you can't love them. For example, your 'perfect partner' might include someone that does not snore in their sleep, however you might find someone who does snore in their sleep but aside from that you still love them.

I'm not saying they have to be your perfect partner for you to love them. The set of perfect partners for any given person will form a subset of people whom that person would potentially love. What I'm saying is that a perfect partner is not the same as a perfect person. A perfect partner is someone who is perfect for someone else, and that is to be judged by how perfect a relationship that person creates with the individual concerned. The perfection of the relationship, in turn, might be judged according to the criteria you've described.

Nobody is perfect, but perfect relationships may exist. That is my main idea.
Reply 624
Imo the question is a paradox. For me a perfect partner is someone who would accept me WITH my dreams and goals AND support me througout to fulfill them.
So if the so-called 'perfect partner' wants me to choose betwen him and my career he is NOT perfect and I'd rather be happy with my dream career than a 'near perfect' partner! :tongue:
A piece of a puzzle would not be considered perfect, if our prototypical 'perfect' object was a circle. But two pieces of a puzzle may be perfect for one another, with corresponding idiosyncrasies.
A perfect partner, because humans interest me more than anything else in the world - I'd love to meet and be with one I think is perfect for me.
Original post by xEndeavors
My perfect future is having a perfect partner :h:

So you want your life to revolve around another person's?
Original post by omnom515
but surely if you find a guy who won't make you sacrifice anything for him that makes him pretty appealing personality-wise? :smile:

I'd like to see a man who wouldn't a mind a girl that is:

*very career-driven
*doesn't want to get married
*doesn't want kids
*wants to travel a lot
Poll is very close.
Original post by fredscarecrow
I had the choice between partner and future. I picked future.

Really?

Lots of girls I see here commenting are at university and say "perfect partner", so why did you go for the "future" option?
Original post by spacepirate-James

Original post by spacepirate-James
Poll is very close.

As of now, it is even. :h:
Reply 632
You should really have included a better poll. But in answer to your question:

*Perfect career + ****/no partner

Always.
Reply 633
Yeah, probably. Even if I knew I would regret it forever.
Original post by hmon93

Original post by hmon93
Yeah, probably. Even if I knew I would regret it forever.

Then why would you make such a decision?

What compels you to make such a regretful decision?
If you have to give up your dream for them they're obviously NOT the perfect partner. Surely for someone to be the *Perfect* partner they should help you reliase your dream?

But in all honesty my dream is wishy washy crap; to have kids. i could not be with someone who wouldn't have kids. so, again, they would not be the perfect parter if they didn't want a family.
Original post by im so academic
Really?

Lots of girls I see here commenting are at university and say "perfect partner", so why did you go for the "future" option?

I think I've always had a set idea of where I want to be in the future. It's my motivation which has got me through past problems [psychological], current issues [medical] and made me do my work when really it's the last thing I want to do, at times. If I gave up on that vision, then what's the point.
I don't see why I should give up on my dream life, for the sake of someone who's entered into it half way though. Yes, I loved him, but not enough apparently. I don't want someone who means I have to sacrifice everything I've worked for.
A house, cars, lifestyles etc might not be important to everyone but they are to me. I didn't want to be with someone who wouldn't want to raise kids the way I want to, or whose salary meant we couldn't afford the kind of house I intend to work to afford.
Basically, if I stay with someone it's because they can make my life dream BETTER, rather than limiting it.
Selfish, yes..but it's my life!
I'd like to see a man who wouldn't a mind a girl that is:

*very career-driven
*doesn't want to get married
*doesn't want kids
*wants to travel a lot

who said anything about not wanting to get married/have kids lol i thought we were talking about careers/relationships? :P
i'd think that if you enjoy your job then your partner shouldn't expect you to give it up - if they really were perfect then they'd want you to be happy :smile: also with careers like medicine where people will have spent a good 6 years or so qualifying for the job, does it not seem a bit pointless to just throw it away like that? that's 6 years of your life down the drain - not to mention all the hard work they will have put into it would be totally wasted.
Reply 638
:facepalm2:

You do realise what this is from, right?

House is....arguably one of the best in his profession, fictionally of course. But he still gets love and hot girls.

Best of both worlds. no facepalm necessary.."im so academic"
Reply 639
But life does.

What do you mean life does? We are pretty much engaged, he is my future husband, so my life would never give up on him, and his would never give up on me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending