The Student Room Group

Is fair that top unis accept internation students over uk students?

Do you think its fair that in many top universities, such as LSE, Imperial, etc prefer to accept international students over Domestic students at a time where Domestic students are unable to compete at graduate level jobs when there international equivalent?

Do think its right for universities to say having international students is more beneficial to the Uk economy, when these internail students leave once they have passed, while Domestic students are struggling to get into degree courses which causes in the long-term falling qualified domestic workers?

How many of you agree that Domestic students should have preference over international students when these universities are UK based and are being funded by UK taxpayers for there children and not for international students?

I realise that international students do give substantial fees and provided about £5 billion to the Uk economy, however i feel it is in the short-term and that long-term prosperity requires UK students to recieve Top education into creating a more stable and more than qualified supply of workers?

What I feel makes this case even worse is the fact that there is a current shortage of university places for local students, shouldn't the government look to maxsimise local students into university rather than being political and allowing foreign students into Uk universities as not many Uk students opt to go abroad due to the high cost in some countries with top universities such the USA.
(Im not being racist or anything, just wanna what people think and my opinion is that UK students should come first as these are UK universities with funding from UK taxpayers money)
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Whats up with the font size?

And the universities can let in whoever they want.
Reply 2
Yes, they can let it anyone the damn well feel like.
Reply 3
Original post by Iqbal007
Do you think its fair that in many top universities, such as LSE, Imperial, etc prefer to accept international students over Domestic students at a time where Domestic students are unable to compete at graduate level jobs when there international equivalent?

I wasn't aware they did, to be honest.

They don't "prefer" international students. The Government places a cap on the number of home students a university can accept.

The admissions systems for international and home students are completely independent from each another.
Reply 4
I find it difficult to take anyone who feels the need to use such a large font seriously
Reply 5
Original post by River85
I wasn't aware they did, to be honest.

They don't "prefer" international students. The Government places a cap on the number of home students a university can accept.

The admissions systems for international and home students are completely independent from each another.

Really? I had the same understanding as starter that Universities wanted international students because they pay more! Forget higher fees I think international students should have higher grade standards...

Last week I would have agreed with the rest of you lot, that Universities can accept whoever they want. But now that I have been rejected from uni I am feeling a bit spiteful towards all. Sorry for the bitterness, it will wear off.
Reply 6
Original post by aqua1
Really? I had the same understanding as starter that Universities wanted international students because they pay more! Forget higher fees I think international students should have higher grade standards...

I'm not saying that universities don't want international students. That the fees international students pay aren't attracted by them. What I am saying is that it's not techincally true to say universities "prefer" international students. An international student does not got an offer ahead of a home student.

There's also nothing to stop you (or any UK students) from going overseas for university study. Or a number of EU countries where you can benefit from free tuition fees. This in in theory, of course, as there are practical difficulites. But many do it.

I've always found international students quite intelligent and dilligent. Mind, some of the PhD students who are clearly lacking in basic English skills....but that's a separate issue.
Reply 7
Original post by River85
I'm not saying that universities don't want international students. That the fees international students pay aren't attracted by them. What I am saying is that it's not techincally true to say universities "prefer" international students. An international student does not got an offer ahead of a home student.

There's also nothing to stop you (or any UK students) from going overseas for university study. Or a number of EU countries where you can benefit from free tuition fees. This in in theory, of course, as there are practical difficulites. But many do it.

I've always found international students quite intelligent and dilligent. Mind, some of the PhD students who are clearly lacking in basic English skills....but that's a separate issue.

Okay. I'm not really sure what the debate is about. Are you an international student by any chance?
Reply 8
Iqbal is your name? Not a traditional English name one might say... If you don't mind me asking, at which point did your family move to Britain (presuming ofc that they did immigrate here)?

As of the issue, seems quite clear that you want everyone to agree that international students shouldn't get as much chance as they do. However, really can't see that being the case. Personally I don't think fair is even clearly defined here. Is it fair that perhaps better applicants from public schools are rejected so that Uni's get their quota of state school kids (state school myself)? How do you gauge what's fair?

See:
Is it fair that some people are born into richer families than others? Are then given a better education and seemingly more likely to achieve their potential.
Yes, its only fair. Like we could go to an Australian uni if we wanted.
Reply 10
Original post by aqua1
Okay. I'm not really sure what the debate is about. Are you an international student by any chance?

Yes, I have dual citizenship (Part peoples republic of Northumberland, part the Duchy of Durham).

No, I'm not :p:

Do think its right for universities to say having international students is more beneficial to the Uk economy, when these internail students leave once they have passed, while Domestic students are struggling to get into degree courses which causes in the long-term falling qualified domestic workers?

How many of you agree that Domestic students should have preference over international students when these universities are UK based and are being funded by UK taxpayers for there children and not for international students?

I realise that international students do give substantial fees and provided about £5 billion to the Uk economy, however i feel it is in the short-term and that long-term prosperity requires UK students to recieve Top education into creating a more stable and more than qualified supply of workers?

What I feel makes this case even worse is the fact that there is a current shortage of university places for local students, shouldn't the government look to maxsimise local students into university rather than being political and allowing foreign students into Uk universities as not many Uk students opt to go abroad due to the high cost in some countries with top universities such the USA.
(Im not being racist or anything, just wanna what people think and my opinion is that UK students should come first as these are UK universities with funding from UK taxpayers money)

They live your country because your gorvernment want them to. I know someone who get a job offer from JP Morgan in UK but can't get a Visa, she was obviously not coming to live on benefit (and was a foreigner educated in France).

Second, depends of what kind of international student you are talking about, if it's European one, they compete fairly as they pay exactly the same fee as you do.
Reply 12
There's a different quota for international students so they're not taking up the places of home students.
Reply 13

Spoiler

(fixed)

And I personally do? :wink::biggrin:

But no, honestly, they should accept whoever they think is best for their course. But at the same time, it's good to have a little internationality mixed in, too. So I guess it's good governments do impose some limit.

_Kar.
Reply 14
Original post by aqua1

Last week I would have agreed with the rest of you lot, that Universities can accept whoever they want. But now that I have been rejected from uni I am feeling a bit spiteful towards all. Sorry for the bitterness, it will wear off.

As an international student, I can tell you that the grade standards - at least in my case - were often higher. University of Southampton, for example, asks for AAB for my course, but I was told I would need to get at least 100/100 in my italian maturità. Warwick, AAB for UK students, told me that I would need to take a history A level as well as get a good result in my maturità (which, incidentally, already targeted humanistic subjects like History and Philosophy, Latin and Greek).
I'm not sure if this was the case for everyone, and obviously a lot depends on the university, but in my case applying as an EU student certainly didn't feel particularly easy.
There's a quota. No one's "stealing" any places from domestic students. I have heard this argument so many times and most of them end up being thinly veiled excuses for racism.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Lewroll
Whats up with the font size?

And the universities can let in whoever they want.

:s-smilie:

Erm, no they can't. They are essentially public institutions.
Reply 17
Original post by Molokai
As an international student, I can tell you that the grade standards - at least in my case - were often higher. University of Southampton, for example, asks for AAB for my course, but I was told I would need to get at least 100/100 in my italian maturità. Warwick, AAB for UK students, told me that I would need to take a history A level as well as get a good result in my maturità (which, incidentally, already targeted humanistic subjects like History and Philosophy, Latin and Greek).
I'm not sure if this was the case for everyone, and obviously a lot depends on the university, but in my case applying as an EU student certainly didn't feel particularly easy.

International students often get lower grade requirements.

EDIT: Should have added an "also" there: "International students often get lower grade requirements also."

It happens.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Molokai

Really? That's interesting... I guess I really don't know much about this topic- just wanted a bit of distraction! So did you get on a course in the end. Are you italian? If so, can you tell me do many english students study in Italy? And do they need a high level of italian?
Reply 19
Original post by River85
Yes, I have dual citizenship (Part peoples republic of Northumberland, part the Duchy of Durham).

No, I'm not :p:

That's an interesting background.

Quick Reply

Latest