The Student Room Group

Why is it that each generation of teenagers have become more and more immature?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't think we're that much more immature. It's just that a couple hundred years ago the gossip was more along the lines of "I do believe Mr Whittington took a solitary walk with Miss White the other day, even though we all know he's betrothed to Miss Dawson!"
Skins = waste of time
not everyone watches skins
skins is broadcasted by people "older than teenagers"
Original post by Constructions
It seems that you can't find someone who will act their age these days. All the girls care about are looks and hardly ever take personality into account. And as for the boys, they make the rest of us ashamed of our gender, the way they toss girls around or just have them on for a quick shag and then sack them off. The way everyone bitches about eachother, it's pretty unreal. I hang with this group at school and whenever someone in that group isn't there, the rest of them are talking so much **** about them and it really gets to me, because I know for sure there's been stuff said about me before. Why can't they just grow up? I can't wait to go to college or even so just get out of high school, hopefully there are more mature and genuine people I can meet.

Because everyone is like that :rolleyes:

Just because your friends are immature doesnt mean every teenager is immature
Original post by MissLightyear

Original post by MissLightyear
Because everyone is like that :rolleyes:

Just because your friends are immature doesnt mean every teenager is immature

He is the type of person who jumps onto the "bandwagon of complaint" :gah:
Of course not all teenagers are like as described above by other posters but thats obvious.But I agree,some really are too spoilt.What 13 yr old needs a Blackberry,wears loads of make-up and has had loads of boyfriends.I feel really crap in comparision weirdly though,having had no boyfriend before or a blackberry and only wear miminal make-up.
I know of single mums who are struggling to make ends meet, that will buy their children (the instances I know of were a five year old and an eight year old) iPods for their birthday or Christmas, as well as a mobile phone, Nintendo DS, Wii and Xbox or Playstation, all in one go. Then the kid will spend most of the time just doing what normal kids that age do; having tantrums, breaking stuff, and playing outside. Both of these kids aren't particularly intelligent or well behaved, so I don't know why they are being given such a large amount of good presents.

I am an only child from a two parent family, and both of those parents have always had decent jobs. I never got the amount that these two got, though I did get more than most of my peers. Possibly because they are both in the 40% tax bracket and these two single mums are living in state funded accomodation, but still, what can i teach the kid? Scream and whinge, and I'll buy you everything that all your friends have.
They haven't, you're just exhibiting the classic generational snobbery of those who came before.
Reply 27
I think you're just growing up.
It seems that you can't find someone who will act their age these days. All the girls care about are looks and hardly ever take personality into account. And as for the boys, they make the rest of us ashamed of our gender, the way they toss girls around or just have them on for a quick shag and then sack them off. The way everyone bitches about eachother, it's pretty unreal. I hang with this group at school and whenever someone in that group isn't there, the rest of them are talking so much **** about them and it really gets to me, because I know for sure there's been stuff said about me before. Why can't they just grow up? I can't wait to go to college or even so just get out of high school, hopefully there are more mature and genuine people I can meet.

I see your point but woah there: aren't you being rather stereotypical here? Not every teenager is like this! :frown:

Congratulations! Complaining about "the kids of today" is the first step towards adulthood! :P

There seems to be two opposing schools of criticism on this matter: that kids are either "growing up too fast" or, like you said, are far too immature and act much younger than they are. Despite the fact that these two seem incongruous and perhaps even contradictory, I think they both develop from the same vein: kids/adolescents have more freedom now than they used to. I mean, it's only VERY recently that the "teenager" has been recognised as a distinct subgroup in human development. Before that, children went straight to being young adults.

And whilst a lot of children/teenagers abuse that freedom (as would many people of all age groups, when given any form of freedom), a huge amount of them also use that freedom for good too. How many schools have student-run newspapers, student-run clubs, student councils - how many events and societies and charities are run by teenagers? It seems to me that you're either complaining about one of the fringes of modern teenagers, or that you have a problem with the popular practices of casual sex and drinking that many teenagers engage in. That freedom will ruin some people, but it makes the vast majority far more respectful of other people, because it leads to you learning more about how you can and can't act in society.
I'd say most generations are similar in their teenage years although our generation is rather spoilt technology wise. I've seen kids in primary school with blackberries, HTC smart phones etc. We've got all the social networking and the freedoms of the internet, and more freedom in life in general. Things like facebook can cause people to be more shallow and bitchy in my opinion.

College and Uni won't fix it. You'll still a mixture of incredibly immature people up to people who are probably too mature for their age. Obviously the odds of maturity will rise if the course you get onto requires high A-level results..but then arrogance and stuck-up personalities may also increase, which I suppose might be another aspect of immaturity.

Maybe it's because they lack serious responsibilities. Teens in third world countries are very mature. Or atleast more mature in poorer countries.

Not the ohh i cant buy real addidas trainers kinda poor. No food , people dying around them kinda poor.

What you mentioned upset me alot too. Luckily i'm not at school anymore. Nice and cosy in my room :smile:

I like you, lets be friends. :biggrin:
Reply 32
I blame the media!!!!!!!
I know what you mean, when I look at the younger years at school I just think 'wtf, I was NEVER like that at that age!'
For example, the year 7's are playing this 'game' where they charge around the school, calling it 'Tsunami'. Great to know that's the future.

Though it doesn't represent everyone, there are some good ones that give hope.
Reply 34
Original post by Chillaxer
They haven't, you're just exhibiting the classic generational snobbery of those who came before.

Original post by failingatm
I think you're just growing up.

Just this. Although it does seem that way sometimes, I don't think its much different to before. + Not all teenagers are as bad as you're making them out to be. You're generalising a lot OP
Reply 35

I wouldn't necessarily say we have become more immature, more like we're exposed to less adult things and so it just takes longer for us to get to grips with the adult world.

When my parents were kids, my dad used to drink and smoke at 15/16 just as often as i do now at 18/19, i didn't smoke and rarely drunk at 15/16. Drugs were easier to come by (less harsh laws for getting caught etc) everything was just less strict, my dad got in a fist fight at 17 with a guy who was beating his girlfriend up blatantly in the street :/ I'm sure he went to see 18 films when he was about 15 aswell as there were no particularly enforced laws on this either. 15 year olds today often get i.d'd for 18 films and 99% of the time get i.d'd for alcohol and ciggarettes which they didn't then. He also left school at 15.
My mom used to live in a childrens home from 14 and said most of the kids there were on drugs/teenage prostitutes/alcoholics/heavy smokers. My mom drunk and smoked a fair amount from 16 onwards aswell.

I guess the governments of recent years have introduced laws to protect children more heavily and in doing so it has meant that they just take longer to be introduced to the adult world, of course there have been more good things about this than bad though, 16 year olds shouldn't be drunks who smoke 40 fags a day, they should be in school concentrating on their gcse's/AS Levels.

I do think younger people behave more immaturely with sex these days, but there are plenty of famous influences on this as well as the fact that kids reach sexual maturity much earlier than previous generations. Telling a 15/16 year old now that they shouldn't have sex is like telling someone born in the 50's that they shouldn't have sex at 20. It just doesn't work.

But don't worry, people tend to be a lot more mature in college, although there is still bitchiness etc. but not as much, and then at uni there is very little, people are quite generally accepting and have grown up, especially as there are so many people from different places in the UK/Europe and the rest of the world and they're all in the same boat of not knowing people or only knowing a few.
Reply 36
Original post by Michael Locke
I'm pretty sure every teenage generation has been like this.

^^
Not many pos reps on this thread after all i have spotted some really good comments above :tongue:
Reply 38
It's all relative to your own perceptions. As you get older you will (for most people anyway) become more and more mature. So each generation of teenagers that passes will appear to be more and more immature when in reality teenagers are mature as they've always been it's just your perception of their maturity that changes.

That's my theory anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending