The Student Room Group

Is the game being upped?

Are A*s at A-level advantageous over A's for medicine, or is AAA just a box to tick for the admissions tutors?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by arunadindane
Are A*s at A-level advantageous over A's for medicine, or is AAA just a box to tick for the admissions tutors?

Achieved A*'s are given a slight preference at a tiny minority of medical schools - Cambridge obviously, but then BSMS comes to mind as well. There are a few others too, but I can't remember which - the details can probably be found on the individual med school websites. At all other medical schools (i.e. the vast majority) anything above the AAA or AAB required gives absolutely no advantage and is purely a 'tick box' job.
Reply 2
It can't hurt.
Reply 3
Seen birmingham's website? looks like they're going to start A* offers :redface:

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/undergraduate/med/medicine.aspx
Reply 4
Original post by as_94
Seen birmingham's website? looks like they're going to start A* offers :redface:

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/undergraduate/med/medicine.aspx

I wouldn't be surprised if they started using one of the aptitude tests too, they seem to like having really tough entry requirements. There's pretty much a 9A* at GCSE requirement before interview for undergrads, and they're the only medical school that require a 1st class undergrad degree minimum for their graduate entry programme.

What's so great about Birmingham, eh?:rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by LaRoar
I wouldn't be surprised if they started using one of the aptitude tests too, they seem to like having really tough entry requirements. There's pretty much a 9A* at GCSE requirement before interview for undergrads, and they're the only medical school that require a 1st class undergrad degree minimum for their graduate entry programme.

What's so great about Birmingham, eh?:rolleyes:

The fact they don't have an aptitude test :wink:
Reply 6

Yes they are. When I applied not so much, but more and more unis are changing there entrance requirement for medicine E.g. PMS now want A*AA. In the near future it may hold more value, so its better to try and get them obviously.
Original post by Gowrav
Yes they are. When I applied not so much, but more and more unis are changing there entrance requirement for medicine E.g. PMS now want A*AA. In the near future it may hold more value, so its better to try and get them obviously.

I didn't know PMS now want A*AA. I thought their standard offer had risen only last year from AABa to AAAa?
Reply 8
Original post by ImWithTheBand
I didn't know PMS now want A*AA. I thought their standard offer had risen only last year from AABa to AAAa?

Its gone up again. It's on their website.
Reply 9
Original post by Gowrav
Its gone up again. It's on their website.

but A* is rather down to luck on the day as the margin for error is so small so how can they include that in their offers?
Reply 10
not really, the A* is the equivalent of the A from a few years ago in terms of academic effort.
Reply 11
Original post by Gizmo!
not really, the A* is the equivalent of the A from a few years ago in terms of academic effort.

Not at all. The A* is very very much down to luck. The distance between a B and an A is absolutely massive comparatively compared to the distance between an A and an A* - at least in my year of sitting A-Levels (2008 - 2010). I was obviously the first year to sit the new papers, so perhaps it's less flukey now they've honed it?
Reply 12
Original post by Gizmo!

Not really as you can only lost 30 ums out of 300 in the second year, so no one can be really confident they will get one unless they are getting 100% consistently, so until results day you really dont know, whereas I'm pretty sure even a few years ago you could be fairly confident you would get an A if you had done at least reasonably well on the exams.
Reply 13
Not really as you can only lost 30 ums out of 300 in the second year, so no one can be really confident they will get one unless they are getting 100% consistently, so until results day you really dont know, whereas I'm pretty sure even a few years ago you could be fairly confident you would get an A if you had done at least reasonably well on the exams.

30 UMS is a lot to ascribe to luck. The point in it is to show who does get the best grades, consistently.
Reply 14
Original post by Beska
Not at all. The A* is very very much down to luck. The distance between a B and an A is absolutely massive comparatively compared to the distance between an A and an A* - at least in my year of sitting A-Levels (2008 - 2010). I was obviously the first year to sit the new papers, so perhaps it's less flukey now they've honed it?

perhaps you think i am refering to 2 or 3 years ago. I am referring to the dilution of the A grade in the early 2000s and late 1990s, which I should have made more clear.
in that context, getting a grade A was a lot more down to luck than an A* is. you can dictate almost exactly the amount of marks you will get in todays papers, in my experience. You can ensure you get in any grade margin down to 5 or 6 %, certianly in science exams at least.
Reply 15
sorry old bean, i wasnt ignoring you, but my answer is the same as the one to Beska.
The Game? Wait! What's happened to him?
I reckon AAA will be the standard offer at most institutions for the forseeable future....

obviously some will ask for A*....but I really don't believe it will become a common feature in offers
Reply 18
Original post by Gizmo!
you can dictate almost exactly the amount of marks you will get in todays papers, in my experience.

Do you mean it's possible to tell in an exam if you're gonna get an A*? Am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

If that's what you're saying: no it's nothing like that at all tbqh! It gets exponentially harder to get those last few (1-2) marks needed for an A*, a tiny little mistake and you've dropped the grade, or just not giving the answer that's on the mark scheme (but is still correct), etc. Not sure how the B -> A boundary was like in respects to this back in the day but right now the A* is a very flukey grade.

I would absolutely hate getting offered an A* - there's no way for anybody to know if you're gonna get it or not.
Reply 19
Original post by Beska
Do you mean it's possible to tell in an exam if you're gonna get an A*? Am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

If that's what you're saying: no it's nothing like that at all tbqh! It gets exponentially harder to get those last few (1-2) marks needed for an A*, a tiny little mistake and you've dropped the grade, or just not giving the answer that's on the mark scheme (but is still correct), etc. Not sure how the B -> A boundary was like in respects to this back in the day but right now the A* is a very flukey grade.
Given adequate preparation, i dont think its difficult to top full or near full marks with the questions set these days. nearly all of them questions originate from a past paper question. Its a grind t ocover it and you need to work flat out in the exam, but its certainly within the reach of most people to carry out all that with thje right motivation.

I would absolutely hate getting offered an A* - there's no way for anybody to know if you're gonna get it or not.

i would hate it too. it'd mean endless toiling to ascertain those marks.

but getting an A several years ago was a pretty random thing anyway - which was why getting ABB/BBB offers was the norm back then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending