The Student Room Group

Boss taking advantage!

Hi,

I applied for a job working as general assistant for a charity, and when I got the job it seemed very suspicious; the office was disorganised and full of sweet vending machines, I was often sent out/locked out of the office at random throughout the day, and the task involved hand writing the address on a letter to every Sainsbury's in the country to ask for money (surely one letter to head office would've been more cost/time effective?)

Anyway, it was supposed to be 16 hours a week, but she kept increasing my hours throughout the week, so that I have done over 40 hours in total. On my second day, I was made to walk around the pubs at night with a collection tin -- something that wasn't mentioned in the job description! I also stood for 8 hours in the Co-op doing the same, and had to eat my lunch sitting on the floor of the car park!

She originally said she would pay me every week, but has not done so yet and apparently her accountant only comes in "once a month".

I was eventually given a rota which involved working 9 days in a row(!), so I sent her an email setting out all the problems I had with the work, and asking her to respond in writing to say she agrees to my terms.

Instead, she has been phoning me repeatedly and trying to get me to meet her face to face -- something which would mean I don't have any evidence!

Should I just give up negotions, quit, and take her to court for the money? Or will that make me look bad? I just want to end all dealings with this woman (also, I have suspicions that her charity is fraudulent; it's not registered).
I'd quit the job. But then again, maybe you really want to do it, so its different.

Your idea with the e-mail was very good. You need written confirmation for everything. A face-to-face meeting usually does not provide that. However, you could agree to a personal meeting and take a printed copy of that mail with you with all your problems etc which she and you have to sign.

Don't talk about this on the phone. Her giving you a confirmation in written form (email, signature) is the way to go.
Reply 2
Original post by the_decider
I'd quit the job. But then again, maybe you really want to do it, so its different.

Your idea with the e-mail was very good. You need written confirmation for everything. A face-to-face meeting usually does not provide that. However, you could agree to a personal meeting and take a printed copy of that mail with you with all your problems etc which she and you have to sign.

Don't talk about this on the phone. Her giving you a confirmation in written form (email, signature) is the way to go.

Maybe I will try meeting her with a printed list of concerns, and ask her to write notes next to them if she agrees (and then keep it!).

She just texted me saying "I can't bring a contract when I meet you on sunday as I am doing other things, but don't worry I will buy you a drink and maybe a cake if you are good".

She obviously thinks I am completely retarded. How is a piece of cake a good substitute for a contract? Does she think I want cake so badly that I'll agree to anything to get some?!

Weird.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
The newest tactic in her attempt to manipulate me was a voicemail explaining that if I don't meet up with her before monday morning then unfortunately I am fired. That's all well and good, since she's terrible to work with anyway... but I don't have any contract, so how am I going to get my money out of her?

I feel really initimidated and frightened by this woman.
Original post by ThatHatGirl
The newest tactic in her attempt to manipulate me was a voicemail explaining that if I don't meet up with her before monday morning then unfortunately I am fired. That's all well and good, since she's terrible to work with anyway... but I don't have any contract, so how am I going to get my money out of her?

I feel really initimidated and frightened by this woman.

It's a shame if you dont get your money but if you don't have a contract yet it will be rather difficult. I guess you have only worked for 1 month so there is not much sense in a lawsuit. I say don't worry about it though if it only was this short. You learn from your experience.

Tell her you dont want a drink or cake but a contract. Tell her you only meet up with her if she brings you a contract with the initial job discription. If she doesn't want to meet up under these conditions than I don't think she'll ever give you a contract and there is not much sense for you to stick around anyway. In that case I would just quit or just not turn up for work anymore (to piss her off :P)
Her threat to fire you should not concern you. You don't have a contract yet. To my understanding this means that you are not employed as well. How is she really going to fire you if you are not employed?! :P I am not familiar with UK laws in this regard though.

As far as I can tell, you have everything to gain from this meeting but nothing to lose.
Worst outcome:
You get fired and don't get any money. But from what I understand, you have not been paid until now anyway.
Best outcome:
You finally get a contract with jobdiscription (16h + pay etc) and proper payment.

Thats what I am thinking and what I would do. But again, your life, your decision :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
If she hasn't got a charity number, she isn't a legit charity. It's up to you to judge if she in genuinely in the process of becoming one. If you judge she isn't, and it doesn't sound as though she is, then other things such as contracts of employment are likely to be very hard to come by. You've still had some work experience, but I'd be inclined to quit on this one and find something legit. You aren't likely to be able to take it to court as you have no employment contract.
Reply 6
You've been conned.

Just quit, ignore her phone calls etc and if you want to a job with a charity, go to a registered & well known one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending