The Student Room Group

Collingwood Car Insurance??

Hi there I was on go compare and i was getting a quote on an 04 plate fiat punto 1.2 active sport and the chepest was £1200 and that was collingwood car insurance. So i went onto there website and it says its learner car insurance so can anyone tell me if they insure just normal drivers because i was amazed at that price for full comp for a 17 year old driver and the 2nd cheapest was ecar and they where quoting me £4000.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Craig 1888
Hi there I was on go compare and i was getting a quote on an 04 plate fiat punto 1.2 active sport and the chepest was £1200 and that was collingwood car insurance. So i went onto there website and it says its learner car insurance so can anyone tell me if they insure just normal drivers because i was amazed at that price for full comp for a 17 year old driver and the 2nd cheapest was ecar and they where quoting me £4000.

Thanks

I am 19 years old and have held my license for 7 weeks, I was going to buy a 1.3 ford fiesta zetec but my cheapest quotes on go compare was about £4,500 - £5000. After getting those quotes i opted out of buying the fiesta as for the expenses, I am now looking for quotes on other cars. I just wondered if learner driver insurance will cover people who are new qualified drivers?
Reply 2
Original post by berryboysh
I am 19 years old and have held my license for 7 weeks, I was going to buy a 1.3 ford fiesta zetec but my cheapest quotes on go compare was about £4,500 - £5000. After getting those quotes i opted out of buying the fiesta as for the expenses, I am now looking for quotes on other cars. I just wondered if learner driver insurance will cover people who are new qualified drivers?

Yes i would like to know the same thing because i got quoted on go compare, I put down that i had only held a licence for 2 weeks so why else would they quote me on insurance if they didn't insure people who have just passed
Reply 3
Yes i would like to know the same thing because i got quoted on go compare, I put down that i had only held a licence for 2 weeks so why else would they quote me on insurance if they didn't insure people who have just passed

Send me the link for the learner driver insurance please. Ps. how old are you and how long have you held a full UK license?
Reply 4
Send me the link for the learner driver insurance please. Ps. how old are you and how long have you held a full UK license?

I am 17 years old and I have held a licence since the 15th march 2011 :smile: http://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/
Reply 5
I am 17 years old and I have held a licence since the 15th march 2011 :smile: http://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/

Thanks' I'll check the link out in a min.. I don't understand how I have held a license for 2 months and am 1 and a half years older than you and i'm not getting cheaper quotes than you. I also checked out a 1.2 fiat punto and was getting quoted about £5,000
Reply 6
here's a tip if you have any females in the family put them as additional drivers it'll lower your quote, also check out admiral and elephant so far those two have returned the cheapest quotes for me (on tpft) for for a full year and the 10 month bonus accelerator
Reply 7
I was with collingwood when i was learning but once you pass the insurance is terminated - they "suggested" some companies to me after i passed but they were stupidly expensive - i used go compare/compare the market - my cheapest quote was £1500 - rang them up and got it down to £700 :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Kel2693
I was with collingwood when i was learning but once you pass the insurance is terminated - they "suggested" some companies to me after i passed but they were stupidly expensive - i used go compare/compare the market - my cheapest quote was £1500 - rang them up and got it down to £700 :smile:

Who was that with? And what sort of things did you say to get the price down? You must have the gift of the gab! :smile: the cheapest I'm getting is 1400 with diamond, do most companies give discounts if you call them?
Reply 9
Original post by fudgeeyena

Who was that with? And what sort of things did you say to get the price down? You must have the gift of the gab! :smile: the cheapest I'm getting is 1400 with diamond, do most companies give discounts if you call them?

Im with diamond :smile: And tbh i don't really know how i got it down! i was talking for a while though lol im insured for 10 months and i get a years no claims for it...definitely ring them and do it over the phone. Putting my dad on the policy as a named driver literally knocked about £500 off! Also its a bit cheaper if you pay in a lump sum...if i remember rightly its also cheaper to be a student living away from home than at home if thats relevant. The girl on the phone was really helpful in getting the price down as she wanted me to mention her name in a customer survey...oh and she asked me what my cheapest quote so far was to which i bent the truth slightly :tongue: but i dont know if that was a contributing factor :smile:

^ Actually yeah i just remembered - it was also much cheaper to do the 10 month option thing :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Kel2693
Im with diamond :smile: And tbh i don't really know how i got it down! i was talking for a while though lol im insured for 10 months and i get a years no claims for it...definitely ring them and do it over the phone. Putting my dad on the policy as a named driver literally knocked about £500 off! Also its a bit cheaper if you pay in a lump sum...if i remember rightly its also cheaper to be a student living away from home than at home if thats relevant. The girl on the phone was really helpful in getting the price down as she wanted me to mention her name in a customer survey...oh and she asked me what my cheapest quote so far was to which i bent the truth slightly :tongue: but i dont know if that was a contributing factor :smile:

^ Actually yeah i just remembered - it was also much cheaper to do the 10 month option thing :smile:

That beats my quotes of £4,500 to £5,000 for a 1.2 Renault Clio
Reply 11
That beats my quotes of £4,500 to £5,000 for a 1.2 Renault Clio

Well i remember getting a quote at one point of £86,000 :tongue: and then they rang me up to ask if i considered their quote to be "competitive" ha! I was looking for insurance for ages you'll find a better one eventually - have you tried ikube? http://www.i-kube.co.uk/?gclid=CNvF5oac26cCFQoa4Qodj3ZZ9w They were no good for me but i know someone who reduced their insurance quite alot with it :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Kel2693
Well i remember getting a quote at one point of £86,000 :tongue: and then they rang me up to ask if i considered their quote to be "competitive" ha! I was looking for insurance for ages you'll find a better one eventually - have you tried ikube? http://www.i-kube.co.uk/?gclid=CNvF5oac26cCFQoa4Qodj3ZZ9w They were no good for me but i know someone who reduced their insurance quite alot with it :smile:

NO WAY!!! LOL, £86,000 is pathetic, I could buy a house for that (or 2) lol. I was quoted £36,000 on a 1.3 ford fiesta zetec with the lowest being about £5000. I will check out the link of the insurance company you have just sent me. thanks, I'll let you know how I get on
Reply 13
Original post by Kel2693

I have just had a look on I Kube and I don't think its for me tbh. I don't like the thought of being told when I can and cannot drive. I would not be very comfortable with that
Reply 14
I have just had a look on I Kube and I don't think its for me tbh. I don't like the thought of being told when I can and cannot drive. I would not be very comfortable with that

Yeah i thought the same :smile: and it quoted me like £3000... hmm only generally cheap company i can think of is diamond but tht only helps if your a girl lol
Original post by Kel2693

Wicked, thanks for the help :smile: I'm definitely going to do a 10 month plan, just need to call all the companies that offer it and use their quotes against eachother lol!
Reply 16
Original post by Kel2693
Yeah i thought the same :smile: and it quoted me like £3000... hmm only generally cheap company i can think of is diamond but tht only helps if your a girl lol

Okay, well thanks for the help but I guess i'm gonna have to keep looking

Have you tried bell, admiral and elephant? They're generally the cheapest for young drivers
Reply 18

If i remember rightly the co-op was quite reasonable :smile:
How did you get it down? Like what excuses did you say? In need of cheaper insurance when I pass as I'm freaking out due to brothers in the past having to sell they're cars due to cheap provisional insurance and the plumet in expense when passed!

Latest