The Student Room Group

Can I Still Get an A?

So I'm in year 11 and I'm taking my Maths Module 5 this summer.
To stay at my school next year for sixth form, I have to get at least an A in the subjects I want to study (maths, chemistry, biology, spanish)

In my module 1, I got an A*
In my module 3, I got a B :banghead:

Can I still get an overall A if I get an A in module 5?

I suppose it would average out to an A overall, but I'm just so worried about it, it's ridiculous.

If I don't get the A, I could change maths to a subject that I actually did get an A in, to allow me to stay on for sixth form. But then, would I still be able to do Medicine at uni? I know some of the top universities require you to do maths as an A level, though there are some that don't make it compulsory?

Thanks for reading/commenting/no idea :s-smilie:
Reply 1
You would have to check what ums is required overall for an A grade and you would have to check what ums you have currently, and then work out how much you require for an A. It seems you should be able to get an A with those grades, but thats just a guess. And you can get into medicine without maths :smile:
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure that's possible - I got high As in my first two modules and I have been told if I get a high A* in my next module I can get an A* overall. The last module accounts for 55% of your grade. You should probably tell us your UMS marks or ask your maths teacher to be certain.
Reply 3
A* and B averages at a D I'm sorry to say... An A is beyond you with those grades...

It's GCSE Maths ffs, if you don't get A/A* you shouldn't be considering Medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by tnetennba
I'm pretty sure that's possible - I got high As in my first two modules and I have been told if I get a high A* in my next module I can get an A* overall. The last module accounts for 55% of your grade. You should probably tell us your UMS marks or ask your maths teacher to be certain.

In module 1 I got 102 out of 108

In module 3, it was a lot worse. Something like 130 ish out of 160.

That feels like a low B to me.. So my only option would be to get a high A or an A* :s-smilie:

When I asked my teacher, he said I'm fully capable of getting an A overall, but I'll probably have another discussion with him..

Thank you for the help though :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by shamim2k9
You would have to check what ums is required overall for an A grade and you would have to check what ums you have currently, and then work out how much you require for an A. It seems you should be able to get an A with those grades, but thats just a guess. And you can get into medicine without maths :smile:

gaah thank you :smile:
I know you just really need chemistry and biology, but I'm on target for A*s in those anyway..
The rustle group probably wouldn't accept me without maths though right?
Reply 6
Original post by DragonSlayer29
I know you just really need chemistry and biology, but I'm on target for A*s in those anyway..

You would be fine with just Biology and Chemistry, and most Russell group universities would accept those subjects, although Oxbridge might be a bit picky. However with maths, provided you had all grades and things would make you eligible to apply to any of the medical schools in the UK.
Reply 7

Nope it's wrong :smile: I don't do maths and I have an offer from Belfast which is part of the russel group. However, if you want to keep the majority of options open to you then you are best to do physics or maths. If you didn't though it wouldn't be the end of the world - there are uni's that would take you without it. To keep most uni's open though you would be best to do bio, chem, maths/physics + anything else you're good at that is academic and that you like! (mine was french :biggrin: )

P.s. Your 6th form is slightly evil making you have to get an A in the subject to take at A level! My 6th form wasn't like that at all!
Original post by jklmn
A* and B averages at a D I'm sorry to say... An A is beyond you with those grades...

It's GCSE Maths ffs, if you don't get A/A* you shouldn't be considering Medicine.

If you continue with that condescending attitude, you shouldn't be considering anything.
To stay at my school next year for sixth form, I have to get at least an A in the subjects I want to study (maths, chemistry, biology, spanish)

I suppose it would average out to an A overall, but I'm just so worried about it, it's ridiculous.

If I don't get the A, I could change maths to a subject that I actually did get an A in, to allow me to stay on for sixth form. But then, would I still be able to do Medicine at uni? I know some of the top universities require you to do maths as an A level, though there are some that don't make it compulsory?

AFAIK

No university requires A2 Maths for medicine.

Your modules are each out of 100 right?
If so:

An A* is approx 85/100 (a low A*)
B is approx 55/100 (a low B)

85+55=140

You need around 75% for an A, so you need approx 225/300 to guarantee an A overall. So, for example, if you got a low A* in module one and a low B in module 3, you will need an A* in module 5 to get an A overall. You can do the maths for the other scenarios yourself.

You will get an A. Be positive man!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest