The Student Room Group

I could have gone to a top uni :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I achieved four As in AS and applied for medicine and one medical related course at an Okayish uni. I really did think that I would get into medicine and that I wouldn’t have to use my 5th choice. I have received all 4 rejections for medicine but have an offer for my 5th choice.

There are people in my year with lower grades than me who will be going to top unis. I can’t help thinking about the fact if I wasn’t so confident I could have also gone to a better uni.

I feel so depressed I will be going to do BBB course with A*AA. I don’t know what to do. I know it’s a bit pathetic, but I always wanted to study at a top uni, btw taking a gap year is not an option :frown:
Keep anon please

There's nothing you can really do about this, unfortunately. As you've found out, just getting 4 As isn't going to guarantee you a place on a medicine course.

You have a couple of options really:
a) Accept the place at your BBB course. It isn't going to stop you becoming a doctor if you put your mind to it and get a 1st. You can always do a postgrad degree in Medicine. Plenty of students do it.
b) Decline the place on the BBB course and apply for a different course through Extra. I'm not sure whether you can get into medicine or a different course at a better university (which one is the BBB offer from, by the way?), but Extra is always risky and you can't have your BBB offer back.

Personally, I'd accept the BBB offer and work hard to get a really good degree. From then on, the world is your oyster. You can still become a doctor - it may take a few years of extra study but if you've got your heart set on it, it's by no means impossible.

There's no point dwelling on the past. You can't change it now.

Good luck :smile:
Not being funny or anything, I know it must hurt but you just really need to try and pick yourself up again and look forward to your non-medicine choice, there are so many people in your situation. Do some work experience over the summer and start planning the personal statement, go to your backup as...well, backup and try again next UCAS cycle. If you're so sure that you could have gone to a top university for med, then it will happen!
Reply 22
tbh the fees are going up, I really can't afford it and what if I don't get into med after reapplying :s-smilie:

You don't have to pay fees up front though, just pay the loan back little by little when you're earning above £21, 000 a year. Although I understand what you're saying, the fee increase shouldn't be a reason to completely scrap the idea of reapplying after a gap year.
tbh the fees are going up, I really can't afford it and what if I don't get into med after reapplying :s-smilie:

That only makes sense as an excuse if you're giving up on medicine. If you still want to to medicine, it will be much easier for you to do it as a first degree, as student finance will give you a loan that you pay back when you're earning (and as a jr doctor you might not be rich, but you won't be destitute either, so it's not like you can't afford it), than if you go into medicine after 3 years of another degree, where you aren't eligible for help from student finance and will have to pay upfront.
Reply 24
Original post by NGC773
Take a year out! Medicine is so competitive. My friend has all A* GCSEs and is predicted to get very high A-levels but has only got one offer. Its literally a lottery!

Dont rush into going to uni. You could easily end up going and regret it, take a year out, think about what you want to do and reapply next year

it's not literally a lottery at all.

Original post by LornaSandison1
There's nothing you can really do about this, unfortunately. As you've found out, just getting 4 As isn't going to guarantee you a place on a medicine course.

You have a couple of options really:
a) Accept the place at your BBB course. It isn't going to stop you becoming a doctor if you put your mind to it and get a 1st. You can always do a postgrad degree in Medicine. Plenty of students do it.
b) Decline the place on the BBB course and apply for a different course through Extra. I'm not sure whether you can get into medicine or a different course at a better university (which one is the BBB offer from, by the way?), but Extra is always risky and you can't have your BBB offer back.

Personally, I'd accept the BBB offer and work hard to get a really good degree. From then on, the world is your oyster. You can still become a doctor - it may take a few years of extra study but if you've got your heart set on it, it's by no means impossible.

There's no point dwelling on the past. You can't change it now.

Good luck :smile:

You do not want to voluntarily do grad-entry medicine, it is much harder to get in and way more expensive than standard entry. Reapply if you want to be a doctor OP :smile:

It's not a few years of extra study either, loads of grads end up on the standard five/six year courses (and that's an achievement), and the even luckier ones get onto the four year grad-entry medicine degrees.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
I understand this, it really is one of the most gutting things to be forced to do something under your potential

whats your household income like? if it's £25k+ prolly have a point..

but if you think you can get a full time job in your gap year you may be able to raise £15k...then if you get a part-time job while your at uni you should be OK??? Find out as much about 2012 entry as possible. OR you could have 2/3 gap years and work full time for the duration..it might seem like a long time to wait but in the scheme of your life its nothing. you DO have options.
Original post by Organ
it's not literally a lottery at all.

You do not want to voluntarily do grad-entry medicine, it is much harder to get in and way more expensive than standard entry. Reapply if you want to be a doctor OP :smile:

It's not a few years of extra study either, loads of grads end up on the standard five/six year courses (and that's an achievement), and the even luckier ones get onto the four year grad-entry medicine degrees.

OP said that taking a gap year isn't an option, therefore he has no choice if he wants to do a medicine degree, regardless of how long it takes.
Reply 28
Original post by LornaSandison1
OP said that taking a gap year isn't an option, therefore he has no choice if he wants to do a medicine degree, regardless of how long it takes.

it doesn't make sense to not do a gap year on monetary grounds, but want to do grad entry - seeing as the latter is even more ££ :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Yeh, but with a medicine degree doesn't everyone get the same job?

Too many ignorant students ..
Reply 30
Take a year out - do a lot of relevant medical courses and work experiences full time for the year, and reapply next year. Good luck!
Take a gap year and reapply.
Use the time to volunteer / travel / see the world.
In the meantime, ask a few teachers or people you know who have applied or know about the process (medicine related) who can maybe look over your PS. A lot of the time it's just chance. I know a few people were surprised to find some people at my college had gotten offers for med and others whose grades were higher one or none.
Original post by Ilustrius
Too many ignorant students ..

About?
Reply 33
Did you have work experience at a hospital?

I hear that could be a real advantage.
Same. I ended up going to Queen Mary. :laugh:
Reply 35
Check out Extra or do a Gap Yah. I did that and am so glad i didn't go to my back up !
:console:

:bban:
Reply 37
Original post by gozatron
Do you want to do Medicine or Go to a top uni?

Either way, take the Gap year. What point is there spend three years doing something you don't want to do? Wasting your time and your tutors time.

I like the course that I'm going to study but I just wish that I could study it at a top uni :frown:
Reply 38
Original post by Bellissima
honestly i don't think the problem is your grades. i think it lies with work experience, personal statement and interview.

Really (!)(?)
Reply 39
LOL over confident dick
enjoy watching the people who you think your better than going to a better uni and if you take a gap year have fun watching yourself getting left behind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending