The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paint-a-Picture
Well in that case I think everyone should carry a small knife around, you know not anything personal just 'protection' purposes.

Warrior078 is wrong.

The Kirpan is clearly worn for religious purposes, and the Sikh's who wear this item value their religion (as they have been baptized, not the only reason for valuing their religion) and know the true meaning of possessing this Kirpan, it's for religious reasons.

Sorry, but when was the last time you heard of a Sikh stabbing someone with this religious item?
I don't know why people are saying so much about how only certain sikhs are allowed to carry it, and how they are usually calm or whatever. Frankly I don't use religious values as an arbiter of what should go into the law. If it's blunt, that's cool.
Original post by Iron Mike
The kirpaan's symbolism is irrelevant. The point is the kirpaan is a prohibited weapon in the UK and only Sikhs are exempt from this law. The arguement stands that no one should be exempt from this law as it is puts the public at risk.

Are you saying Sikhs should have more rights than Muslims because there is less extremism done in the name of Sikhism than Islam?

You need to understand something: the Kirpan is part of the Sikh religion and is compulsory.
Reply 203
Original post by notts4life
You need to understand something: the Kirpan is part of the Sikh religion and is compulsory.

I am fully aware of this and I will quote the post above yours as a response to this flawed point of yours.

Original post by Installation
I don't use religious values as an arbiter of what should go into the law.
The kirpaan's symbolism is irrelevant. The point is the kirpaan is a prohibited weapon in the UK and only Sikhs are exempt from this law. The arguement stands that no one should be exempt from this law as it is puts the public at risk.

Are you saying Sikhs should have more rights than Muslims because there is less extremism done in the name of Sikhism than Islam?

You're such a moron. Have you found a case where someone has been stabbed to death by one of these?

Sikh's carry tiny ones, not sharp enough to harm anyone really, which still count as one of the 5 K's.
Original post by Picaa

Fifthly you say "baptised" Sikhs are far more "disciplined and tolerant". Again, you know this isn't true. What about the Ravinder Powar incident? It was all "baptised" Sikhs involved. Similarly the many times the police have been called to Sikh temples in the Midlands and London (Southall) to arrest people who had pulled out Sikh knives and Sikh swords in their various squabbles... What have you got to say about that? Is that what you called disciplined and tolerant?

Lol mate, are you trying to tell me that all strict followers of a religion are perfect. Do you even know what happened in Handsworth in 2006. In fact, I'm not a person to be harsh or attack someone, but for someone to come on this thread and speak out against one of Sikhisms' core value, and then have the nerve to say 'Sikh Temples'. I never knew the word Temple existed in Sikhism. I thought temple was for hindus. Ah yes, a Gurdwara is a Sikh place of worship. You must understand that if you are going to show such ignorance (innocent or not), your views are hardly going to be found credible. Disgraceful to say the least mate :wink:

Listen guys, Sikhs make up half of 1% of the world's population. There's not much of us. The Kirpan is very integral to Sikhism. No one should feel threatened by a Singh wearing a Kirpan, why would you. How can you compare teh Burkha to a Kirpan, when they differ in principle and importance. Let's just put it this way. If the Kirpan was to be banned, the politicians would be going against the orders of our 10th master. Any self respecting person will fight back, and when Sikhs fightback the whole world watches closely. Im sure I like many Sikhs on TSR will take the fight to whoever wants it, should the Kirpan be banned. I would rather politicians and the folk on TSR concentrate on fact finding about the Genocide of Sikhs in 1984, which alone provides perfect justification for the Kirpan.
I am fully aware of this and I will quote the post above yours as a response to this flawed point of yours.

So you effectivly want every Sikh person to not wear a kirpan? I don't want any of this blunt the kirpan stuff, the point of the kirpan is for self defence.

Sorry, but if this is ure argument - then ure basically saying - get out of the country Sikhs.
Reply 207
So you effectivly want every Sikh person to not wear a kirpan? I don't want any of this blunt the kirpan stuff, the point of the kirpan is for self defence.

Sorry, but if this is ure argument - then ure basically saying - get out of the country Sikhs.

Non-Sikhs aren't allowed to carry a knife around with them for self defence.

A 16-year-old boy was wounded at a religious festival in Walsall by a Sikh wielding a ceremonial sword. Faisal's father Khalid Mehmood said:
"Why do you let people carry swords and spears in a family outing like this?'"
Source

This guy has lost the plot. The incident was at the Vaisakhi Mela. Is this geezer a fool, thinking that swords wouldn't be present. Does he even know what Vaisakhi means to Sikhs? Clearly he like most people dont have one clue about Sikhism, yet bash it. I hate such ignorant people.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by okapobcfc08

A 16-year-old boy was wounded at a religious festival in Walsall by a Sikh wielding a ceremonial sword. Faisal's father Khalid Mehmood said:
Source

This guy has lost the plot. The incidenet was at the Vaisakhi Mela. Is this geezer a fool, thiinking that swords would be present. Clearly he like most people dont have one clue about Sikhism, yet bash it. I hate such ignorant people.

LOL exactly my thoughts. Wot a load of ****
Original post by B-Man.
:s-smilie: I think your a bit confused here sharp kirpaans are permitted.

In this incident it left a 12 centimetre wound for those questioning how much damage it can actually do.
Source

The 23-year-old was found guilty of using a Kirpan to inflict more than 100 injuries to his victim's face, head, torso and vital organs
Source

A guy was stabbed with a kirpan in attempted murder, Smethwick. Witnesses reported seeing ceremonial swords being drawn and men carrying sticks.
Source

Source

Also keep in mind that knife attacks happen all the time in the UK and are not given much media publicity unless someone dies as a result.

no, i think YOU'RE confused ...you keep quoting these cases and using them to make generic points

what about the hundreds of thousands of other baptised sikhs that carry blunted kirpans and do nothing with them??

you need to take a second and THINK

why haven't they been made illegal?
because, firslty, they're a fundamental part of a major world religion, whose members have earned the right to practice their religion

but the MAIN reason is that they haven't been a problem in the UK for the decades that Sikhs have resided here

just take a second to think before going along and using those same old isolated cases that have been buried long ago.
Reply 211
Original post by Singh993
no, i think YOU'RE confused ...you keep quoting these cases and using them to make generic points

what about the hundreds of thousands of other baptised sikhs that carry blunted kirpans and do nothing with them??

because, firslty, they're a fundamental part of a major world religion, whose members have earned the right to practice their religion

but the MAIN reason is that they haven't been a problem in the UK for the decades that Sikhs have resided here

just take a second to think before going along and using those same old isolated cases that have been buried long ago.

I haven't made any statement on whether they should be banned or not. I have simply provided news stories for those who requested them or claimed there has never been an incident of misuse.
Reply 212

This. Sidi Gal
Source

This guy has lost the plot. The incidenet was at the Vaisakhi Mela. Is this geezer a fool, thiinking that swords would be present. Clearly he like most people dont have one clue about Sikhism, yet bash it. I hate such ignorant people.

LOL exactly my thoughts. Wot a load of ****

lol this is a good fightback by the Sikhs on this thread. People have literally 0% clue over what the incidents have been about. Let me tell you something. One incident has no credibllity, as no-one died, and the father doesn't know what Vaisakhi is. The Powar incident was the cause of massive tension in Birmingham area around Sikh politics. It was just a coincidence that the Kirpan was used, a normal knife or other weapon could have been used. The other incident involved a psyco who lost the plot, but then every religion has it's nutters. Only four sources have been quoted, which 3 automatically disrespect Sikhism. If you want the Kirpan banned on 4 sources, what crack are you on mate?
Original post by B-Man.
I haven't made any statement on whether they should be banned or not. I have simply provided news stories for those who requested them or claimed there has never been an incident of misuse.

The point is ure quoting crap events. Melas and ****. I mean wtf
Reply 215
This thread is ridiculous! There's very few Sikhs who carry a kirpan and those who carry it don't go around stabbing people. If it was such an issue it would be all over the news! The burkha is a bigger threat, you can carry all sorts under it. Are you a muslim? Because I think you have a personal issue with Sikhs for starting this. Prick.
Reply 216

This thread isn't about the blunted ones. It's about the ones that are potentially dangerous.
Reply 217
The point is ure quoting crap events. Melas and ****. I mean wtf

What difference does it make that the misuse of the kirpaan happened in a mela?
Reply 218
Original post by Brightdays
One law for all is very intolerant and goes against what many like to take pride in this country being. The UK prides itself in accepting other cultures and religions and accommodating their beliefs.

Tolerance is not making exceptions for people because of their beliefs. Tolerance would be permitting those things for everyone, unless there is a very good reason not to.

There are good reasons for not permitting people to carry dangerous weapons around. Maybe there are also good reasons for allowing people to carry them if they can prove they will do so responsibly. But whatever the decision is, it should apply to everyone, not single out a particular religion.
Original post by Psyk
This thread isn't about the blunted ones. It's about the ones that are potentially dangerous.

yea and given the number/usage of them, the risk is minimal

you don't have a clue - no disrespect here, but in your eyes the kirpan poses a massive risk with every other baptised sikh carrying a sharpened kirpan to go on a murder spree

just think , for a second "pysk"; the reason the kirpan hasn't been banned is because it has proved to be something of very very little risk in society.

how many times to you hear of non-religious youth in gangs stabbing each other?
compare this to the minuscule number of cases whereby a kirpan was involved?

there's only a tiny handful of cases

the kirpan doesn't pose a significant enough risk to deprive followers of a major world religion the right to practice their faith

/thread

Latest

Trending

Trending