The Student Room Group

Black women and natural hair

Why aren't black women never confident about their natural hair? I'm black myself and it really saddens me when girls are scared of their natural hair. Isn't natural afro hair deemed attractive on women or something? Nearly all the black women I know either 'relax' their hair or wear wigs and weaves.

Confident black women who aren't scared of their natural hair - I love y'all :smile:

Scroll to see replies

i love afros- people should embrace it :smile:
Media. That's all.
Reply 3
Tbh I think I speak for the majority of black/mixed race women- My natural hair was so so so hard to manage. It could take hours just to comb the whole lot properly (i have very thick, quite long hair) so relaxing it is like a godsend
Everyone has beautiful hair, i personally love afro-hair even though i dont have it :frown:
some girls choose to get thier hair relaxed, its their choice as long as they are proud of who they are, it doesnt really make a difference. Girls that arent black, dye their hair colour, no one says "oh your not proud of your race"....lol people are just jealous, every person is beautiful and unique,
I was confident about mine but relaxed it because I wanted to. I grew it out (took ages) had it natural for a while, then relaxed it again because I wanted to.

Sometimes people do just do what they want I think.

I've never had a weave though..they aren't my cup of tea.
Reply 6
curly hair is ugly :s-smilie:
Original post by hiimkaytee

Why do you think this?
just because a black person wears a weave or relaxes their hair doesn't mean theyre unconfident it's just their choice. Although afro is defintely the best :daydreaming:

What about white people who tan their skin or change the texture of their hair from curly to straight? :dunce:
Reply 9

Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Why do you think this?

:rofl:

This ought to be fun to watch unfold :colone:

what?
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Why aren't black women never confident about their natural hair? I'm black myself and it really saddens me when girls are scared of their natural hair. Isn't natural afro hair deemed attractive on women or something? Nearly all the black women I know either 'relax' their hair or wear wigs and weaves.

Confident black women who aren't scared of their natural hair - I love y'all :smile:

I am, I just don't have afro hair. :dontknow: & I never have it out, a ponytail will do me for life :biggrin:
I'd love to have an afro though :yep:
Reply 12
Original post by flowermaster91
just because a black person wears a weave or relaxes their hair doesn't mean theyre unconfident it's just their choice. Although afro is defintely the best :daydreaming:

What about white people who tan their skin or change the texture of their hair from curly to straight? :dunce:

What I meant is the people who tell me they don't like their hair. Of course assuming that anyone who wears a weave or relaxes their hair hates their hair is ig'nant
Reply 13

Surely not!!

Many women like doing their hair, it doesn't mean they're ashamed of their natural hair.
Original post by Anonymous

I am black too, and a girl. I am not scared of my natural hair... it is just painful to comb and impossible to manage. This is why I relax my hair. I would love to wear my hair natural, but it would be a nightmare! :/
omg please no pictures of rihanna, she doesnt represent the black community with her massive drawback and cat strangled singing voice :naughty:
Reply 17
Original post by flowermaster91
omg please no pictures of rihanna, she doesnt represent the black community with her massive drawback and cat strangled singing voice :naughty:

We're talking about hair, not her singing voice. Although I do agree with you...
Original post by loling909
Surely not!!

I love Thandie Newton!
Way too cute and underrated!
Reply 19
I have natural hair, and I love it. What I find strange is that white people love my hair and are more accepting of my hair, whilst other black women like to ask 'what happened to your hair?' The women that ask this either have a draw back or some jacked up weave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending