The Student Room Group

French military jets over Libya

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
:facepalm:

1. Whilst I do not condone the use of nuclear weapons at all, fact is that the bombings brought the deadliest conflict (or event of any kind) in human history to a close months (years) before it would have ended should the Allies have had to invade Japan and slog through every town. Would you like to think how many millions more would have died then had the war gone on even longer? Japan's armed forces were prepared to fly fighters into the decks of aircraft carriers to kill thousands of allied personnel, and the Imperial Japanese Army can be held directly responsible for one of the worst atrocities of the war - the Rape of Nanjing. Millions died in Manchuria.

2. Just because a state has committed terrible acts in the past (lord knows that pretty much every state has a dark chapter in it's history) does not mean it should not be allowed to constructively to a more peaceful future. Where's the logic in that?

3. So rebels with legitimate grievances against an illegitimate regime that seized power are terrorists, now? Gadaffi and his cronies are better described as the terrorists here - do you have any idea of the amount of funding and resources that Gaddafi's regime put into the IRA and other terrorist groups around the world in the 70s and 80s? His agents were directly responsible for Lockerbie, one of the worst terrorist atrocities in history, and for that he will never be forgiven.

GTFO.

+rep.

By the way: I didn't know that there was a direct link between Gadaffi and the Lockerbie incident?
Original post by Ano1
Don't you get tired of being fed this propaganda, and swallowing it up?

I wonder why countries like Brazil and India aren't in Libya.

It’s about the OIL, it always has been. Who do you think funds these governments in the first place.

It's not about "the oil" for crying out loud. Sure, Libyan oil is naturally exported to a lot of European nations because that's where demand is and where Libya is closest to, but have you stopped to think about how little a percentage of Europe's oil comes from Libya? The shortfall caused by a drop in Libyan production was immediately covered by Saudi Arabia. Libya's oil reserves are not huge or particularly valuable and certainly not worth starting a war over.
Reply 42
Original post by Rzc
I find it very weird how people easily criticise the UK government for not doing enough in countries where their leaders are bombing their own people...when we do take action, everyone complains and says it's for oil.

So what if it is for oil? - public seems to complain about that a lot too...

Couldnt agree more.
Zomg French planes are flying over Libya, Oh noes!!1! Gaddafi's shaking in his swagged up clothing, I bet he's laughing at the french - he was even quoted mocking them a few days ago, he said Libya beat them in Algeria? or something

also, French military - isn't that an oxymoron?

but french jokes aside.... yeah about time isn't it that international action is being taken against Gaddafi
Original post by Xurvi
That's where you're wrong. It's not an invasion. The jets are only striking back and, at least in the case of France, war won't happen on the ground. The jets are only there to prevent any more massacres and enforce the cease fire.

Oh, and if Libya had deployed an aircraft carrier and started bombing Ireland during the troubles I'm sure that would have been seen as "enforcing the ceasefire."

It's an internal political struggle between two groups with neither having the moral high ground, our intervention isn't necessary.
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Zomg French planes are flying over Libya, Oh noes!!1! Gaddafi's shaking in his swagged up clothing, I bet he's laughing at the french - he was even quoted mocking them a few days ago, he said Libya beat them in Algeria? or something

also, French military - isn't that an oxymoron?

but french jokes aside.... yeah about time isn't it that international action is being taken against Gaddafi

Actually, the last time the French and Libyan militaries met in the Libyan-Chadian War, France completely melted the Libyan army in conjunction with Chadian forces in opposition to a Libyan incursion, and Gadaffi's forces ran home, tails between their legs.
Original post by imperial maniac
It's an internal political struggle between two groups with neither having the moral high ground, our intervention isn't necessary.

One side is a tyrant killing his own people, the other side is the people, and you're telling me there isn't a moral high ground?
Reply 47
Sakozy, Obama and Cameron of course need the boost. They are all not very popular and are trying to just white knight the libyan people, they can't believe their luck that this is happening at the best time...

It's not about oil, ignorant ***** are saying that, libyan oil isn't valuable at all, being re-elected is.
Why the **** are we even getting involved with this conflict?! - It's nothing to do with Britain, we have enough problems of our own without getting involved with once another random war.
Original post by DH-Biker
+rep.

By the way: I didn't know that there was a direct link between Gadaffi and the Lockerbie incident?

Yeah... I'm fairly sure Gadaffi publicly said he was responsible for, funded or supported the Lockerbie bomber, you can find the quote floating around the internet somewhere but he's that defiant and confident at the moment

He's practically taunting 'The west' and certain countries and daring them to do something, it's almost comical
Reply 50
Original post by imperial maniac
Oh, and if Libya had deployed an aircraft carrier and started bombing Ireland during the troubles I'm sure that would have been seen as "enforcing the ceasefire."

Gadaffi's accepted the cease fire demanded by the UN security council but his partisans are still fighting and using heavy weapons to destroy residential areas. Tanks and whatnot are bombarding Benghazy despite the cease fire that was agreed. So yes, it is about enforcing the ceasefire.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Actually, the last time the French and Libyan militaries met in the Libyan-Chadian War, France completely melted the Libyan army in conjunction with Chadian forces in opposition to a Libyan incursion, and Gadaffi's forces ran home, tails between their legs.

Oh right, interesting... not too familiar with French military excursions and conflicts in africa but yeah, don't know what exactly Gaddafi was talking about but he seems to like taunting the French

Libya isn't exactly a renowned military power worldwide, so he should just keep quiet imo
Reply 52
Like it or not the tribes go well beyond Libyas borders and there is overwhelming support for gaddafi.

This will not be over in months or years even....
Reply 53
Original post by reptileface
Why the **** are we even getting involved with this conflict?! - It's nothing to do with Britain, we have enough problems of our own without getting involved with once another random war.

I agree, it's about the oil but some people wanna think its about civilians. Where was the outcry when the amercians bombed iraq and even pakistan to get rid of rebels. now they're helping them? its all in their own greedy intrests.
Reply 54
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Yeah... I'm fairly sure Gadaffi publicly said he was responsible for, funded or supported the Lockerbie bomber, you can find the quote floating around the internet somewhere but he's that defiant and confident at the moment

He's practically taunting 'The west' and certain countries and daring them to do something, it's almost comical

I wonder if he'll still be defiant and dominant when / if the UN Security Council's armed forces come strolling in. :cool:
All I can say is that its about ****ing time.

Very proud of the UK and French government for pushing for this from the get-go, and finally got it through.

Give it a week, and NATO might also get involved.
Reply 56
Original post by Ano1
I agree, it's about the oil but some people wanna think its about civilians. Where was the outcry when the amercians bombed iraq and even pakistan to get rid of rebels. now they're helping them? its all in their own greedy intrests.

The outcry was everywhere around the world. Were you in a cave when all the protests about stopping the war worldwide happened?
As mentioned earlier, Libya's oil reserves are fairly negligible. Also, several middle east countries have supported this action so it's not some kind of West vs Middle East action.
Reply 57
Original post by Xurvi
The outcry was everywhere around the world. Were you in a cave when all the protests about stopping the war worldwide happened?
As mentioned earlier, Libya's oil reserves are fairly negligible. Also, several middle east countries have supported this action so it's not some kind of West vs Middle East action.

i meant the one in pakistan, my bad. ive made my point about the oil, if people want to think its about civilians (rebels in arms) then do that.

edit - so why dont the arab league deal with their problems? did they help with bosnia etc (in europe). no.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ano1
Don't you get tired of being fed this propaganda, and swallowing it up?

I wonder why countries like Brazil and India aren't in Libya.

It’s about the OIL, it always has been. Who do you think funds these governments in the first place.

Hello, police? I think I'm getting trolled.

How the **** is that evidence to support your argument?

The fact the West buys oil from Libya =/= the West is trying to take control of Libya's oil supply

lrn2formlogicalarguments

There is no propaganda, anyone who has studied international relations from a neutral p.o.v. can easily see how ****ing retarded your arguments are.
Reply 59
Not that I like Gadaffi in any way, we should keep the **** out of this. It may, if we intervene turn out like Iraq or Afghanistan. Besides Libya were a prosperous country before, and pretty harmless to the west. We should just keep ourselves out of this, and let them sort themselves out.

As for France, they are ruled by an egotistic napoleon complex sufferer, and also need to keep their noses out of other country's businesses.

And as for Syria, WTF was Cameron thinking when he encouraged revolutions there?
it just proves that he has very little of an understanding about how the world runs. Although he is very intelligent, he is a bad leader.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending