The Student Room Group

Grade A Students - How often do you revise?

Scroll to see replies

You people are weird.
I tend to revise better during my free periods in school as I find it difficult to revise at home,and I try to do 2 hours a day at my local library. I sometimes push it up to three hours a day for subjects I find more difficult/think I need more time on.I usually have a saturday off when I'm working and fit in homework around it all.
I don't tend to start revising until about a month before exams. Depends whether you have study leave too. I just work through textbooks over a few weeks until I have covered everything, then I do past paper questions. In the 2 weeks or so before exams I don't tend to do more than about 4 hours a day done (with no study leave) but maybe 2 hours on each subject a day with study leave (I do 4 intense A levels). This seems to work for me but others are best not leaving it as late...
I already started revising the units we finished in school because I do NOT want the same thing to happen this year (last year I didn't revise enough and ended up retaking 3 stupid units... got A's though!)
I look and my notes and do LOTS of questions.
Original post by Zottula
I started revising 2 weeks before the summer exams. I regret leaving it that late. I was working solidly for those 2 weeks. It was not fun and rather stressful.

Revise early and spread it out more. In future I shall do all my revision as I'm going along.

I have to tell you - you probably wont

You'll probably be sitting there this time next year saying "for my second year exams I will do things as I'm going along and write the essays in good time"
Original post by gchaggar75
is that it? I do a few hours

then you revise more than me. like i said, varies between people.
Revise until you feel confident in the material.
Test yourself-past papers, etc.
Repeat process.
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
I revise everyday from sun up till sun down. Then I relax, sleep and repeat the process.

I hate school. Its such a waste of time.

Woo further maths :smile: which modules are you doing at the moment?
Original post by tehsponge
You people are weird.

Oh, why is that,
Reply 29
Oh dear I need to start revising!!
Reply 30
Original post by The_Goose
I have to tell you - you probably wont

You'll probably be sitting there this time next year saying "for my second year exams I will do things as I'm going along and write the essays in good time"

Yeah this is quite possible :frown:. Although the amount of motivation I had for A levels was an improvement on GCSEs where I couldn't be bothered at all. I'm hoping this trend continues and that I'll be more motivated for my degree. It helps that I'm going to be studying something I'm really passionate about :smile:.
Reply 31
Don't take this as advice, but I tend to only revise about half a week before the exam (if that), sometimes I scan through my book checking up on the things I don't know about as well as everything else on the day of the exam. It's never done me wrong so far, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Original post by thelooby94
Woo further maths :smile: which modules are you doing at the moment?

I've done FP1, I'll be starting FP2 and FP3 after my exams in June.
Did about 2 weeks worth of cramming (meaning about 3 hours a day I seem to remember?) before exams. Had to learn half a year's worth of chemistry and the whole of biology A2 from scratch in about 5 days.

Result? 5As - Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics.

Trust me, it's a whole lot worse at uni. Enjoy it while you can.
Original post by mintmocha
Revise until you feel confident in the material.
Test yourself-past papers, etc.
Repeat process.

Exactly this. :smile:
I start revision no less than 2 months before the first exam, so rather than the Easter break being an actual break, this is the point at which I start. Through the year though, I do the absolute minimum in terms of notes at school or at home, but I listen and take it all in during the lessons.

So at Easter, I begin to revise subject/module in order of the exam date. I read the textbook and make very precise notes page-by-page. I try to condense the information as much as possible, still keeping the required specifics, and usually tend to come out with approx 20 A5 sides of paper for each module. This is done for a few hours pretty much every night for the full 2 months, and notably starting no earlier than 11pm - I just cannot work during the day or even the evening. I have to say, doing all this really cements it into your memory. No need for other memory techniques, like many people end up trying to cram before the exam.

Now, starting 1 week before an exam, I do ALL the papers available (in order, obviously) finishing with the last entry's paper on the morning of that module's exam - meaning I'll do the Jan11 paper on the morning of the June11 exam. Completing exam papers for upcoming exams is in addition to the revision that I'll still be doing for the later modules exams. This is when it can get stressful as the work starts to sort of overlap.

Well that's that, really.. my revision tips don't usually help as it's quite unique & specific to me & the work is quite intense, but feel free to try it - I'd advise that at least :smile: Also, I'm a perfectionist - I do it until I'm satisfied that it's genuinely impossible in my mind to fail to get a high A :/

Finally, I have to say that by doing the work like this, should you forget a line or two to an answer in an exam, you can actually remember exactly when you wrote such similar lines in the notes and sort of pull them off the page back into your head. So the method kinda brings on a photographic memory, that's what I've found anyway.

Hope it helped.. Btw: when it comes to sleep, I just sleep at like 5am for a while before college and then again after college :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by thelooby94
Oh, why is that,

People saying they revise like 5 hours a day. It isn't necessary at all...
Reply 37
A few hours a day. But that's not all learning - i start making my notes in preparation for . . . my actual preparation? Well, i'm a little excessive in any case, but notes followed by past paper questions alway works well for me :smile:
Reply 38

LIAR

I promise I'm not lying! I learnt hypothesis testing on the train to my S1 exam and got 88% lol. I tend not to do things until I absolutely have to. I used a really good website called livemaths.co.uk when I did start revising though, without I'd have probably got an E. The no TV thing works though cos you have to revise or you'll just be bored.
Reply 39
Original post by Leodora
I promise I'm not lying! I learnt hypothesis testing on the train to my S1 exam and got 88% lol. I tend not to do things until I absolutely have to. I used a really good website called livemaths.co.uk when I did start revising though, without I'd have probably got an E. The no TV thing works though cos you have to revise or you'll just be bored.

a website that makes profit out of things that are available for free. are you sure you found it useful?

Quick Reply

Latest