The Student Room Group

What is your experience of university - Good? Bad? Both?

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would find out about everyone else's experience at university.

I don't know about you, but it has progressively got better for me over the course of my three years. Even though the work is harder now, I live with much nicer people than in the first year when I was stuck with a group of strangers I did not get on with, in a halls of residence!

Hope you are all having fun though.

Charlie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in first year now, and it's not brill. My life is so much more fun at home! It made me appreciate my mates at home a million times more to be honest. I think it'll get better, next year i'm living with great people instead of the plebs i live with now.
Reply 2
I like it, its awesome.
Mine was both amazing and awful. My health made my degree experience rather hellish at times but despite that I made wonderful friends for life, had amazing tuition, learnt a lot about myself, learnt how to love and be loved, and had lots of hilarious experiences that will be great to tell the grandkids one day :biggrin:
Why didnt you get on with your flatmates? (anyone who didnt feel free to answer :ninja:)
Reply 5
Jealous of people who've had a great time, mine was complete and utter ****.
The reason I didn't get on with them was because we were all really different people and we did not have much to bond over.

Plus, it didn't help that we were all on different courses - so when I had an early start the next day, they would all come back late from clubbing and would scream shout and play music loudly so I couldn't sleep!

It is much better now though, because I chose who I wanted to live with and we all get on, and we are on the same course too! Happy days ...
Reply 7
Original post by charliebrandworth

it has been life changing, eye opening, scary as hell..... the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me .
Reply 8
It has been good and bad.

Life-changing, has taught me a lot about myself and other people, it has helped me grow, see the bigger picture, become independent. By far the biggest, longest and most enlightening roller coaster of my life yet.
Reply 9
At first I didn't like it, but now I'm liking it a lot more. A few months ago I was thinking of transferring unis because I was unhappy but then I realised I would only be transferring because I didn't like the accommodation I was in or my flatmates, but next year I won't be living with them so it was a pretty stupid reason.
Reply 10
Original post by HumanNature1992
Why didnt you get on with your flatmates? (anyone who didnt feel free to answer :ninja:)

I didn't not get on with them I just never made friends with them, mainly because we didn't have anything in common. Out of the people I lived with in my first year;

- Some were final year students who already had a group of friends
- One was a 33 year old mature student who wouldn't talk to anyone and was very bitter about being stuck with a load of 18-22 year olds.
- Ones idea of a "fun" night out was a classical music concert in the cathedral - very different to what I do on a night out.
- One couldn't speak any English. Whenever I tried to talk to her she would answer everything with "hi" because that was the only word of English she knew.

There were two girls who were more similar to me but they were both on the same course and mostly did things with the people on their course. Luckily I made friends with the people on my course so I didn't mind not having friends in my halls.

In response to OP's question my experience of university has been mostly good. There have been some bad times but I don't think you can go for 3 years without any bad experiences, and the good far outweighs the bad. If I compare the way I am now to the way was on my first day of university I have definitely grown up a lot and I will be sad to leave at the end of this year.
Reply 11
Original post by emi_sarb
I didn't not get on with them I just never made friends with them, mainly because we didn't have anything in common. Out of the people I lived with in my first year;

- Some were final year students who already had a group of friends
- One was a 33 year old mature student who wouldn't talk to anyone and was very bitter about being stuck with a load of 18-22 year olds.
- Ones idea of a "fun" night out was a classical music concert in the cathedral - very different to what I do on a night out.
- One couldn't speak any English. Whenever I tried to talk to her she would answer everything with "hi" because that was the only word of English she knew.

There were two girls who were more similar to me but they were both on the same course and mostly did things with the people on their course. Luckily I made friends with the people on my course so I didn't mind not having friends in my halls.

In response to OP's question my experience of university has been mostly good. There have been some bad times but I don't think you can go for 3 years without any bad experiences, and the good far outweighs the bad. If I compare the way I am now to the way was on my first day of university I have definitely grown up a lot and I will be sad to leave at the end of this year.

How does somebody only know the word "hi" yet study at an English university?
Original post by 2ndClass
Jealous of people who've had a great time, mine was complete and utter ****.

What uni did you go to?
Reply 13
I had some of the best times of my life at uni but also the worst. I loved the place, my rooms, my college, the supervision system and tutors, my friends and all the traditions that went with Cambridge life, but the course was so so difficult that it made me hate almost everything about it. I think it was a trade off- if I went to a university where the course was easier I might have been happier, but then I would have missed out on all the good things and the support systems etc, which suited me to a T. Plus some of the bad stuff (e.g. my friend dying) could have happened anywhere so who knows....
Reply 14
First year, having an awesome time.

Meeting all the different types of people here though, it's enlightening. There are so many drama queens!
Reply 15
It's been a mixture. I've had both the best and worst experiences of my life whilst here. I've had some really fun times and some really tough times and the tough times currently have impacted my psychological health and physical health but I'm hoping it will get better. I'm trying to improve my way of thinking. It has also made me mature (in some ways), grow as a person and has opened the doors to so many new opportunities and I'm doing new thing, experiencing a lot and learning a lot about the world and myself. I've also met some fabulous people and made a lot of friends. I'm just in need of some time to get my head straight, but I will have an awesome time until that point. :smile:
Reply 16
it has been the best and worst time of my life so far. I love my course but found it hard to motivate myself. Had to move flats but luckily the friends i have made are amazing and i know ive got a bunch of friends for life. Ive got involved with guys i shouldnt have but you live and you learn. I am much happier now with lots more friends, experienced so much more and basically having a rollercoaster ride but most of its fun and being a student :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by HumanNature1992

A few days after I got there, I was in the common kitchen. I looked in the fridge to grab some food, only to see a pizza covered in mould. So I threw it out.

TL/DR everyone decided I was a thief, and shunned me. Unfortunate misunderstanding, but nothing I could do about it once it happened.
Pretty boring, much rather be somewhere else tbh.

Could be worse though.

Meh sums it up best tbh.
Original post by paddy__power
Meh sums it up best tbh.

This. Living in a city is awesome though, best thing I've ever done.

Latest

Trending

Trending