The Student Room Group

Lost my job today

I'm not gonna whine about it, just I've been practically a model employee and the other temp who got the permanent position really isn't.

I mean, I've never been off sick, never been late, never had a disciplinary, never had a complaint etc, and he has had all of those. I work really hard and he slacks off but I'm the one who loses his job.

I don't understand. Has this happened to anyone else before? I think it might have something to do with me going to university but that's not until October.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ilickbatteries
I'm not gonna whine about it, just I've been practically a model employee and the other temp who got the permanent position really isn't.

I mean, I've never been off sick, never been late, never had a disciplinary, never had a complaint etc, and he has had all of those. I work really hard and he slacks off but I'm the one who loses his job.

I don't understand. Has this happened to anyone else before? I think it might have something to do with me going to university but that's not until October.

Why are you making a thread about it then?

Sorry but.. .:confused:
Original post by EffKayy
Why are you making a thread about it then?

Sorry but.. .:confused:

To try and find out why!
Reply 3
I'm not gonna reply to you, but he may have gotten on better with your boss.
Reply 4
Your view is merely subjective. Bye.
I I think it might have something to do with me going to university but that's not until October.

It probably has everything to do with that. You haven't said what type of work it is but I'm assuming it's fairly basic if you have not been to university yet. For this type of work, people who are not going to university and do not have aspirations are preferred.
Original post by Smack
It probably has everything to do with that. You haven't said what type of work it is but I'm assuming it's fairly basic if you have not been to university yet. For this type of work, people who are not going to university and do not have aspirations are preferred.

Yeah, it's just a retail position. He's said he wants to go full time after college and I was only wanting to go full-time during the summer holidays.
Reply 7
Did the other person have any kind of personal connections to the boss/know them beforehand/relative etc? Because as annoying as it may be, people tend to favour those they personally know.
Reply 8
Yeah, it's just a retail position. He's said he wants to go full time after college and I was only wanting to go full-time during the summer holidays.

:ms: Clearly there's no point taking you further when you're only gonna leave in a few months time. Even if he's useless, he's still a better investment than you.
Original post by emeleh
Did the other person have any kind of personal connections to the boss/know them beforehand/relative etc? Because as annoying as it may be, people tend to favour those they personally know.

He started a few weeks after me and my manager asked me what he was like. He's not even particularly well-liked but I think me not being available after October has swung the decision in his favour. Still fairly gutted but I'm happy knowing that its probably not because he's a better employee than me, just his circumstances are better than mine.

Original post by Phobia27
:ms: Clearly there's no point taking you further when you're only gonna leave in a few months time. Even if he's useless, he's still a better investment than you.

I suppose. I just found it odd that she offered me a permanent position that never materialised then magically he gets hours that I was meant to be getting. He is a better investment, I guess. Even if he is completely and utterly useless.
the big mistake was telling your employer you plan to go to university!
Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers
the big mistake was telling your employer you plan to go to university!

I thought it would be a good thing to mention in the interview :redface:
The same thing happened to me.
I thought it would be a good thing to mention in the interview :redface:

think outside the box man. an employer will be reluctant to commit time, effort and money to an employee that they know will leave them soon
Reply 14
I was in your position. Telling employers you're going to university is a big no no.. They won't accept you. Trust me. Unless you're just doing weekends.. And even then they can be funny because they like you to be fully flexible with your hours.
Reply 15
Cheer up man, just think, there are people worser off:

Reply 16
I suppose. I just found it odd that she offered me a permanent position that never materialised then magically he gets hours that I was meant to be getting. He is a better investment, I guess. Even if he is completely and utterly useless.

Bosses are bastards like that. I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago - I was told I'd get a permanent position along with three other new people, and then we were all let go after a month. They said "as you know, you were only hired for the half-term period", which was a flat-out lie.

It's frustrating, but that's how things are these days. With hardly any hours going, you can't take it personally when you draw the short straw.

I just wish employers would be straight with their employees, rather than promising permanent positions that don't exist.
sorry to learn of this misfortune to befall you :frown:.
unfortunately companies care less and less for loyalty to employees these days,and prefer to have arrangements that suit them - and if they think this other person would be more 'useable' asset for them in terms of hours they can make them work,etc, then they go for this. :/

x
I lost my job today.

That was careless of you.
Reply 19
well you've learnt your lesson now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending