The Student Room Group

How much like YOU are You at University?

I was wondering, when I head off to university later this year, how much like my current self i will be like. How i will develop socially, and generally how I'll be different in different circumstances.

So, those of you at University, how much are you (at university) like you (at home) and what are the differences?
Original post by Dixxy
I was wondering, when I head off to university later this year, how much like my current self i will be like. How i will develop socially, and generally how I'll be different in different circumstances.

So, those of you at University, how much are you (at university) like you (at home) and what are the differences?

I'm pretty much the same at university as I am at home.

I'm maybe more relaxed at home, and slightly more...'professional' at uni due to my degree.
I'm just me, but at home in a more suppressed way -- because I'm always working at home or just not accepted :h:
I am entirely the same...I am loud, opinionated, inappropriate and socially awkward without even trying to be :smile:
Different around different people - i.e can't be my proper self around my housemates because they respond weirdly to good humour...also I dont like them...
Reply 5
I'm 100% me :biggrin:
A lot more reserved generally, because my flatmates are quite tame I don't feel I can be as outrageous, crazy and fun as I am with my home friends.
Enjoying it here all the same though :smile:
I'm probably more outgoing at uni, and slightly ruder!
Original post by Holly Hiskey

Original post by Holly Hiskey
I'm probably more outgoing at uni, and slightly ruder!

Definitely ruder in my case haha
Original post by Dixxy

Everyone acts different for like freshers week and the first week or so as it's absolutely manic everywhere...

After about 2 weeks i was back to my old self though and found more people like me and settled in. Was good...

Meanwhile the people i hung out with on freshers week are failing/dropping out of uni to reapply next year so i'm glad i didn't get in with their crowd...
At uni I tend to kick 'me' up a notch by about 10%.

So to answer your question, I'm 110% me at uni.
Original post by Dixxy

I'd say I'm pretty similar to when I was at home. Just a bit more experienced with social situations not found at school.

My friends from home still seem to like me though :tongue:
I think I'm quite different. I find it very hard being sociable here, my moods are more extreme, I spend a lot of time either feeling extremely tired or in a zombie-like work mode.
In general a little more relaxed and sociable at uni than at home, just cause most of my close friends are at uni. But mostly the same.
Reply 14
Uni has really changed me. I can't really describe how, but I know a lot of my values and attitudes have changed (or developed, more like) in the last year and a half. Maybe I'd say I'm more confident, more out-going but also more open-minded and laid-back. I'm still myself, and of course I'm still the same person that I was before, but people who knew me at sixth form would probably say I've 'changed'. However this 'change' also applies when I'm at home - I think it's just about maturing and having new experiences under your belt in life as a whole.

In regards to friends, I've always altered my behaviour slightly depending on my company, but I think everybody does that subconsciously. Also there's a definite connection between my home friends that I've still not quite reached with (some of) my uni friends. Even if we haven't seen each other for months, as soon as we're back together everything seems to fall into place just like it used to be. :smile:
Reply 15
0.01% me
I'm much more spontaneous and leaping at chances to try new things - at home I live away from the action and my folks are quite strict so at uni I am more free! But in general I am more myself at university then I ever was at home and have a wider and more diverse social circle.

Quick Reply

Latest