The Student Room Group

JSA - Back to Work Session?

I have just been booked in by the JSA people for a mandatory Back to Work Session which lasts an hour at a local college. Has anyone been on this? What exactly happens? Is it just an hour long presentation? i.e. we all sit back and watch somebody going through a bunch of powerpoint slides? or do I have to do some talking?
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
Mine was just a short powerpoint presentation on various ways to find jobs and which places were recruiting locally at that time. It was short, and at the end we all queued to sign on without anyone bothering to ask what we'd been doing to look for jobs. It probably only lasted half an hour! No stress.
Reply 3
Original post by Jelkin
Mine was just a short powerpoint presentation on various ways to find jobs and which places were recruiting locally at that time. It was short, and at the end we all queued to sign on without anyone bothering to ask what we'd been doing to look for jobs. It probably only lasted half an hour! No stress.

To sign on? What, like sign something to say prove you had attended? If not that, how do they know you attended? Do they take a register or something?

Do I get asked any questions directly such as what have I been doing to look for work, what sort of work I would like to do or anything else?
Reply 4
Original post by yozzo
To sign on? What, like sign something to say prove you had attended? If not that, how do they know you attended? Do they take a register or something?

Do I get asked any questions directly such as what have I been doing to look for work, what sort of work I would like to do or anything else?

No no, it's instead of having your regular sign-on for that week. You know the booklet you usually take in, and the thing you sign to say you showed up so that you can get your money, you literally just go up and sign it and get them to sign it and leave. They don't ask you anything, though you will have the opportunity to ask questions during the presentation if you want.

So if you didn't attend you would not get your money for the week and they would ask about it and you'd possibly lose your benefits, same as any normal week. It's really nothing to get worked up about!
Reply 5
Original post by Jelkin
No no, it's instead of having your regular sign-on for that week. You know the booklet you usually take in, and the thing you sign to say you showed up so that you can get your money, you literally just go up and sign it and get them to sign it and leave. They don't ask you anything, though you will have the opportunity to ask questions during the presentation if you want.

So if you didn't attend you would not get your money for the week and they would ask about it and you'd possibly lose your benefits, same as any normal week. It's really nothing to get worked up about!

Reason I ask is I have a big fear of speaking in front of people I do not know. I signed on thursday and my back to work session is monday, do I still need to take my book? You mean the green book? I do not have a booklet that they sign. They present me with a booklet to sign.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by yozzo
Reason I ask is I have a big fear of speaking in front of people I do not know. I signed on thursday and my back to work session is monday, do I still need to take my book? You mean the green book? I do not have a booklet that they sign. They present me with a booklet to sign.

If it's not on your normal signing day you probably won't sign anything other than a register. You don't need to take anything in with you.
Reply 7
Original post by gateshipone
If it's not on your normal signing day you probably won't sign anything other than a register. You don't need to take anything in with you.

Is it just a presentation as others have mentioned?
Original post by yozzo
Is it just a presentation as others have mentioned?

Yeah
Reply 9
I found them useless cos they just tell what you already know.
Reply 10
Original post by ufo_01
I found them useless cos they just tell what you already know.

Me too. Seriously, do we need to waste 30 odd minutes being told how to write CVs, Applications, and what jobs are on their site?
Reply 11
Original post by Knowslian
Me too. Seriously, do we need to waste 30 odd minutes being told how to write CVs, Applications, and what jobs are on their site?

Yeah you know , and they speak to us like we're stupid.
Original post by Knowslian

Most people don't but the previous government said they had to be done for everyone, even if most people get nothing out of them.

The staff aren't fans of them either to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending