The Student Room Group

Linear Or Modular

PLEASE READ THIS:

Maths

I have a choice of doing edexcel UNIT 3 modular maths in june or the Whole edexcel linear paper.

On both papers i need to achieve a C to get an overall C grade

So what is easier to get a overall C grade on, Edexcel Linear paper Or Unit 3 Modular paper?
(edited 13 years ago)
Linear, the grade boundaries are very lenient, especially if you do higher.
Reply 2
Original post by thisisjokes
Linear, the grade boundaries are very lenient, especially if you do higher.

What do you mean by very lenient?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ju1c
What do you mean by very lenient?

I don't have any knowledge on Foundation, but on the Higher tier for the November exams, you only needed 68/200 for a grade C, and you could drop 64 marks, and still get an A grade.

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/November%202010%20Grade%20Boundaries%20-%20GCSE%20Full%20Course%20(Linear%20Specification).pdf

Modular exams tend to have higher grade boundaries as less questions tend to be in the exam, this can make it harder to get the grade you want.
Reply 4
Edexcel Maths

I have an exam in june and i have to decide if i want to do the linear paper or Unit 3 modular. I have already taken Unit 1 and 2 for modular exams.

On both papers I need to get a C grade to get an overall C

Should i do the linear paper this june or unit 3 modular this june, which will be easier to get an overall C on?

Note: Do not move my thread as I have spoken with a mod and It is allowed to stay here.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
Higher Tier Linear = 35% to get a C. Easy peasy.
Reply 7
Original post by Nayred
Higher Tier Linear = 35% to get a C. Easy peasy.

Wont i have to revise more topics though, seeing as Unit 3 Modular has way less topics?

I've already completed Unit 1 and Unit 2 in the modular btw.
Original post by ju1c
Edexcel Maths

I have an exam in june and i have to decide if i want to do the linear paper or Unit 3 modular. I have already taken Unit 1 and 2 for modular exams.

On both papers I need to get a C grade to get an overall C

Should i do the linear or unit 3 modular, which will be easier to get an overall C on?

Note: Do not move my thread as I have spoken with a mod and It is allowed to stay here.

I thought you have to do Unit 3 modular then? It's called Linear/Modular for a reason o_o...? Depending on what mark you've got on Modular (you need 240/400 on modular...)...whilst in Linear you would've done some of those topics anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by Procrastinate
I thought you have to do Unit 3 modular then? It's called Linear/Modular for a reason o_o...? Depending on what mark you've got on Modular (you need 240/400 on modular...)...whilst in Linear you would've done some of those topics anyway.

Yes i know but if you read I have a choice of doing either the Linear paper or just staying with the modular.

The point is I need a C on both of these papers to get an overall C grade, so which one do you recommend, which one is easier?
Reply 10
Original post by ju1c
Yes i know but if you read I have a choice of doing either the Linear paper or just staying with the modular.

The point is I need a C on both of these papers to get an overall C grade, so which one do you recommend, which one is easier?

I haven't done modular, but if you are having second thoughts about linear then just do modular.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending