The Student Room Group

geography, one of the easiest a-level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by LJ.
Same, I basically have no life since taking Geog and Eng Lit.
Currently resitting LT1 for the third time, and its not about re-revising while trying to keep up with A2 at all.

And how people can say Geog is easy i do not know.
Proper piled up with work in that too, also resitting G1 for the third time.

Gen Studies sounds like a bit of a joke of an A-level to me, esp when its said to be harder than Maths etc ...

Tell me about it! I'm only doing my AS levels but if I miss a lesson or don't understand one concept I'm screwed because everything links with everything and I have to basically re-learn all the physical Geo because I just didn't understand! AAAAH

English Lit is a nightmare, jumping through the AO hoops are the bane of my life.
Reply 41
Original post by eliw92
English an easy subject? Have you even done English A Level? Same with Politics, I'm sure if it was so 'easy' I put be putting a hell of a lot less effort into it.

I do English.
Don't agree with that at all. Geography isn't easy at A Level, more for the fact that AS, well for AQA anyway, is hard compared to A2.

Also General Studies hard? I think it's only only hard because no one does any work for it.

That list makes no sense, and bet teachers would disagree with it.
Original post by Phil1541
I take Maths, Physics, Biology and Geography

I find Geography the hardest.... the list is pointless as subject difficulty is different for each person

You've beaten me to it. +rep
Are you kidding me? Okay, the course itself isn't that bad, but the exams are absolute monstrosities. I just can't fathom paper 1. I've sat the paper twice now, and can't manage better than a D! ):
Original post by Olliee
Easiest =/= most useless.

Easiest subjects, then you could consider English one, yes. However it's actually quite useful (well, if you want to go into journalism and stuff like that). Is Geography useful? No. Sociology, Law, Politics, Economics, Psychology? Er, no.

I would probably argue the opposite. English is a fairly difficult subject, but its usefulness in terms of practical application is pretty questionable, unless you want to be a teacher or a journalist. I'm studying for an English Lit degree at the moment, and whenever I tell people that I can almost see the logical leap they make in their minds before proceeding to ask why I want to be a teacher. :tongue:
How on earth is English Literature on there?!
Reply 47
Original post by Olliee
I do English.

Why say it's easy then? English Lit is considered one of the most challenging A Levels.
Reply 48
Why say it's easy? Because it is easy.. There's logic, you see. Or, as you might say, 'method in the madness'.
This list is pointless and I would have expected better from the independent as it is obviously going to be different for each person.
I mean take me for insatnce. I took Maths, Physics, Product Design and Geography. Out of those 4 subjects I found maths by far the easiest and geography by far the hardest. How hard you find each subject is all dependent on who you are as a person and so never take a subject based on the opinion that it is easy through word of mouth.
Reply 50
Original post by Olliee
Why say it's easy? Because it is easy.. There's logic, you see. Or, as you might say, 'method in the madness'.

There's logic in every subject though, so wouldn't that make every subject easy? I wouldn't exactly call English logical, Maths I would. But English is more about opinion and analysis, there isn't always a straight forward logical answer, that's the whole point of it - interpretation.
Reply 51
Really just dont understand the point of making a list.
Different people are going to find different subjects easier. Obviously!
But, no matter what their talent. Geography is NOT easy.
Reply 52
Original post by eliw92
There's logic in every subject though, so wouldn't that make every subject easy? I wouldn't exactly call English logical, Maths I would. But English is more about opinion and analysis, there isn't always a straight forward logical answer, that's the whole point of it - interpretation.

No - I mean there's logic to my reason to say that it is an easy subject.
Photography above English Lit? Right...

Honestly- it's about your own personal strengths and weaknesses, aptitudes, etc etc. Some Mathsy people absolutely can't do English. Some very bright people can't do languages. Lists like that aren't to be taken seriously.
Geography a level is hard :frown:
believe me i know..i got an A at gcse but now im working on something alot lower and im an A2
alevels are hard full stop...sociology isnt easy either so stop dumbing it dooowwnnn
Reply 55
Original post by Olliee
No - I mean there's logic to my reason to say that it is an easy subject.

Explain why it is then.
Reply 56
I have already said.. Because I find it easy, therefore I see it as an easy subject. And it is not just me that sees it so; many, many people do.
Reply 57
Original post by Olliee
I have already said.. Because I find it easy, therefore I see it as an easy subject. And it is not just me that sees it so; many, many people do.

Many, many people?
Can I ask you a question then, does General Studies deserve to be third on that list?
Surely the list is just pointless really, everyone finds different subjects difficult, you find English easy, someone else ('many, many people') may not. It is subjective.

P.S. Note to you: Revise the correct use of semi-colons.
Reply 58
Original post by eliw92
Many, many people?
Can I ask you a question then, does General Studies deserve to be third on that list?
Surely the list is just pointless really, everyone finds different subjects difficult, you find English easy, someone else ('many, many people') may not. It is subjective.

P.S. Note to you: Revise the correct use of semi-colons.

Thank-you for your note, but considering I have used a semi-colon correctly and that we are not examined on their usage, then I think I shall pass.
I do Geography, Physics and Chemistry.

I've always scored higher in Geography exams from KS3 to A level so yes, I find Geography easier. Its still a highly respected subject, especially if you look on the Trinity college cambridge subject tables, it sin the 'high desirable' section.

Just because its easy isn't anything bad, but I don't think its truly representative of anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending