The Student Room Group

Coalition forces launch attack in Libya

Apologies if someone has already created a thread on this - couldn't see one when I hit create new thread!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12796972
BBC News
The UK, the US and France have begun attacking Libya as enforcement of the UN-mandated no-fly zone gets under way.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron has confirmed that British planes are in action over Libya. French planes flew reconnaissance missions and destroyed Libyan vehicles earlier on Saturday.

US media say the US has fired Cruise missiles on Libya from a warship.
MORE:

Spoiler

Live updates from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12776418
An article for those who don't like long words or sentences: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1367800/Libya-Rebels-shoot-fighter-jet-Gaddafis-forces-break-ceasefire.html
I'm guessing this could potentially be merged with a previously existing thread, although it is a pretty major turning point in the events unfolding in Libya recently.

Thoughts? Was this action too late, too severe or premature?

My thoughts: Hopefully Gaddafi will see that he simply cannot fend off the coalition forces and simply resign. However, given that he appears to believe he can pretend there's a ceasefire to the world it would appear he is more than a little delusional and may hold on for as long as he possibly can, to the detriment of his country and the people of Libya.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A US military chief says a total of 110 Tomahawk missiles have been launched against Libyan sites. He said the Coalition operation has been named Odyssey Dawn.
Original post by Manitude

No war!
Reply 3
Original post by U.S Lecce
A US military chief says a total of 110 Tomahawk missiles have been launched against Libyan sites. He said the Coalition operation has been named Odyssey Dawn.

What news source are you using? I could put a link to that in the OP in addition to the BBC news one.
Reply 4
What news source are you using? I could put a link to that in the OP in addition to the BBC news one.

Its the bbc live update one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12776418

Lol overkill much, over 100 missiles... I do believe that though. American response
Reply 6

Right, cheers.
Reply 7
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Lol overkill much, over 100 missiles... I do believe that though. American response

I am not sure all the missiles are American, Sky merely says coalition vessels have launched the missiles.
Reply 8

I think the mainly came from british submarines?????

As far as i can tell the americans haven't begun their part yet, however a bbc quote says that british submarines have fired a number of tomahawks missiles. And the american guy was just stating how many were fired.

Then again 110 is a bit much by british standards, we probably only own about 110 lol, so maybe it was the americans or both.
Reply 9
Cameron really needs to rethink the Strategic Defence and Security Review on the back of this.
Reply 10
Lol overkill much, over 100 missiles...
I'm not sure that there's any such thing in war.
Reply 11
On a side note, the tomahawk missile seems like a very powerful peice or kit. At 1300kg per missile i doubt anything can survive a hit by one of these!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(missile)
(edited 13 years ago)
Apologies if someone has already created a thread on this - couldn't see one when I hit create new thread!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12796972

Live updates from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12776418
An article for those who don't like long words or sentences: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1367800/Libya-Rebels-shoot-fighter-jet-Gaddafis-forces-break-ceasefire.html
I'm guessing this could potentially be merged with a previously existing thread, although it is a pretty major turning point in the events unfolding in Libya recently.

Thoughts? Was this action too late, too severe or premature?

My thoughts: Hopefully Gaddafi will see that he simply cannot fend off the coalition forces and simply resign. However, given that he appears to believe he can pretend there's a ceasefire to the world it would appear he is more than a little delusional and may hold on for as long as he possibly can, to the detriment of his country and the people of Libya.

Too late?? These actions should have never occurred in the first place!! I will now be wandering why our government does not invade China, Russia, Turkmenistan, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Somalia etc etc.

While we are at it, we may as well go and protect the world! Let us go and save the Chinese people and North Koreans etc etc - this is a debacle and I have officially lost all faith in Cameron - I have a good mind to assassinate him before 2011 is up! :mad:
I think the mainly came from british submarines?????

As far as i can tell the americans haven't begun their part yet, however a bbc quote says that british submarines have fired a number of tomahawks missiles. And the american guy was just stating how many were fired.

Then again 110 is a bit much by british standards, we probably only own about 110 lol, so maybe it was the americans or both.

These aren't... You know, nukes.

They're just missiles.

The Telegraph says the same thing...
Reply 15
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Too late?? These actions should have never occurred in the first place!! I will now be wandering why our government does not invade China, Russia, Turkmenistan, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Somalia etc etc.

While we are at it, we may as well go and protect the world! Let us go and save the Chinese people and North Koreans etc etc - this is a debacle and I have officially lost all faith in Cameron - I have a good mind to assassinate him before 2011 is up! :mad:

But potentially hundreds of lives could have been saved had it been imposed soon after it was initially mentioned. I don't have the figures for the number of deaths in the fighting recently but I can't imagine it to be less than a few hundred.

I'm not saying that I think it was too late though, just that it could be seen that way.

You seem to put far too much effort in to be a troll.

Are you mentally deficient? It's okay.
Reply 17

Different situations need to be approached with different stratagies. It's all fine saying why don't we do this in other places, and in a way you are right, but like i said we are not able to approach all situations in the same way. However with this libya fiasco we are able to directly with military action to help the oppressed people, and i feel we should do if we can, and if it is the best action to take.
Reply 18
Original post by concubine
These aren't... You know, nukes.

They're just missiles.

I know i was joking, hence the lol.
It's apparently just one part of a multi-phased operation, hmm military ground intervention to be implemented at some point? We'll have to see

They're (The 'coalition') using military force anyway so yeah, not too sound excited by war or anything but it would be cool if some protoype Rail-guns were used on Libyan Targets... totally wreck stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending