The Student Room Group

Ways to revise GCSE.

In terms of actually 'Learning', such as If I have the book or information of the stuff I need to revise how do i start? What techniques can I use?

Best way to revise? I know past papers but actually learning.

Science : ...
English : ...
Maths : ...
etc.

Can someone please give me ways to revise and please tell me how long before the exam I should start revising.

I don't even know what to revise :/

Thanks! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

same
Reply 2
Hi guys I'm currently in year 11 and have just done my Biology GCSE.
My grades:
B1- 86/100 A (UMS)
B2- 76/100 B (UMS)
B3- 100/100 A* (UMS)
Biology ISA 39/40 A* (Raw marks)

The reason why I listed my grades are because I would like to know whether I could get an overall A* in Biology, to get an overall A* you need 360/400 and if you add my UMS marks you will see that I'm on 262 (excluding the ISA) therefore in the ISA I need 98% UMS. I need to know whether 39/40 is 98%, I asked the head of science in my school and he told me that 38/40 or above in all ISA's are 100/100 (UMS converted), do you guys think this is true?

It will be really helpful if you can answer my questions as you can see I'm really worried
Thanks in advance!!
Reply 3
Original post by Worries
My grades:
B1- 86/100 A (UMS)
B2- 76/100 B (UMS)
B3- 100/100 A* (UMS)

The reason why I listed my grades are because I would like to know whether I could get an overall A* in Biology, to get an overall A* you need 360/400 and if you add my UMS marks you will see that I'm on 262 (excluding the ISA) therefore in the ISA I need 98% UMS. I need to know whether 39/40 is 98%, I asked the head of science in my school and he told me that 38/40 or above in all ISA's are 100/100 (UMS converted), do you guys think this is true?

It will be really helpful if you can answer my questions as you can see I'm really worried
Thanks in advance!!

Hi there.

You can post a new thread in the GCSE forum here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=216
You could write notes for the stuff you want to revise. Though I'm not sure what you mean by 'learning.'
Reply 5
Original post by Worries
My grades:
B1- 86/100 A (UMS)
B2- 76/100 B (UMS)
B3- 100/100 A* (UMS)

Thanks in advance!!

yep 38/40 and above is 40 ums

i dunno how to revise for english my teacher basically said she cant teach us to get an a star. wtf!?
Reply 6
86+76+100+100 = 362/400 = A* congrats!

That ISA mark is either 98 or 100, which still guarantees your A*.
Reply 7
Original post by DavidCrow
86+76+100+100 = 362/400 = A* congrats!

That ISA mark is either 98 or 100, which still guarantees your A*.

Thanks a lot
Reply 8
Original post by 2pasda
yep 38/40 and above is 40 ums

i dunno how to revise for english my teacher basically said she cant teach us to get an a star. wtf!?

mate do you mean 38/40 is a 100 UMS or 40?
Reply 9
Original post by Josh_Dey
Hi there.

You can post a new thread in the GCSE forum here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=216

thanks mate it's just that I'm new on this
In terms of actually 'Learning', such as If I have the book or information of the stuff I need to revise how do i start? What techniques can I use?

Best way to revise? I know past papers but actually learning.

Science : ...
English : ...
Maths : ...
etc.

Can someone please give me ways to revise and please tell me how long before the exam I should start revising.

I don't even know what to revise :/

Thanks! :biggrin:

I'm at university and I use a programme called 'anki' to revise. Its really good. Its basically virtual flashcards and anki keeps repeating the cards you get wrong and repeats them. It then produces a graph to let you know how you are improving over time. You type the information you want on the flashcard yourself at the beginning so you can use it revise pretty much anything.

Regarding how long before the exam you need to start revising, I would suggest a month.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Worries
mate do you mean 38/40 is a 100 UMS or 40?

im pretty sure 38/40 is 100 ums why dont u trust teacher?
Reply 12
Original post by laura_802
I'm at university and I use a programme called 'anki' to revise. Its really good. Its basically virtual flashcards and anki keeps repeating the cards you get wrong and repeats them. It then produces a graph to let you know how you are improving over time. You type the information you want on the flashcard yourself at the beginning so you can use it revise pretty much anything.

Regarding how long before the exam you need to start revising, I would suggest a month.

Nice website!

Thanks, this helped a lot. I was told to revise 6 weeks before an exam but it doesn't matter :smile:
When it comes to revision its best to first make a timetable. I suggest that you spend the week revising old stuff and the weekend going over things you have learnt in that week.
When it comes to what you learn, usually for subjects like Maths and Science they have learning objectives. If you follow them I think you should be fine. If you can't find them you should just ask your teachers if you can have a copy of the syllabus.
If you go online there's probably loads of websites and stuff for GCSE revision. I think gcse bitesize is good for science.

how long before exams you should revise : it depends, spend most time on hard subjects and less time on easier ones. usually people revise maybe about 2 months before their exam. talk to your teachers about it (although i can imagine that they'll say you have to start NOW) :smile:
Nice website!

Thanks, this helped a lot. I was told to revise 6 weeks before an exam but it doesn't matter :smile:

No problem, glad to have been of help :smile: Good luck with your exams. x
Revision cards. You learn the whole syllabus while you're doing it AND they're easier to access and read when you're done. Also, past papers.
Original post by 2pasda
im pretty sure 38/40 is 100 ums why dont u trust teacher?

When we did our Bio ISA few weeks ago-

a friend of mine got 37/40 = 92ums and other friend got 38/40 = 95 ums!
Original post by Worries
My grades:
B1- 86/100 A (UMS)
B2- 76/100 B (UMS)
B3- 100/100 A* (UMS)

Thanks in advance!!

Is this ahmed? Wow, what a scary co-incidence! LOL. It's shuaib, did you go leafleting then? lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
lol why did you nearly copy my thread word for word that i posted 4 days ago??

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30370116

Original post by tracker1
This question has been asked before; though no one has answered it in the manner in-which I am looking for.

In terms of actually 'Learning', such as If I have the book or information of the stuff I need to revise how do i start? What techniques?

Science : Best way to revise? I know past papers but actually learning.
English : //
Maths : //
etc.

Many thanks!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest