The Student Room Group

Gap year after rejections - anyone doing it?

Hi guys,

I applied for dentistry this year and have now recieved all 4 rejections. Is anyone else in this position? And what is your plan now?

Anyone have any idea on what would be good to do in the gap year i now have to take..?

Any opinions would be very helpful :smile:

Good luck everyone
Reply 1
what are your academics/ukcat out of interest?
a level predictions: A*AA
ukcat: like 620 or something (quite low, i know)
Reply 3
Yes. I'm in the same boat as you.

GCSEs: 6A*, 3A
AS-Level : AAAA
A level: A*A*A
UKCAT: 690

Work Experience:
2 weeks at general practice
1 week orthodontic practice
1 week dental hospital

Applications:
Sheffield: Rejected (After interview)
Newcastle: Rejected (After interview)
Leeds:Rejected (Before interview)
Manchester: Rejected (Before interview)

I think I was weak on teamwork and far too nervous in the interivews. I'm still awaiting feedback though.

During my gapyear, I think I'll do more work experience, voluntary work (perhaps abroad) and maybe paid employment.
Original post by Chemist3000
Yes. I'm in the same boat as you.

GCSEs: 6A*, 3A
AS-Level : AAAA
A level: A*A*A
UKCAT: 690

Work Experience:
2 weeks at general practice
1 week orthodontic practice
1 week dental hospital

Applications:
Sheffield: Rejected (After interview)
Newcastle: Rejected (After interview)
Leeds:Rejected (Before interview)
Manchester: Rejected (Before interview)

I think I was weak on teamwork and far too nervous in the interivews. I'm still awaiting feedback though.

During my gapyear, I think I'll do more work experience, voluntary work (perhaps abroad) and maybe paid employment.

Yeah i was way too nervous at my interviews too.. i came out feeling like i'd said nothing useful. :frown:
What makes you think you'll do better next year as far as interview goes? Also will the rise in tuition fees for next year not affect your decision?
Reply 6
Well, now I know what real interviews feel like, I'm better prepared. I also know a mentor whose going to help me for free, he said his own daughter suffered from the same problems at interviews so he trained to help her. When I say nervous, I mean I could hear my heart pounding away, I'm surprised the interviews didn't notice. I also had my hands clasped together. It was only until the end of the interviews that I got used to it and was surprised that the time had passed so quickly.

As for the fees increase. I'll keep my debt letters from the student loans company and frame them in my surgery. That way patients can't claim that I'm doing the job for the money.
Original post by Chemist3000
Well, now I know what real interviews feel like, I'm better prepared. I also know a mentor whose going to help me for free, he said his own daughter suffered from the same problems at interviews so he trained to help her. When I say nervous, I mean I could hear my heart pounding away, I'm surprised the interviews didn't notice. I also had my hands clasped together. It was only until the end of the interviews that I got used to it and was surprised that the time had passed so quickly.

As for the fees increase. I'll keep my debt letters from the student loans company and frame them in my surgery. That way patients can't claim that I'm doing the job for the money.

I agree so much with you.

And 'HumanNature1992' ... the gap year will enable me to prepare better for the interviews and improve my techniques. I now know and understand what interviews are like and so am willing to give it another shot, becasue I know I can and will be a good dentist.
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
I agree so much with you.

And 'HumanNature1992' ... the gap year will enable me to prepare better for the interviews and improve my techniques. I now know and understand what interviews are like and so am willing to give it another shot, becasue I know I can and will be a good dentist.

Why did I get negged for it :confused: they're reasonable points
Reply 9
heres advice to people thinking of re applying, i wont be posting any more advice about gap years so people read this

Personal Statement:
this is what is going to get you your interview and probably the most important part of the whole application, other than predicted grades/ukcat.
you need to show:-
-motivation for dentistry
-work experience
-manual dexterity
-non-academia/extra curricular
-volunteer work (preferably of a caring nature)
-evidence of team work/interpersonal/leadership skills (duke of ed./sport)

Extra curric:
i would advise anyone to try and do the duke of edinburgh award if its available, silver or gold, it is incredibly useful when coming to write your statement. you will find to complete the award you have to do a variety of things that tick off a lot of the boxes for your ps. interpersonal skills, team work, leadership and organisational skills to name a few.

Take up a team sport if you dont do one already as being a dentist it is obviously vital to be able to work as part of a team.

music/drama or any hobbies that show your manual dexterity need to be mentioned. if you dont have anything to show your manual dexterity then take something up like pottery classes/ airfix model building.

the way in which this is written is extremely important, you MUST link everything to dentistry and how it would make you a good dentist.

work experience:
- nhs general practise is a must
- try organising some at a hospital if you can e.g. max fax
- dental lab is also useful, try to do something practical e.g. make a denture which you can take to your interviews to show your manual dexterity

get as much experience as possible in as many different areas as you can.
maybe arrange some voluntary work abroad to africa like tanzania, malawi etcc or asia like cambodia or india
also, start writing your personal statement in the summer....
try and make your personal statement with unique hobbies

also improve on your ukcat score, start preparation earlier etcc and do more practice papers..

CHOOSE uni wisely
Original post by HumanNature1992
Why did I get negged for it :confused: they're reasonable points

Ha you got negged by someone for this comment as well :tongue:
are you a dental applicant?
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Ha you got negged by someone for this comment as well :tongue:
are you a dental applicant?

just wait till 2moro when i can rep again :colonhash:

No but i'm on a gap year
Original post by HumanNature1992
just wait till 2moro when i can rep again :colonhash:

No but i'm on a gap year

What are you applying for then? and what are you doing in your gap year?
Is no one else doing a gap year ??!!!
Reply 14
would doing a masters help at all in regards to applying ?
Reply 15
There are plenty of people reapplying for both medicine and dentistry these days, and taking a gap year and trying again can be one of the best things you can do. I'd really recommend it, if you work hard you're FAR more likely to reap success second time around :smile: I was a reapplicant myself, so feel free to PM me for general advice even though I'm a medic

Quick Reply