The Student Room Group

Sussex or East Anglia? Help!

I'm planning to study English and Philosophy next year and have narrowed my choices down to sussex and east anglia.

i'm not worried about either academically, the courses both sound great, i'm more worried about the student life/social side of things. At the moment sussex is my favourite - i'd love to be in Brighton and i really like the campus. on the other hand, i've heard that the campus isn't as good socially, the student union is rubbish and it's really quiet. also, the accomodation isn't great and everything is really overpriced.

UEA on the other hand is in Norwich, which is okay, but not so great. also, it's not quite as great academically. it seems like there's much more of a community on campus and a lot more going on, maybe it would be a lot easoer to make friends.

Basically i just want to go somewhere where i can have a good time and get a good education. please help with my dilemma!!! :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by dizzy177
I'm planning to study English and Philosophy next year and have narrowed my choices down to sussex and east anglia.

i'm not worried about either academically, the courses both sound great, i'm more worried about the student life/social side of things. At the moment sussex is my favourite - i'd love to be in Brighton and i really like the campus. on the other hand, i've heard that the campus isn't as good socially, the student union is rubbish and it's really quiet. also, the accomodation isn't great and everything is really overpriced.

UEA on the other hand is in Norwich, which is okay, but not so great. also, it's not quite as great academically. it seems like there's much more of a community on campus and a lot more going on, maybe it would be a lot easoer to make friends.

Basically i just want to go somewhere where i can have a good time and get a good education. please help with my dilemma!!! :confused:

I can offer you some advice here. When you say 'UEA on the other hand is in Norwich, which is okay, but not so great.' I really cannot understand where you're coming from.

I've visited a lot of uni's, such as Southampton, Kings College, Bristol, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leeds...but none of them compare to UEA. When I looked round, the atmosphere was SO great, and the people were just so lovely. They have so much going all the time and really take pride in a great social atmosphere. As well as that, Norwich itself is an absolutely amazing city, probably one of the best in the country. It's voted in the top 10 places to shop, and the nightlife is pretty awesome too.

I may be being biased however because I have lived in Norwich for 10 years, but you will have an amazing time if you go to UEA.

Sussex as well is a great choice, and I am still deciding between that and Lancaster to be my insurance. It's a hard decision because Brighton is also very lovely. I've visited quite a few times and I love Brighton a lot, so I think it depends on what you prefer....

If you haven't visited Norwich yet I can tell you a bit about it if you like?

Also, where did you hear about Sussex not being so good socially? I'm just wondering coz I don't know whether to put it as my insurance or not!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by beth_simpz
I can offer you some advice here. When you say 'UEA on the other hand is in Norwich, which is okay, but not so great.' I really cannot understand where you're coming from.

I've visited a lot of uni's, such as Southampton, Kings College, Bristol, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leeds...but none of them compare to UEA. When I looked round, the atmosphere was SO great, and the people were just so lovely. They have so much going all the time and really take pride in a great social atmosphere. As well as that, Norwich itself is an absolutely amazing city, probably one of the best in the country. It's voted in the top 10 places to shop, and the nightlife is pretty awesome too.

I may be being biased however because I have lived in Norwich for 10 years, but you will have an amazing time if you go to UEA.

Sussex as well is a great choice, and I am still deciding between that and Lancaster to be my insurance. It's a hard decision because Brighton is also very lovely. I've visited quite a few times and I love Brighton a lot, so I think it depends on what you prefer....

If you haven't visited Norwich yet I can tell you a bit about it if you like?

Also, where did you hear about Sussex not being so good socially? I'm just wondering coz I don't know whether to put it as my insurance or not!

The campus seemed really lovely and friendly, but doesn't seem to have as many social events/gigs ect as UEA, but other than that it's pretty perfect. your right, brighton is amazing, really fun and artsy. however, now i've got an offer from edinburgh so i think i will but that as my first choice and UEA as my insurance, what about you?
Reply 3
Original post by dizzy177
The campus seemed really lovely and friendly, but doesn't seem to have as many social events/gigs ect as UEA, but other than that it's pretty perfect. your right, brighton is amazing, really fun and artsy. however, now i've got an offer from edinburgh so i think i will but that as my first choice and UEA as my insurance, what about you?

Norwich is better than Edinburgh :wink: the night life is amaaaazing, prince of wales road is just like one massive long road full of clubs. i can see why you'd want to go to Edinburgh though!

i'm not sure really, Nottingham is going to be my firm and probably Sussex as my insurance :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by beth_simpz
Norwich is better than Edinburgh :wink: the night life is amaaaazing, prince of wales road is just like one massive long road full of clubs. i can see why you'd want to go to Edinburgh though!

i'm not sure really, Nottingham is going to be my firm and probably Sussex as my insurance :smile:

Yeah that sounds like a good choice. I really loved Nottingham when i visited but they rejected me :frown: Although it's a great uni, I think Brighton is a far better city, but it depends what is important to you.

Anyway, at least I'm now in the lucky position of loving both my insurance and my firm choice...
Reply 5
I was choosing between these two. I agree, Norwhich seemed to have a better town that a lot i've seen but i still wouldn't think it was lively from my first visit, but maybe seeing it at night is different.
I'm putting Sussex as my first choice, I don't think you can beat Brighton as a town on your doorstep, i love it there! Music scene is amazing, gigs are wicked and all accomodation is right next to each other on campus.
UEA does get some really good bands at their union too though.

Quick Reply

Latest