The Student Room Group

Does anyone know someone with a low friend count on facebook - will it seem strange?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
How??

I believe it's under account or privacy settings. I'm sure I saw it recently.

Edit: http://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy#!/settings/?tab=privacy&section=basic&h=44527b32657b90c58d3647dab12af53f
Here :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
i have 22 friends (...ok, most of them are family) on my facebook,and i've turned out alright... not strange at all, me.

*evil cackle*
People will know you for you. The amount of friends you have on facebook doesn't change anything.
For example, I know this girl who isn't popular,is quiet and introverted but she has like 900 friends.
I only have 17 friends, which includes family. I don't add people I don't see very often.
yeah I have what 30? Over 100 requests and growing by the day, some from old friends I cba with and many simply because I've added someone they know, the whole "mutual" friend thing means they add anyone facebook points them to.

I don't use it much though, just to organise a few events or share things with about 10 or so people.
I've only got about 100 friends; I hardly use fb anyway - it's no big deal.
Reply 26
Original post by Halrick

If in doubt, change your settings to prevent anyone seeing your friends list :smile:

But how??
if anyone says anything just say you only want people on fb who you actually speak to regularly... i doubt anyone will care though.
Reply 28
Keep anon or delete as this is embarassing and I know people on here.
Basically, I don't have a facebook acc but want one as I'm at uni. It's just that I only want to add people I talk to regularly, this equates to about 15 people. Will this seem strange to those added? Also let say if I find a new girl I like and add her on facebook, won't she be freaked out I have like 15 friends?
Has anyone known people to do this?
Thanks. :smile:

No it isn't strange. I'll give you an example, my best friend who I have known since primary school has about 50 people added to his facebook account. They are people he knows, and people he converses with either occasionally or regularly. To me that is more normal than a person who has over 500 people added as well, I doubt they know that many people and interact with them.

Might be wrong, I have about 160 or so added and I either knew them at high school, college, uni or work. Out of them though I probably only interact with about 30 of them on a regular to occasional basis, with the rest only being "happy birthday" when that time comes around.
Reply 29
But how??

Privacy Settings > Under the "Connecting on Facebook" section click on "view settings" > Change the option for "See your friend list" to "Only me" :smile:

If it bugs you so much, start adding strangers from groups etc.
Reply 31
haha funny! I bet it will take less than 24 hours for you to get 100 friends.
Well I'm a regular user of fb (sound like a right druggy lol!) & I only have about 40 friends. That doesn't mean that I'm a loner with hardly any friends, it's just that these people I actually talk to on a regular basis. My sister has over 200 friends & she only talks to about 1/4 of them on a regular basis, I don't see the point of having that many friends on fb if you're hardly going to speak to them much at all. I've moved around quite a bit all my life but I think that even if I hadn't, I still wouldn't have hundreds of friends on fb.

I doubt if you add any girls they will have a problem with you only having a few friends & if they do, they're not worth it. Just tell them that you're new to fb & haven't had the opportunity to add more friends yet. Fb is not an important facet when you're trying to pull girls or get into a relationship. I don't even think it's wierd if someone doesn't even have a fb account, like....who cares!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Lol everyone on this thread is clearly 'out of the ordinary' with their low friend counts because they wish to restrict it to proper friends only and use it in said manner. I see it as a platform for receiving (and possibly broadcasting) information. Statuses can be news updates, people post songs, you see gossip from colleagues, interesting events etc. I don't add people I don't know but I definitely have people who I don't interact with often e.g. people in my class at uni, people I only see at specific times in the year, people I did a project with several years ago and similar others.
Original post by GdotL
Having a number like 15 means it's so low that it's obvious you've done it purposefully. Somewhere nearer to 100, it looks slightly worse, as if they care enough about Facebook to add/accept not-so-close people yet don't have too many acquaintances. 100-300 is low/normal. 300-600 is high end of normal. 600-1000 is sociable/clearly use Facebook a lot. Over 1000 is very popular or adds almost everyone they encounter. Over 2000 means Facebook whore/random adds etc. Just my view.

Someone spends too much time on fb...
I despise the way social networks have become such an integral part of one's life, evidently from this topic, that the amount of "friends" on facebook is apparently a cause for concern and there are standards as well. Excuse the sincerity.
Reply 36
Original post by mehhh.....hi.
Someone spends too much time on fb...

Let's not judge those who lie in bed on the computer 24/7. It's not kind.
My Granddad has 23
Reply 38
Original post by tenhornedbeast
I despise the way social networks have become such an integral part of one's life, evidently from this topic, that the amount of "friends" on facebook is apparently a cause for concern and there are standards as well. Excuse the sincerity.

Agreed. Nothing annoys me more than hearing someone say something along the lines of "I'm so sad that [insert name here] didn't accept my friends request on Facebook. They clearly don't like me!" or "Did you see what [insert name here] wrote on [insert name here]'s wall last night? OMG!" It's such a trivial way to plod through life.
Reply 39
There's no point having more to be honest. I stopped adding people when I realised I never even spoke to the people I added anyway. Then I just laughed in the face of pricks from Highschool that sent requests. Like you were a complete dick to me in highschool why the hell would I add you was going through my mind. THen you realise these peoeple are just as sad now as they were then, back then it was a popularity contest to make themselves look better by poking fun at easy targets or poeple who weren't in with the 'in' group. Now they're still just as insecure and get round it by friending everyone who's name they recognize, their friends brothers and sisters, workmates everyone.

These people are so insecure. No-one but these people will think anything of it.

The only people from uni I added I don't talk to either, my actual aquaintances here I communicate with via text or email or seeing them in lectures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending