The Student Room Group

Could I get all rejections?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lechaton-x
There is no such thing as a Medicine insurance.
Apart from your fifth choice- biomed, clinical science...ect.ect.

Yes there is.
Reply 21

There is no such thing as a Medicine insurance.
Apart from your fifth choice- biomed, clinical science...ect.ect.

Places like Bristol, Aberdeen etc give AAB offers.
St Georges guarantees interviews if you meet academic requirements.
So both can be kinda seen as insurances, though still super oversubscribed and difficult to get.
Reply 22
Original post by aqua1
Poor thing. You sound like a worrier. It sounds very very unlikely, but don't worry it's not the end of the world even if you do get rejections, there are other things you can do. Best of luck!

It is not "very very unlikely" medicine is a competitive subject, loads of people get 4 rejections no matter how awesome their grades are. Why give false hope?
Some really amazing people have been rejected this year, hopefully things will get better but Medicine is always going to be competitive so there will always be perfect people who get rejections. Unfortunatly with the AAB uni's thats probably likely to change sometime soon to reduce the number of applicants for them. Aberdeen had about 2500 applicants (only 150 of them for denistry) and in past years its been about the 1500 mark

Tbh I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Try and get good grades and all but relax :smile: If you're going for a career in medicine you'll probably never get a rest again (well when you get to uni that is :P) :smile:
Original post by TwilightKnight
The main problem with medicine is how completely different the criteria are for entry compared to the other, traditionally academic subjects.

You could have the best grades at your entire college, a 850 on the UKCAT and 8, 8, 5A on the BMAT, and still be rejected, because you might not have the ideal amount of work experience/ voluntary work for that medical school, or because you slipped up in the interview a little bit.

Compare that to say, Physics or Maths. You have the best grades at your college, an S on STEP I, II and III, and you managed to solve some relatively trivial questions at your Oxbridge interview, and they'll be knocking over chairs to accept you.

It's an inevitability (unless you're either super lucky or super amazing in every regard) that you will get SOME rejections. The important thing is that you get one. If you get one, you've already bucked the trend.

wrong.

if you got 850 on the UKCAT and applied to UKCAT whore unis then they will beg you to come. Also you would not get rejected with 8, 8, 5A on the BMAT especially from some of the larger cambridge colleges who base a lot of their decision on the BMAT.
Reply 25
Original post by fudgesundae
wrong.

if you got 850 on the UKCAT and applied to UKCAT whore unis then they will beg you to come. Also you would not get rejected with 8, 8, 5A on the BMAT especially from some of the larger cambridge colleges who base a lot of their decision on the BMAT.

But if you don't apply smart, then it doesn't mean your excellent scores will be appreciated. Even then, if you had no work experience, you wouldn't have a chance, no matter what your scores.

You can get all rejections, its part of the process.
Original post by twelve
But if you don't apply smart, then it doesn't mean your excellent scores will be appreciated. Even then, if you had no work experience, you wouldn't have a chance, no matter what your scores.

maybe if you didn't apply smart. But i think oxbridge would forgive you for not having work experience if you had an awesome BMAT like that.
Reply 27
maybe if you didn't apply smart. But i think oxbridge would forgive you for not having work experience if you had an awesome BMAT like that.

Really? I know medicine appliations is a lot to do with academics and BMAT etc, but half of it is personal statement too! What would you write about in your personal statement if not work experience?
Reply 28
Original post by CharleyChester
Best friend got 11 A*s at GCSE, and is predicted 3 A*s at A-level. She got a UKCAT score in the 720's (can't remember exactly what), but she has been rejected from all her universities.

It's just one of those things unfortunately.

You sent your UCAS on my birthday :biggrin:
Yes. Medicine is half luck, I feel.
So is oxbridge - about 18 students from my college applied there this year, all predicted A*'s across the board for A levels and all have really high gcse profiles and only 2 people got offers after interviews. Crazy
Is dentistry any easier to get into assuming I get the same grades?
Reply 31
Yes.

Your academics are standard for medicine entry most medical applicants have many A*'s at GCSE, and all applicants need AAA (realistically) at A level. You have to understand for medicine they are not looking at your grades in terms of whether or not you get an offer, they are looking at why you actually want to become a doctor, and that is key. The grades come after the offer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes, totally. I know people this happened to.
Original post by twelve

dunno i'm sure someone who gets 8,8 would think of something. I only say this because after emailing some cambridge colleges I get the feeling they basically only care about AS UMS, interview and BMAT (and in some cases I believe a strong BMAT would compensate for a weak interview)
Reply 34
wrong.

Stop talking ****.

UKCAT alone is useless. A good all round application is needed
Reply 35
dunno i'm sure someone who gets 8,8 would think of something. I only say this because after emailing some cambridge colleges I get the feeling they basically only care about AS UMS, interview and BMAT (and in some cases I believe a strong BMAT would compensate for a weak interview)

Its not all they care about - but they'll prioritise those. Maybe they find that every has very similiar amounts and quality of work experience and voluntary work etc. But they definately DO care about having something! I'm sure any application anywhere would be rejected straight away if there was no work experience at all, and no effort made to get any.
Reply 36
I'm not a medic, so I won't be as informed as others on this thread, but I think that the comparison made between medicine and maths was not fair. The point the poster was making was that if you had 10 A*s, bio and chem (+ 3rd science if applying to Cambridge) at A(*)A(*)A(*), relevant work experience, 850 UKCAT and 21 BMAT, you could be rejected by having a bad interview and/or applying to the wrong universities, whereas if you had those other conditions you would definitely get into maths at Cambridge. Like I said, this isn't a fair comparison to make.

First of all, the maths applicant has applied to the right university, Cambridge, whereas the assumption is that the medic has not. Whether you have SSS for maths, or 995 in the BMAT for medicine, they would both put you in an equally excellent position, IF applying to Cambridge. Obviously if you apply to uni who ignores UKCAT/BMAT, outstanding scores won't boost your chances, but then the same could be said for maths. Oxford don't look at STEP.

The second possibility for four rejections is that the med applicant has weak interviews and fails to sell himself as med student. A maths student who failed to sell himself through the PS and any interviews would also get rejections.

Medicine is a tough subject to get a place for no doubt. It is the subject with arguably the largest set of admissions criteria. Since it doesn't matter which med school you go to, the key is knowing which schools to apply to based on your strengths and weaknesses. What I disagree with is the suggestion that it is the only subject where you can get five rejections. For example, if you apply for economics, my subject, and go for the top 5 or 6 universities (the ones which I would say are on par with medicine in terms of general prospects), it is very easy to get rejections for small things, since they have 15-20 applicants per place.
Reply 37
Original post by bloody_student
It is not "very very unlikely" medicine is a competitive subject, loads of people get 4 rejections no matter how awesome their grades are. Why give false hope?

Sorry
Original post by CharleyChester
Best friend got 11 A*s at GCSE, and is predicted 3 A*s at A-level. She got a UKCAT score in the 720's (can't remember exactly what), but she has been rejected from all her universities.

It's just one of those things unfortunately.

Where did they apply?
Reply 39
Original post by Ray_Han
I'm not a medic, so I won't be as informed as others on this thread, but I think that the comparison made between medicine and maths was not fair. The point the poster was making was that if you had 10 A*s, bio and chem (+ 3rd science if applying to Cambridge) at A(*)A(*)A(*), relevant work experience, 850 UKCAT and 21 BMAT, you could be rejected by having a bad interview and/or applying to the wrong universities, whereas if you had those other conditions you would definitely get into maths at Cambridge. Like I said, this isn't a fair comparison to make.

First of all, the maths applicant has applied to the right university, Cambridge, whereas the assumption is that the medic has not. Whether you have SSS for maths, or 995 in the BMAT for medicine, they would both put you in an equally excellent position, IF applying to Cambridge. Obviously if you apply to uni who ignores UKCAT/BMAT, outstanding scores won't boost your chances, but then the same could be said for maths. Oxford don't look at STEP.

The second possibility for four rejections is that the med applicant has weak interviews and fails to sell himself as med student. A maths student who failed to sell himself through the PS and any interviews would also get rejections.

Medicine is a tough subject to get a place for no doubt. It is the subject with arguably the largest set of admissions criteria. Since it doesn't matter which med school you go to, the key is knowing which schools to apply to based on your strengths and weaknesses. What I disagree with is the suggestion that it is the only subject where you can get five rejections. For example, if you apply for economics, my subject, and go for the top 5 or 6 universities (the ones which I would say are on par with medicine in terms of general prospects), it is very easy to get rejections for small things, since they have 15-20 applicants per place.

good post for a non-medic :borat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending