The Student Room Group

Are there any real gentlemen out there?

I have no faith in men. I have no faith in love anymore. Combination of my dad being a cheating, lying prick and my boyfriend being a verbally abusive, disrespectful prick. How do people go on to restore their faith in men/woman after a horrible experience? I feel like men are all cut from the same cloth even though in my heart I know this can't be true. I like to think there are some decent men out there, but I have no idea where they're hiding! :frown:

Scroll to see replies

There certainly is, m'lady :wink:

Edit: Why is this getting neg'd?!

Ok then, no we're all jerks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
=( Yeah there are decent men out there, trust me. I've lost faith in the male gender before but I assure you that while there may be some bad apples, there are many more lovely, decent guys who will treat you right.
I will PM you my address.

Spoiler

Reply 4
Yes, I am (and there are others). Funnily though, I go largely ignored by women because I have a haircut like David Mitchell and I don't ride a motorbike.

I'm not judging you because I don't know you and I'm sure you're a lovely person, but there are an awful lot of girls I know who date complete ********s, whom (several weeks later) they then realise are ********s, and then they generalise than all men must be the same. My reply is that, no, all the men they date are the same. People like me are just 'friend' material.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Vohamanah
=( Yeah there are decent men out there, trust me. I've lost faith in the male gender before but I assure you that while there may be some bad apples, there are many more lovely, decent guys who will treat you right.

I just can't picture it. If a guy is nice to me I instantly get paranoid and think they're up to something. If someone is nice, I think to myself, give it a month and he'll lose interest and move on. I just can't imagine anyone being a caring, kind, genuine guy with eyes only for you...

Ah I hope you're right. I've only ever had one relationship (which I'm still in and hating) so I have never known how that feels.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I have no faith in men. I have no faith in love anymore. Combination of my dad being a cheating, lying prick and my boyfriend being a verbally abusive, disrespectful prick. How do people go on to restore their faith in men/woman after a horrible experience? I feel like men are all cut from the same cloth even though in my heart I know this can't be true. I like to think there are some decent men out there, but I have no idea where they're hiding! :frown:

Original post by Vohamanah

what vohamanah said.
either they'll come to you or you'll know who they are when you meet them.
not all men are bad, of course there are some who are right *****, and those are the ones to stay away from of course.
just don't generalise us please.
Reply 7

Why are you still with your boyfriend if he is like this?
No bitch - now go make me a sandwich

get over yourself. fact is: people cheat, lie and abuse others. men do not have a monopoly on such things. get off your self-righteous high horse.
Reply 10
Is it not possible that both yourself and your mother have unfortunately made bad choices in men? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

It's not unlike saying: My dad and my boyfriend both wear stupid clothes. Therefore, I have lost faith in the dress sense of all men, are there no men out there that dress well?

Is it not possible that it is only the men that you have mentioned both happen to dress badly (or are "not gentlemen")?
Reply 11
Original post by st_23
Why are you still with your boyfriend if he is like this?

I'm scared to be alone, it's pathetic really. I should just cut him out of my life, but he is always around (he lives in the same block of flats as me) and we've been a part of each other's lives for almost 4 years now, I feel trapped and can't see a way out. Plus I am thinking back to better times and struggling to let go. Ultimately though I know he is not the one and never will be. In fact he is the biggest prick there ever was. Only time will tell what will happen. Hopefully I'll find the courage to move on.
Reply 12
They're probably where you left them: in the FRIEND ZONE. Just because you're attracted to jerks, doesn't mean that there aren't good guys around you.

Before you girls start, i'm not in a friend zone. I was just being a bit humorous.

OP, give some good men a chance. Although, you have to be attracted to them first (of course) and you don't have to necessarily lower your standards.

Now I'm off to listen to single of the year: Rebecca Black - Friday.

*Sings*: Friday, friday..............sunday comes afterwaaarrrrrrrrrrrdddds!!!!

PS. I'm only joking. It's a load of crap. Same goes for a lot of music theses days
(edited 13 years ago)
I just can't picture it. If a guy is nice to me I instantly get paranoid and think they're up to something. If someone is nice, I think to myself, give it a month and he'll lose interest and move on. I just can't imagine anyone being a caring, kind, genuine guy with eyes only for you...

Ah I hope you're right. I've only ever had one relationship (which I'm still in and hating) so I have never known how that feels.

see....to get they guys that will actually treat you right etc. (such as me).....you need to stop going for the sort of guy you normally do....
Reply 14
I'm scared to be alone, it's pathetic really. I should just cut him out of my life, but he is always around (he lives in the same block of flats as me) and we've been a part of each other's lives for almost 4 years now, I feel trapped and can't see a way out. Plus I am thinking back to better times and struggling to let go. Ultimately though I know he is not the one and never will be. In fact he is the biggest prick there ever was. Only time will tell what will happen. Hopefully I'll find the courage to move on.

Use your head and get rid of him, you are never going to find a good, kind caring guy if you are with him. There are plenty of good people out there for you but not if you have a boyfriend. Also there is nothing wrong with being along for a bit :smile:
Yes there are still a few of us about but don't expect Mr.Darcy to come riding over the hill all the time:bl:
I really know where you are coming from. My dad has had serial affairs, and it's made me just think men= untrustworthy. I have a boyfriend too, and sometimes he's sweet, but a lot of the times he is not considerate, he doesn't do anything nice for me and never makes me feel special. I too, don't want to be alone. I've only had 1 boyfriend, and it took me ages to get 1, it might be forever until I find someone else and being alone makes me :frown:
I would not knowingly act like an ********, nor would I admit to it if I did. I would consider myself to be a gentleman, but that does not necessarily guarantee your attraction towards me. The bigger question is, why are you attracted to these guys in the first place if you know they are buttholes?
Reply 18
Original post by TheRealDarthVader
I would not knowingly act like an ********, nor would I admit to it if I did. I would consider myself to be a gentleman, but that does not necessarily guarantee your attraction towards me. The bigger question is, why are you attracted to these guys in the first place if you know they are buttholes?

I'm not attracted to them. When I first met my boyfriend, he was kind, sweet, caring and attentive. That all went rapidly downhill. He must have been putting on act as his real side came out pretty soon. Un.less he just lost interest.
Reply 19
I really know where you are coming from. My dad has had serial affairs, and it's made me just think men= untrustworthy. I have a boyfriend too, and sometimes he's sweet, but a lot of the times he is not considerate, he doesn't do anything nice for me and never makes me feel special. I too, don't want to be alone. I've only had 1 boyfriend, and it took me ages to get 1, it might be forever until I find someone else and being alone makes me :frown:

You sound just like me. My dad is currently cheating on my mum which broke my heart (she doesn't know) and my boyfriend treats me like I'm a bit of dirt on his shoe. I have lost so much confidence in myself and men I see no way out of this. I feel your pain..

Quick Reply

Latest