The Student Room Group

Is fair that top unis accept internation students over uk students?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mann18
International students often get lower grade requirements.

I'm prepared to believe it, just saying in my case it definitely wasn't like that at all.

Original post by aqua1
Really? That's interesting... I guess I really don't know much about this topic- just wanted a bit of distraction! So did you get on a course in the end. Are you italian? If so, can you tell me do many english students study in Italy? And do they need a high level of italian?

Yeah I got two offers in the end and I'm starting at Newcastle in September :smile:
I'm actually English, but my parents decided to move to Italy so I went through the Italian school system... It was ok, but I can't help thinking if they'd stayed in the UK things would be a lot easier for me now (student finance is being horribly complicated at the moment).
English people who study in Italy usually come through Erasmus style programs, just because it makes more sense economically. There's no such thing as a student loan in Italy, and the fees are among the highest in Europe (one of the reasons I decided to apply to UK unis), so it gets far too expensive for people who already live here, let alone for those who would come here just to study. The only place were there's a high percentage of foreign students is the Università per Stranieri in Perugia, and that's specifically for foreigners.
Reply 21
Original post by Iqbal007
Do you think its fair that in many top universities, such as LSE, Imperial, etc prefer to accept international students over Domestic students at a time where Domestic students are unable to compete at graduate level jobs when there international equivalent?

Do think its right for universities to say having international students is more beneficial to the Uk economy, when these internail students leave once they have passed, while Domestic students are struggling to get into degree courses which causes in the long-term falling qualified domestic workers?

How many of you agree that Domestic students should have preference over international students when these universities are UK based and are being funded by UK taxpayers for there children and not for international students?

I realise that international students do give substantial fees and provided about £5 billion to the Uk economy, however i feel it is in the short-term and that long-term prosperity requires UK students to recieve Top education into creating a more stable and more than qualified supply of workers?

What I feel makes this case even worse is the fact that there is a current shortage of university places for local students, shouldn't the government look to maxsimise local students into university rather than being political and allowing foreign students into Uk universities as not many Uk students opt to go abroad due to the high cost in some countries with top universities such the USA.
(Im not being racist or anything, just wanna what people think and my opinion is that UK students should come first as these are UK universities with funding from UK taxpayers money)

I am an international student and I'm doing A levels, i wanted to come and study here since i was 5 years old because i always wanted to be a lawyer. I did my gcse's and i got quite high grades, that's why they accepted me in the courses i chose, no for being an international student, besides i hasd to pay for only one year 5.000£, i work on tuesdays, fridays and saturdays in a coffee, and usually baby-sit twice per week, so then i could pay for it and i also study full time.
I've got b in psychology, b in law... whereas lots of guys don't do anything, get low grades, don't work, only drink and stuff... and u say it is more fair, to allow them to go to university? seriously and the u say, that ur a not racist ahahah don't make me laugh.
Reply 22
Original post by Molokai
I'm prepared to believe it, just saying in my case it definitely wasn't like that at all.

Yeah I got two offers in the end and I'm starting at Newcastle in September :smile:
I'm actually English, but my parents decided to move to Italy so I went through the Italian school system... It was ok, but I can't help thinking if they'd stayed in the UK things would be a lot easier for me now (student finance is being horribly complicated at the moment).
English people who study in Italy usually come through Erasmus style programs, just because it makes more sense economically. There's no such thing as a student loan in Italy, and the fees are among the highest in Europe (one of the reasons I decided to apply to UK unis), so it gets far too expensive for people who already live here, let alone for those who would come here just to study. The only place were there's a high percentage of foreign students is the Università per Stranieri in Perugia, and that's specifically for foreigners.

Newcaslte! Well done! That will certainly be a change from Italy... Thanks for your thoughts on english students studying in Italy. The only reason I ask- and yes pot kettle black I know- but before applying to University I did look into studying abroad in Europe and they didn't make it easy! Again it was finance, accomodation, course fees, language requirements, applications--- from my experience it seems England is more welcoming to foreign students than the rest of the EU! I went for unis with good ERASMUS reputation instead, so I had the option of studying abroad.
Reply 23
No international student ever got a place a home student could have had. The Government lays down rules for how fee status is defined, and it lays down rules for how many publicly-funded (i.e. Home) places a uni can offer. So it's a non-argument. I wish everyone could spread the word because this little myth leads to a lot of bad feelings, misplaced senses of victimhood and borderline racism.
Reply 24
Original post by monchouchou
There's a quota. No one's "stealing" any places from domestic students. I have heard this argument so many times and most of them end up being thinly veiled excuses for racism.

im not tryin to be racist, i just find it unfair that at some uni's my friends hav been rejected and these unis are highly international uni's lse. It kinda bothers me and think its unfair, i agree there should be a mix, but some unis seem like they are acceptin large amounts .
Reply 25
I think you probably know why that is , because uni lives through International fee !!!!!!
Reply 26
Original post by aqua1
Newcaslte! Well done! That will certainly be a change from Italy... Thanks for your thoughts on english students studying in Italy. The only reason I ask- and yes pot kettle black I know- but before applying to University I did look into studying abroad in Europe and they didn't make it easy! Again it was finance, accomodation, course fees, language requirements, applications--- from my experience it seems England is more welcoming to foreign students than the rest of the EU! I went for unis with good ERASMUS reputation instead, so I had the option of studying abroad.

Trust me, I have friends in a lot of Italian unis, from Pisa to Bologna to Bocconi, and I still haven't figured out how the italian uni system works :biggrin: I think you made the right choice!
Reply 27
Original post by Molly_16
I think you probably know why that is , because uni lives through International fee !!!!!!

International students don't get subsidised by the government thats why they pay more, the government pays the other portion of your fees. Which is why fees are going up because the government says they cant afford to pay as much any more. So your statement is untrue. Although all of these student coming here from the EU seems wrong, I'd like to see how many British students study in other EU countries. Perhaps they should put caps on EU students.

On the subject why should we all pay taxes so some home students can party and have a good time. What is wrong with wanting the best students? International students generally want to study and probably have more to offer when it comes to shared learning which actually benefits us all. If you want to get into top universities then work harder.
(edited 13 years ago)
Really, they can choose whoever they want. If they feel like the international student is "better" then the British student, why not? I'm more comfortable knowing universities places are given based on entry requirements not nationality.
Original post by tatt13
I am an international student and I'm doing A levels, i wanted to come and study here since i was 5 years old because i always wanted to be a lawyer. I did my gcse's and i got quite high grades, that's why they accepted me in the courses i chose, no for being an international student, besides i hasd to pay for only one year 5.000£, i work on tuesdays, fridays and saturdays in a coffee, and usually baby-sit twice per week, so then i could pay for it and i also study full time.
I've got b in psychology, b in law... whereas lots of guys don't do anything, get low grades, don't work, only drink and stuff... and u say it is more fair, to allow them to go to university? seriously and the u say, that ur a not racist ahahah don't make me laugh.

Just pointed out the mistakes in your English.

Oh and the parents of the British students going to university in Britain have mostly paid taxes towards the universities and once the students have jobs they'll be paying taxes too. You haven't.
Reply 30
I think it's fair. Universities should be able to choose which students they take and it's understandable that they want the best.
Reply 31
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Just pointed out the mistakes in your English.

Oh and the parents of the British students going to university in Britain have mostly paid taxes towards the universities and once the students have jobs they'll be paying taxes too. You haven't.

hahahaha
Reply 32
They get a lot more money from international students, and they need money to run, so I don't see what's unfair about it.
Reply 33
Original post by No Man
They get a lot more money from international students, and they need money to run, so I don't see what's unfair about it.

Errmm again No this isn't true. (so many people seem to believe this) Home students and EU students are subsidised by the government, international students are not. So the difference between their fees and home/eu fees are funded by our taxes.
Which is why home fees are going up but international fees are not.
Reply 34
I don't think its fair that if given two students who are identical on paper and offer the international student the place over the British one just because they have higher fees or whatever. If they're both equally as good then they should both be considered equally.
It is only unfair if less or equally able international students are chosen over british students.
Reply 36
Original post by Serenb
Errmm again No this isn't true. (so many people seem to believe this) Home students and EU students are subsidised by the government, international students are not. So the difference between their fees and home/eu fees are funded by our taxes.
Which is why home fees are going up but international fees are not.

international fees are different depending on the university as the set them themselves and the international fees at some university's are much higher than the combination of what home students pay and the government subsidy meaning institutions that can charge more and still have many international applicants do infact make more money from them.
Reply 37
Original post by Molokai
Trust me, I have friends in a lot of Italian unis, from Pisa to Bologna to Bocconi, and I still haven't figured out how the italian uni system works :biggrin: I think you made the right choice!

Thanks Molokai, good to know!!! Have fun in Newcastle... :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by boba
international fees are different depending on the university as the set them themselves and the international fees at some university's are much higher than the combination of what home students pay and the government subsidy meaning institutions that can charge more and still have many international applicants do infact make more money from them.

I see what you mean the fees for International students at Imperial are really expensive. Im guessing that is the case with most Universities in the top 10. Supply versus demand pushes up prices. I think that is unfair, but then I imagine it reduces the amount of international applicants applying, therefore reducing the intake. If they do actually base their admissions on merit that is. if UK students had to compete for places with the rest of the world hardly any of them would get in.

Perhaps that's the consequence of having a world renowned university. If you market yourself to the world you've got to expand your admissions to accept more international students.

It means home students still benefit from international students, because without their funding some courses and places would not exist!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Serenb
I see what you mean the fees for International students at Imperial are really expensive. Im guessing that is the case with most Universities in the top 10. Supply versus demand pushes up prices. I think that is unfair, but then I imagine it reduces the amount of international applicants applying therefore reducing the intake, if they do actually base their admissions on merit that is. if UK students had to compete with the rest of the world for places hardly any of them would get in.

Perhaps that's the consequence of having a world renowned university. If you market yourself to the world you've got to expand your admissions to accept more international students.

oh no I'm not trying to say that this does effect UK students getting in. I believe the amount of UK students is limited by the governments caps on how many it will subsidize and then they offer any more places they can to international students. meaning there are septerate quotas and home students and only competing against each other and internationals against each other. or at least thats how I understand it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending