The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

I would never give up my dreams and future plans for anyone.
I don't have many dreams and plans but it's what I want to do in life and no one can change those choices.
However if it came down to career then I could easily change that. I don't really have a dream career that I want to go into. I'm at uni at the moment and I work hard to achieve the grades I want but thats for now, I don't have career plans.
However I do have travelling plans and plans of where I want to live etcccc.
I used to have a part time job as a potwash and there was a full time potwasher who was like 30, dislikes his job, wishes he'd treid harder in school but has just got married to his long term partner. Now the owner on the otherhand has pretty much the perfect life, nice car, posh house, a head chef who makes his meals before service and a pretty impressive wine collection in the cellar.
The owner is the grumpy one and the full time pot washer is the one who most of the time has a smile on his face and generally seems happier.

i'd definately go for the perfect partner.
Original post by BabyfacedDom

I used to have a part time job as a potwash and there was a full time potwasher who was like 30, dislikes his job, wishes he'd treid harder in school but has just got married to his long term partner. Now the owner on the otherhand has pretty much the perfect life, nice car, posh house, a head chef who makes his meals before service and a pretty impressive wine collection in the cellar.
The owner is the grumpy one and the full time pot washer is the one who most of the time has a smile on his face and generally seems happier.

i'd definately go for the perfect partner.

So you think happiness is the be all and end all then?

What if a partner doesn't provide you that happiness you're looking for?
Original post by im so academic
So you think happiness is the be all and end all then?

What if a partner doesn't provide you that happiness you're looking for?

then she wouldn't be the perfect partner.

If it's a choice between

a) dead end 20k a year job, with the perfect partner + family
or
b) 50k+ a year but no one to share it with

i'd go 'a' everytime.

then she wouldn't be the perfect partner.

If it's a choice between

a) dead end 20k a year job, with the perfect partner + family
or
b) 50k+ a year but no one to share it with

i'd go 'a' everytime.

So your ambition in life is to make money?

I asked this question presuming people have "dreamed big" and aspire to do something, as opposed to something typical.
Reply 665
I do not watch House.

Fail.
obviously this is very dependent on what your dream career is, if you even have one.
You could pursue your dream career and then find your perfect partner however it is less likely that if you find your perfect partner first you would then pursue your dream career.
Original post by Jacke02
I already have my dream partner :colondollar:

so both **** you

What about ideal future?
Reply 668
Perfect partner is part of ideal future.

Stupid question, stupid thread.
Original post by undermyskin
obviously this is very dependent on what your dream career is, if you even have one.
You could pursue your dream career and then find your perfect partner however it is less likely that if you find your perfect partner first you would then pursue your dream career.

True. There's little escape from the "marriage-kids routine".
Original post by Planto
Perfect partner is part of ideal future.

Stupid question, stupid thread.

Well not for me. Especially since you cannot ensure you will find your perfect partner.
Reply 671
Well not for me. Especially since you cannot ensure you will find your perfect partner.

Your ideal partner(s) probably died 700 years ago
Reply 672

What the hell are you talking about? You can't ensure you will find any of your "ideal future"; you were posing a hypothetical question. If, in your ideal future, you don't have your perfect partner, then it is - by definition - not ideal. Hence, the question is "would you rather have your ideal future, or just part of your ideal future?"
Original post by Hoom
Your ideal partner(s) probably died 700 years ago

And what has this got to do with anything?
Original post by Planto
What the hell are you talking about? You can't ensure you will find any of your "ideal future"; you were posing a hypothetical question. If, in your ideal future, you don't have your perfect partner, then it is - by definition - not ideal. Hence, the question is "would you rather have your ideal future, or just part of your ideal future?"

I have more control of my ideal future than my ideal partner. In fact, if I fail to achieve the ideal partner, there was nothing I could do to stop it. If I fail to achieve my ideal future, it's because of reasons relating with me.

Actually, in my ideal future, I don't need an ideal partner. My ideal future will happen, irrespective if I find the perfect man.

I'm not the type to revolve my little life around some guy.
Perfect career. Others won't get in my way.
Perfect career = a lot of sex what else do you need?
Original post by kaosu_souzousha

Original post by kaosu_souzousha
Perfect career = a lot of sex what else do you need?

What a remarkable ambition you have there.
Reply 678
I've changed my mind, I think I would give it up for that person.
I would prefer to have that someone than have the perfect career but be very lonely.
I don't think that the perfect person or career exists though to be honest.
My dreams are to see the world, earn a good wage and have the family, dog, nice home! If I could do all that with my current boyfriend (or someone I love as much and who makes me as happy, as sometimes things don't work out) then ill have all I wanted. May not be the most exciting dreams to everyone, but they're mine.

In answer to the question I'd always chose love, money is great but it doesnt bring happiness if you don't have someone you love to share it with, for me anyway! So yeah, I'd give up the life of a great job where I make good money but come home to a loveless marriage/to an empty house for a life with a less paid job which I don't enjoy as much but I can come home to a loving husband and family every night!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending