The Student Room Group

Hull York Medical School Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smcc
There's a reasonable chance I'll be firming it if I don't get an offer from Liverpool. I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it there though, I think I'd much rather go to Liverpool.

haha, I had this same dilemma last year. After getting an offer from hyms and having a liverpool interview I was certain if i got an offer for liverpool i was going to firm it. When i did eventually get the offer I ended up choosing hyms instead :wink: I have no regrets.
Reply 461
Oh wow, that's pretty odd!

Are you at Hull or York? I'm a bit concerned that I'll find them a bit boring, as I'd quite like to be in a big city with lots to do. It's good that you enjoy it though :smile:
Original post by smcc
Oh wow, that's pretty odd!

Are you at Hull or York? I'm a bit concerned that I'll find them a bit boring, as I'd quite like to be in a big city with lots to do. It's good that you enjoy it though :smile:

Im at hull, yh the city was one of my concerns too but its really not bad at all. Coming from London i dont feel that im really missing out on that much clubs wise etc, maybe more so shopping wise. Make sure you visit Hull, york and liverpool to help with your decision:wink:
Reply 463
I am thinking of applying to HYMS but was unsure whether my grades are good enough to get in.

GCSE: 5A*s 2As 1B 1C
Maths: A*
Science Double Award: A*A*
English Language: A*
Chinese: A*
Economics: A
Business and Communication: A
Design and Tech: B
English Literature: C

I am currently doing IB and am expecting to get around 36 points excluding bonus points (6s in all subjects).

Also, what GCSE and IB grades do successful applicants usually get?

Thanks
Reply 464
Original post by Decidian
I am thinking of applying to HYMS but was unsure whether my grades are good enough to get in.

GCSE: 5A*s 2As 1B 1C
Maths: A*
Science Double Award: A*A*
English Language: A*
Chinese: A*
Economics: A
Business and Communication: A
Design and Tech: B
English Literature: C

I am currently doing IB and am expecting to get around 36 points excluding bonus points (6s in all subjects).

Also, what GCSE and IB grades do successful applicants usually get?

Thanks

Check the website.
Reply 465
Original post by Gowrav
Check the website.

It says on their website that 'You must have an overall total of 36 points, with 6,6,5 in three Higher-level subjects, including Biology and Chemistry'. Does that mean getting 36 points will very likely get me an interview?
Reply 466
Original post by Decidian
It says on their website that 'You must have an overall total of 36 points, with 6,6,5 in three Higher-level subjects, including Biology and Chemistry'. Does that mean getting 36 points will very likely get me an interview?

No, since that's the minimum. You also need to check the gcse requirements. And will also depend on your PS and UKCAT, since they rank you before interviewing and top x students gets interview.
Reply 467
Original post by Gowrav
No, since that's the minimum. You also need to check the gcse requirements. And will also depend on your PS and UKCAT, since they rank you before interviewing and top x students gets interview.

I have 3A*s,8As for GCSE and I got an offer so your gcses should be okay. There's a thread on here which shows the profiles of successful applicants for each uni. check on there too. If you're not sure, email them and ask if the 36 will be enough. It might change for 2012 so I would wait a few months then doublecheck.
Reply 468
Original post by conorcd
I have 3A*s,8As for GCSE and I got an offer so your gcses should be okay. There's a thread on here which shows the profiles of successful applicants for each uni. check on there too. If you're not sure, email them and ask if the 36 will be enough. It might change for 2012 so I would wait a few months then doublecheck.

True, but just good grades doesn't guarantee and interview.
I got 1A* 9As and a B GCSE and I got an interview and offer :smile:
Reply 470
Original post by Gowrav
True, but just good grades doesn't guarantee and interview.

I agree. think they want a good ps and interview too. its not easy getting a med offer! SO happy my brother wants to do physics!
Reply 471
Well good luck to you all but I have firmed Newcastle and declined HYMS. Sadly my chemistry resit went as badly as the original and I now have A*AC (Biol resits went up from B to A*). Can't take the chance of missing a place again and my Newcastle offer is BBB (I'm 2 UMS off the B).
Am sure you'll all love HYMS and have enjoyed chatting with you all.
Original post by conorcd
Well good luck to you all but I have firmed Newcastle and declined HYMS. Sadly my chemistry resit went as badly as the original and I now have A*AC (Biol resits went up from B to A*). Can't take the chance of missing a place again and my Newcastle offer is BBB (I'm 2 UMS off the B).
Am sure you'll all love HYMS and have enjoyed chatting with you all.

Good Luck to you my friend. Wish you all the best, Newcastle is a great place.:smile:
Anyone else firmed HYMS? Seems a bit quiet here :frown:
just waiting for reply from leicester...then will probably firm hyms!
I have. Ye its very quiet here. Not many hyms applicants on TSR this year i guess.
Yay at least I know two people who will be going :tongue:
Original post by Presidential
haha, I had this same dilemma last year. After getting an offer from hyms and having a liverpool interview I was certain if i got an offer for liverpool i was going to firm it. When i did eventually get the offer I ended up choosing hyms instead :wink: I have no regrets.

how pbl centered is HYMS?

What did you pick for your student selected component(s)?
Reply 478
Well I did firm HYMS just a couple of days back , though I am holding a conditional offer for the IB so its basically head down hit the books right now. But they did post me those nice letters which made me feel good about myself, though it would suck if i can get the marks now
Reply 479
Oh and my grades were around the 36 points probably touching 38 at the most , it depends on so many things and was lucky enough to get an interview. Its quite clearly given in the site

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending