The Student Room Group

Did your driving instructor make you indicate for 3-point turns or left-hand reverse?

ive got my driving test next week, and ive decided to learn to drive without an instructor. im ready for my test i think but im not sure about 2 things:

if the driving test examiner asks you to stop and do a left hand reverse or a turn in the road/3 point turn do you have to indicate?

and also, you know when youre at a T junction trying to turn right onto the main road, sometimes theres no gap in the traffic in both directions of the main road,

what I do is when i see a gap in the traffic going left, i move my car into the middle of the road, perpendicular to the road (half blocking the traffic lol) and wait in the middle until i can go right, is this allowed?

i will be SO grateful for any replies you dont understand how nervous i am!!
Reply 1
No you don't indicate and no you can't pull out into the middle of a road and sit there :P
way i was told was the following:

left-hand reverse = indicating left when you're parking up to the left, after passing half-way point of the road i;m about to reverse-left-turn into (earlier than this, and people behind think you are turning left there and then). when stationary, take indicator off before engaging reverse gear.

three-point-turn = no indicator at any point.
Reply 3
You're going to fail, hard.
Reply 4
Why on earth are you learning without an instructor?
Reply 5
I did not indicate and still passed. My instructor told me explicitly not to indicate, but my mother felt that I should, so I don't know how much opinion there is there, but at least you know that not indicating does not count as an error.
Reply 6
Judging by your 'lol' I think you know that you can't block the traffic like that. And if you do that all the time then one day you will be met with severe road rage from someone.

If on your test you encounter a road that is impossible to turn right onto, just be grateful that you get to waste a load of your test just sitting still and not having to do anything.

EDIT:

You don't indicate when doing reverse manoeuvres; your reverse lights tell people what you're doing. You also don't indicate when doing a 3-point turn.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Milk <3

and also, you know when youre at a T junction trying to turn right onto the main road, sometimes theres no gap in the traffic in both directions of the main road,

what I do is when i see a gap in the traffic going left, i move my car into the middle of the road, perpendicular to the road (half blocking the traffic lol) and wait in the middle until i can go right, is this allowed?

for your test you just sit and wait on the giveway line.

however, in the real world when you are in rush hour or queing traffic then often you have to force your way out as no one will help you and youd be sitting there for hours otherwise.

In queing traffic, people are not supposed to block side roads so that people can turn in and pull out but often people ignore that and block them anyway. Thats why on a lot of main roads you find a yellow box junction to protect side roads so people can turn right out of them etc.
Reply 8
Please be sure to let us know the result of your test
Reply 9
Original post by Milk <3

If you want to instantly fail, then sure. If you want to pass then absolutely not. Imagine you're the driver coming from right, how pissed off would you be? Just wait for a gap on both sides.
Original post by Milk <3
ive got my driving test next week, and ive decided to learn to drive without an instructor. im ready for my test i think but im not sure about 2 things:

if the driving test examiner asks you to stop and do a left hand reverse or a turn in the road/3 point turn do you have to indicate?

You have been given answers to both the above questions which may or may not be correct :tongue: This is because it depends on the circumstances. The issue isn't whether you must or must not do something but whether, as a driver, you should or should not. In your test, and afterwards, driving is largely judgement albeit within the law and part of the learning process is honing that judgement. That's why you should employ a professional to help you. :wink: On your test you have to show to the examiner that you can exercise good judgement. If you are asking questions such as you are, then I am not sure that your judgement is good enough yet. Sorry.

To those who have answered the question about turning right. How long should you sit there? 1 minute? 2 minutes? 5 minutes? What if someone from the right flashes you to go? Do you go or not? I think I would rather someone demonstrates that they can 'push their way out' into traffic when I'm in the car than when they are on their own after passing their test. It's a last resort and has to be done in a controlled way but it's a skill that needs to be learned. If you sit there for an unreasonable time on your test, you will fail!
Don't indicate when doing 3 point turns, it can confuse people. My Mum does it, Ihave no idea why!! She indicate right to start, then left to reverse then right again to move off...she's mental haha! I keep telling her to stop!
Reply 12
You only need to indicate is there is someone there e.g. other road users and pedestrians so that they know what you are intending to do. I wouldn't have your car half blocking a busy road either
Reply 13
Original post by Arcanine
You're going to fail, hard.

Original post by n65uk
Why on earth are you learning without an instructor?

Original post by 04ghicks
No you don't indicate and no you can't pull out into the middle of a road and sit there :P

Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
way i was told was the following:

left-hand reverse = indicating left when you're parking up to the left, after passing half-way point of the road i;m about to reverse-left-turn into (earlier than this, and people behind think you are turning left there and then). when stationary, take indicator off before engaging reverse gear.

three-point-turn = no indicator at any point.

Original post by Bobifier
I did not indicate and still passed. My instructor told me explicitly not to indicate, but my mother felt that I should, so I don't know how much opinion there is there, but at least you know that not indicating does not count as an error.

Original post by paddyman4
Judging by your 'lol' I think you know that you can't block the traffic like that. And if you do that all the time then one day you will be met with severe road rage from someone.

If on your test you encounter a road that is impossible to turn right onto, just be grateful that you get to waste a load of your test just sitting still and not having to do anything.

EDIT:

You don't indicate when doing reverse manoeuvres; your reverse lights tell people what you're doing. You also don't indicate when doing a 3-point turn.

Original post by warrenpenalver
for your test you just sit and wait on the giveway line.

however, in the real world when you are in rush hour or queing traffic then often you have to force your way out as no one will help you and youd be sitting there for hours otherwise.

In queing traffic, people are not supposed to block side roads so that people can turn in and pull out but often people ignore that and block them anyway. Thats why on a lot of main roads you find a yellow box junction to protect side roads so people can turn right out of them etc.

Original post by fudgeeyena
Please be sure to let us know the result of your test

Original post by fudgeeyena
If you want to instantly fail, then sure. If you want to pass then absolutely not. Imagine you're the driver coming from right, how pissed off would you be? Just wait for a gap on both sides.

Original post by Emma-Ashley
You have been given answers to both the above questions which may or may not be correct :tongue: This is because it depends on the circumstances. The issue isn't whether you must or must not do something but whether, as a driver, you should or should not. In your test, and afterwards, driving is largely judgement albeit within the law and part of the learning process is honing that judgement. That's why you should employ a professional to help you. :wink: On your test you have to show to the examiner that you can exercise good judgement. If you are asking questions such as you are, then I am not sure that your judgement is good enough yet. Sorry.

To those who have answered the question about turning right. How long should you sit there? 1 minute? 2 minutes? 5 minutes? What if someone from the right flashes you to go? Do you go or not? I think I would rather someone demonstrates that they can 'push their way out' into traffic when I'm in the car than when they are on their own after passing their test. It's a last resort and has to be done in a controlled way but it's a skill that needs to be learned. If you sit there for an unreasonable time on your test, you will fail!

Original post by The Procrastinator
Don't indicate when doing 3 point turns, it can confuse people. My Mum does it, Ihave no idea why!! She indicate right to start, then left to reverse then right again to move off...she's mental haha! I keep telling her to stop!

Original post by berryboysh
You only need to indicate is there is someone there e.g. other road users and pedestrians so that they know what you are intending to do. I wouldn't have your car half blocking a busy road either

Thanks so much everyone for your replies! if anyones interested i passed, with only one minor (which wasnt really my fault anyway) :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Milk <3
Thanks so much everyone for your replies! if anyones interested i passed, with only one minor (which wasnt really my fault anyway) :smile:

Ah that's good. Guess I was wrong.
Reply 15
Original post by Milk <3

No.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

It's good if you can get some extra lessons and driving experience however I wouldn't ever recommend learning solely without an instructor. Passing your driving test and knowing how to drive don't necessary go hand in hand. You're essentially learning to pass your test as oppose to learning to drive which is why you ideally need at least some lessons from instructor to learn the general etiquette and the 'done thing'.

edit: Just saw you passed your test - Congratulations :yy:, you're going to be driving with a big smile on your face for a while! :tongue: ... Drive safe.
(edited 13 years ago)
Well done on passing your test without an instructor but please understand that this only certifies that you were a competant driver for the duration of the exam. Considering the fact that you were not given the benefit of -any- professional tuition, I would urge you to get some further tuition of some sort. Whether that's Pass Plus with an ADI or advanced tuition through the DIA, IAM or RoSPA - you need the experience of dealing with unexpected driving situations in a professional manner for the safety of yourself and others.
Reply 17
Original post by TheFatController
Well done on passing your test without an instructor but please understand that this only certifies that you were a competant driver for the duration of the exam. Considering the fact that you were not given the benefit of -any- professional tuition, I would urge you to get some further tuition of some sort. Whether that's Pass Plus with an ADI or advanced tuition through the DIA, IAM or RoSPA - you need the experience of dealing with unexpected driving situations in a professional manner for the safety of yourself and others.

I am actually surprise to see 'Milk' passed his driving test without instructor but well done...

I 100% agree with TheFatController that you ought to take a few tuition from qualified instructor to polish your better driving skills and road awareness too.. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by The Stig

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Whilst this is obviously not something you should do in your test, people in big cities do it all the time, and to be honest with you, I think its fair enough. On a seriously busy road, if you just sit there waiting for a gap both ways you will literally be there all day. Driving in the city is more of a case of negotiation than elsewhere in the country.
Reply 19
Original post by py0alb
Whilst this is obviously not something you should do in your test, people in big cities do it all the time, and to be honest with you, I think its fair enough. On a seriously busy road, if you just sit there waiting for a gap both ways you will literally be there all day. Driving in the city is more of a case of negotiation than elsewhere in the country.

I do it often too and on a lot of busy roads you'd be there all day if you didn't. However on a test that's something you never do.

Quick Reply

Latest