The Student Room Group

How do you revise and not get distracted?

I have exams this year and I have no idea how to revise efficiently and not be distracted!

Also, how do you revise?

All views welcome!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For me, I can't use music otherwise I get distracted too easily. But for others, it works.
A quiet place, everything near you and revise in short bursts so you don't lose concentration. That does it for me :smile:
Just go to a quite place and don't let anything distract you, thats what I do!
Reply 3
Go somewhere without internet/turn internet off. It's 100% my main distraction!
Reply 4
If you're using the computer for revising, I tend to just open the windows I need to begin. Then I close or hide the Windows taskbar to stop any temptation to open other programs - which are the main distraction.

Or even better, just don't use the computer at all. I have textbooks for all the subjects, and it can be useful to go into a peaceful room and just do something active (take notes, create questions, do a spider diagram, etc.). You can always find something better/more interesting to do than revision; it's just a matter of disciplining yourself and sticking to it. Try creating a schedule so you know exactly when to revise and when you can play games or watch TV.
I can't be on YouTube, Facebook, have the radio or TV on, or be hungry to revise effectively.

But then it gets too quiet...so I put the TV on anyway.
I designate myself 3 different places in the house, and work on a sort of 'job rotation' like thing and move places after X period of time or when I start a new subject. Stops you getting bored of looking at one setting which ultimately leads to distraction. Try it if you can :yy:.
Original post by dee-bee1994
how to not get distracted... don't let anything distract you... are you kidding me you jew n.i.g.g.a

how not to get distracted = don't let anything distract you a.k.a don't allow yourself to be around that which is going to provide a distraction.

so no, i'm not kidding you, fool.
Reply 8
Drink energy drinks.
Reply 9
Just think, it's only a few months of hard work then Summer you can do what you like :smile: this should motivate you.

I also try and have frequent breaks when revising so I don't get bored, I'll cover a few chapters in a textbook then do something else for half hour then go back to the books! As someone has said, textbooks are the best so there is no temptation.

Good luck with your exams :smile:
I just move to the kitchen so I won't get distracted by the tv or my laptop or anything.
Smear yourself with your own bodily fluids. People will pretty much leave you alone.
Reply 12
Original post by seasons of wither
ive been on here for over an hour, when i should have been revising
probably best not to ask me :frown:

Awww,, i am the same like that! D: that is my problem too!

Original post by Ears
For me, I can't use music otherwise I get distracted too easily. But for others, it works.
A quiet place, everything near you and revise in short bursts so you don't lose concentration. That does it for me :smile:

I find that i have to listen to music, although i generally listen to classical music because i know that i cannot sing along to the words xD

Original post by emeleh
Go somewhere without internet/turn internet off. It's 100% my main distraction!

I use the internet all the time! D: although i guess that is the best way to refrain from getting distracted. I have blocked various websites such as facebook, youtube etc... so that i cannot go on them! 8D

Original post by D-Box
If you're using the computer for revising, I tend to just open the windows I need to begin. Then I close or hide the Windows taskbar to stop any temptation to open other programs - which are the main distraction.

Or even better, just don't use the computer at all. I have textbooks for all the subjects, and it can be useful to go into a peaceful room and just do something active (take notes, create questions, do a spider diagram, etc.). You can always find something better/more interesting to do than revision; it's just a matter of disciplining yourself and sticking to it. Try creating a schedule so you know exactly when to revise and when you can play games or watch TV.

Don't you find reading from textbooks so very boring though? And i like the idea of the revision timetable :biggrin:

Original post by efb-x
Just think, it's only a few months of hard work then Summer you can do what you like :smile: this should motivate you.

I also try and have frequent breaks when revising so I don't get bored, I'll cover a few chapters in a textbook then do something else for half hour then go back to the books! As someone has said, textbooks are the best so there is no temptation.

Good luck with your exams :smile:

My motivation is to do really well so i can get into the grammar school sixth form that i have a conditional offer for :biggrin:

When you say "Frequent" how often do you recommend? and for how long?
Original post by Articaaa
I have exams this year and I have no idea how to revise efficiently and not be distracted!

Also, how do you revise?

All views welcome!

What subjects are you studying ?
Original post by dee-bee1994
how to not get distracted... don't let anything distract you... are you kidding me you jew n.i.g.g.a

What the **** is wrong with you?
Reply 15
What helps for me, is listening to white noise. Also, listening to white noise is very beneficial if you suffer from ringing in the ears.

Reply 16
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
What subjects are you studying ?

out of all my exams?

I am doing:
English Language (Higher) AQA
English Literature (Higher) AQA
Biology (Higher) AQA
Chemistry (Higher) AQA
Physics (Higher) AQA
Business Studies WJEC
Geography (Higher) AQA
Product Design AQA
ICT (I don't actually have an exam for this though)
Additional Maths OCR
Russian Edexcel

I plan to study:
Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Music
Reply 17
I just sit in the conservatory where there is no tv, computer etc.
Reply 18
Original post by seasons of wither
i thank god that i dont have facebook, or i wouldnt have even got the grades i did get at GCSE. how do you block websites?! i need to block this one. and youtube. and allgigs. and ultimate guitar...

also, does anyone else find themselves just mindlessly scrolling through their 'My Pictures' file?! or is that just me being a hardcore procrastinator :confused:

I downloaded this software which blocks it for you..

And I find that I do it too! i am not being funny but i can spend hours doing it! D:

I think what is good is that i can unblock these after 2 months of exams 8)
Original post by Articaaa
out of all my exams?

I am doing:
English Language (Higher) AQA
English Literature (Higher) AQA
Biology (Higher) AQA
Chemistry (Higher) AQA
Physics (Higher) AQA
Business Studies WJEC
Geography (Higher) AQA
Product Design AQA
ICT (I don't actually have an exam for this though)
Additional Maths OCR
Russian Edexcel

I plan to study:
Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Music

I'm guessing you are answering your exams in a month's time ?

Have you started revising ? How prepared are you ?

Quick Reply

Latest