The Student Room Group

Do you agree with military action in Libya (poll included.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Brandmon
Note people, that the West would have had easy access to the oil if they simply supported Gaddafi. Remember when many foreign oil workers pulled out of Libya?

Also, the oil Libya provides is not at all significant. It could easily be replaced by either getting oil from the Saudis or relying on more Russian oil and gas.

Top Ten Oil Exporting Countries

* Saudi Arabia (8.73 million barrels per day)
* Russia (6.67)
* Norway (2.91)
* Iran (2.55)
* Venezuela (2.36)
* United Arab Emirates (2.33)
* Kuwait (2.20)
* Nigeria (2.19)
* Mexico (1.80)
* Algeria (1.68)

As you can see, the West would have profited more Oil-wise if it made an excuse to invade Algeria.

So knowing that the "We did it for the oil" is bull****, and the West has no interest to colonise Libya: Yes, I fully support this military action.

BP alone, has about £15 billion worth of oil in Libya.
Reply 21
Original post by MilkyC

Maybe you wish to state the other sources of oil too, maybe we can then see how significant Libya is next to other sources :wink:

Heck, BP is kicking itself after the UN called for a No-Fly Zone as business was going pretty normally with no problems. So intervention doesn't give us oil, it loses oil.
Reply 22
Original post by MilkyC
The UN should **** off instead of pretending to give a **** about civilians dying, its so painstakingly obvious they just want to ensure their oil resources are all dandy. Let the Arabs sort it out amongst themselves.

libyan oil reserves are barely significant, they don't even export to the USA.

Gaddafi said he would honour previous deals, it would have been in our interests to allow him to slaughter his own people so the stats quo could have returned.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MilkyC
The UN should **** off instead of pretending to give a **** about civilians dying, its so painstakingly obvious they just want to ensure their oil resources are all dandy. Let the Arabs sort it out amongst themselves.

This.

This action has bugger all to do with protecting civilians, they're probably going to bomb a civvy target next and then blame it on Gaddafi using "human shields".

Totally disproportional and unnecessary, Gaddafi was only attacking civilians who also happened to be planning a coo, civilians that support him can carry on with their normal lives. If you say that's enough to intervene, then why aren't we attacking other countries with military dictators?

The rebels are probably just as mental as he is, I doubt that western democracy will ever appear in the region by us bombing their cities. All that will happen is Gaddafi will now be able to unite the country against the invading west, we'll have another war over something that is nothing to do with us.
I think it's the right thing to do. Gaddafi is one of the worst dictators in my opinion, and he should be overthrown. The UK and the French / Amercians are doing the right thing. I think it's nice to see all the newspapers invariably supporting the mission as well. The UN has gone up hugely in my esteem ever since the resolution was passed.

Thise who claim it's just "another Iraq" are being short-sighted. Unlike Iraq, this operation has the full backing of the UN, AND the Arab League. The Iraq invasion was built on a foundation of deceit by the last government; not so this time round. Libya isn't even that rich in oil and minerals compared to other north African and Middle Eastern countries, so I doubt that this is the main factor.
Reply 25
Unlike Iraq/Afghanistan this was a revolution started by the people instead of a foreign government deciding they didn't like the leader any more - in fact (I think, I'm not entirely sure) that the Libyan rebels requested support
Reply 26
same story as usual. The UK and others are answering calls from a popular revolution started inside Libya which Gadaffi has attempted to crush with his airforce and still morons on this forum are shouting 'THEY R JUST GOING FOR ZE OILLLLLLLLLLLL'.

i do despair
I agree, it's about time.
Original post by Brandmon
Note people, that the West would have had easy access to the oil if they simply supported Gaddafi. Remember when many foreign oil workers pulled out of Libya?

Also, the oil Libya provides is not at all significant. It could easily be replaced by either getting oil from the Saudis or relying on more Russian oil and gas.

Top Ten Oil Exporting Countries

* Saudi Arabia (8.73 million barrels per day)
* Russia (6.67)
* Norway (2.91)
* Iran (2.55)
* Venezuela (2.36)
* United Arab Emirates (2.33)
* Kuwait (2.20)
* Nigeria (2.19)
* Mexico (1.80)
* Algeria (1.68)

As you can see, the West would have profited more Oil-wise if it made an excuse to invade Algeria.

So knowing that the "We did it for the oil" is bull****, and the West has no interest to colonise Libya: Yes, I fully support this military action.

Shall we rmind ourselves of the location of Libya?

They have tried to trigger the protest in Algeria, but fortunately the Algerians aren't that dumb. Libyans did it with their own hands..and a time will come when they will regret just like the Iraqis today. Unfortunately..we don't learn from history.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by MilkyC

Then why do they needs us to "invade" for oil?
Reply 30
This will not end well
Reply 31
Whats the difference between the situation in Libya and the situations in Yemen and Bahrain?

Why is the West so eager to get involved in Libya and do nothing in those countries? Oil maybe?
Reply 32
I'm sorry but I don't get how this is at all like Iraq or Afghanistan. Libya is a popular revolution. Iraq was an illegal war perpetrated to get oil and remove an anti-west dictator. In Iraq we put boots on the ground without the backing of the UN or Arab League. In Libya we are just providing air support with the backing of both the Arab League and the UN. Afghanistan also had support of the UN but we put ground forces in.

Neither of those conflicts bear any resemblance to the Libyan situation so if anyone wants to explain to me why they are similar, feel free.
Reply 33
While it may well be a motivating factor it's far too simplistic to boil everything down to "they wants their oil". Give it a rest.
Reply 34
I don't know enough about it to really give an informed opinion, but at least it's backed by the UN unlike Iraq.
Reply 35
Original post by AshleyT
I think it's kinda different though in the fact that the UN seem much more involved...rather than Iraq and Afghanistan being taken care of Illegally by UK and USA?

Hopefully won't be replaced by a puppet...but with democracy which is what Libya people seem to be fighting for.

Afghanistan was sanctioned by the UN....
Reply 36
I think the UN have done very well so far, just got to hope they stick to this plan now! But I honestly can't see them doing...
Reply 37
Original post by meenu89
Afghanistan was sanctioned by the UN....

Ah, was it?
How comes it's thought of as an illegal war(if the UN and thus pretty much the whole world voted for it? Or is that not how it works?)?
Reply 38
Original post by AshleyT
Ah, was it?
How comes it's thought of as an illegal war(if the UN and thus pretty much the whole world voted for it? Or is that not how it works?)?

I think you are getting mixed up with Iraq.
Reply 39
Original post by imperial maniac
This.

This action has bugger all to do with protecting civilians, they're probably going to bomb a civvy target next and then blame it on Gaddafi using "human shields".

Totally disproportional and unnecessary, Gaddafi was only attacking civilians who also happened to be planning a coo, civilians that support him can carry on with their normal lives. If you say that's enough to intervene, then why aren't we attacking other countries with military dictators?

The rebels are probably just as mental as he is, I doubt that western democracy will ever appear in the region by us bombing their cities. All that will happen is Gaddafi will now be able to unite the country against the invading west, we'll have another war over something that is nothing to do with us.

"Tell the West to destroy Gaddafi slowly, piece by piece by piece, the way he did to us for 40 years," Jamal al-Majbouri, who owns a farm nearby said.

Words from a Libyan.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/03/20/uk-libya-east-devastation-idUKTRE72J1MH20110320?pageNumber=2

Bahrain and Yemen protestors are not revolting, there's war going on... And the last thing the US wants is its allies turn into enemies, especially that Saudi, one of their closest Ally in the Middle East.
The Rebels arent as mental as he is, the NTC is composed of opposition politicians, former military officers, tribal leaders, academics and businessmen. How is it crazy for a set of people asking for freedom from Gaddafi's regime then start being shot and defended itself?

It's always its nothing to do with us. Well if somebody was getting stabbed infront of you and what little they have is taken away from them, would you just say it's nothing to do with you? You wouldnt say that if you're the one being attacked. coward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending