The Student Room Group

How has mental illness affected your life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Huge :jumphug: I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must have been :jumphug:

Am I right in thinking your firm is Cambridge? Oxbridge has very good welfare support generally :smile:

Why thankyou :smile:

That's actually one of my motivating factors in working as hard as I can to meet my offer. (I know; I'm so cool. Everyone else is going there because it's the best university in the world, and I'm going there because I think I might feel an awful lot better and happier there :tongue:) With the intense terms and things, I've heard that they have a lot of help even for people who don't have diagnosed mental health problems or whatever. The disability people also seem lovely, so I'm hoping that I can get a diagnosis of depression/bipolar/whatever it is that's wrong with me as soon as I get there, and start to work through it with someone.

Trouble is, I'm not entirely sure if I want to pursue counselling; I spent a couple of years in counselling between the ages of about 13 and 15, and I just found that nobody there took me seriously (mainly because all my issues were sex-related, and as I was a pretty unattractive and autistic early teenager, I got the general impression that nobody understood why someone would want to force me into sex.) But optimism triumphs, and I'm hoping to at least try the support services at uni and see if I can get anything positive from them :smile:
Well, today I was conclusively told that I had early onset bipolar disorder!
(Sorry for writing too much!)

I've always been hyperthymic - a personality type characterised by being energetic, gregarious and optimistic - although how much of that bled into hypomania is anyone's guess. In middle school, I was strange and had some inappropriate reactions - but generally happy. However, in high school, I started to get more severe mood changes - and accompanying cognitive deficits. I started to self-harm in the moderate depressive episodes (which included suicidal thoughts and gestures, but no actual attempts), fortunately high school was a breeze, so when I wasn't doing so well I could get away with coasting. I also had periods of hypomania - noticeable euphoria where I would run around kissing my friends. Brilliant! I would also be very productive - looking back, there were clear periods of not doing work, followed by bursts of getting all my coursework done. So, in high school - it wasn't too bad, but I started to realise something was up. Of course it was only with the depression and self-harm in mind - who thinks that feeling amazing could be a symptom?

I entered college alright, until the following February, when I started slipping into very severe bout of depression. This ****ed me up, in all honesty. Again, the self-harm came into my life again. I couldn't concentrate. I couldn't read. The following months are a blur. It included days (one at a time) which I had switched into manic symptoms - sometimes with, sometimes without the depressive symptoms. These only caused trouble - theft, getting very drunk, bizarre behaviour (running onto roundabouts for example). But understand, these were rare days amongst the debilitating depression - which did lead to attempted suicide (fortunately I was found before I did too much damage).
At the beginning of this period, I lost the group of friends I had at that time. I was disliked by one girl, which caused me to isolate myself from them. Fortunately my boyfriend stood by me and cared for me (without this care, I'm sure I would have done a lot more damage to myself, more severe self-harm, more fatal suicide).
Being put on anti-depressants did nothing.
I also experienced mild hallucinations.
After attempting suicide I managed to get referred to CAMHS - where I was assessed and promptly referred to a registrar psychiatrist who put me on Quetiapine. Quetiapine is an antipsychotic, but is also used to treat the moods of bipolar disorder, and it honestly helped, mostly with impulsivity really. However, it made me very drowsy, so I resisted an increased dose. I feel that it has pushed me further down than I would ideally like - due to the fact sleep and mood are very tightly linked in bipolar disorder and it made me sleep a lot.
Fortunately, after that episode dissapated, I still had a couple of weeks before my summer exams and I was able to teach myself enough to get me 3 As - as well as a D in my psychology paper, because I had to pick my battles. I resat that one, and got an A.
Somewhere along the way, I developed some form of social anxiety (as well as general anxiety), however the hope is with the correct treatment for my mood, I will get better in this respect. But this has affected my life a lot - I messed up my university panel interviews and I'm terrified of going to practice martial arts every week (because I don't want to cock up in front of all those people).

More recently, my moods have been, well, rapid cycling really - which has detracted from my ability to work for a couple of months. This is problematic because lots of things just get all jumbled up and I can't do very much about it! The worst thing has really been negative intrusive thoughts and the compulsion to self-harm. Fortunately, it just missed my exam period!

Today, the dose of quetiapine has been upped, so I anticipate increased drowsiness, but a mood-stabiliser has been added, so maybe they'll balance each other out? I don't know, but the side-effects will certainly affect my life.

Mental illness has also affected me from the aspect of my mother - who suffers from bipolar II and BPD (traits of which I see littered all over this thread).
This has been difficult, because I have been forced to tiptoe across eggshells. Not through fear of seeing a rage, but because I am so scared of upsetting her. I have come home to blood. I have had to ensure that she eats. I have spent time with her bed-ridden. I have answered the phone to her on admission to hospital. I have answered the phone to her suicidal and drunk. Fortunately, these things have only gotten very severe over the last 3 years - I was mature enough to deal with it.

But through all these things, both in my head and in my home, I have developed a deep sense of empathy and it has pushed me through to my ambition of Medicine.

And I'm really glad I got an early diagnosis - makes dealing with uni much easier, I'm sure.

One question: would you rather be treated by a completely mentally sound Psychiatrist, or one that has experienced mental illness (but is in remission, of course)?
(edited 13 years ago)
I used to suspect I might be mentally unwell, but I don't think so anymore, I think it's purely circumstantial.

I have no friends because I'm shy, I'm depressed because I have no friends, I feel like **** because I'm depressed, I feel anxious because I'm depressed, I took "meds" because the shrink said I was depressed, I hallucinate because of the "meds" ****ing up my brain, because of them ****ing up my brain I can't concentrate on uni and come across as even more weird, because I give stupid answers in class everyone thinks I'm a retard and won't be my friend hence I have no friends.

Vicious cycle.
Reply 463
Original post by kerily
Sadly not. She spends her whole time telling everyone we know about how I forced her into it, and how I'm a rapist (fun fact: it really ****s you up to have someone who raped you accuse you of rape) and how she is massively depressed because of 'what I did to her'. I realise that she's mentally ill and I imagine that she's built some sort of fantasy world in which she is the victim; she is very much the sort of person who constructs elaborate lies and fantasies and things. Which is also valid as a form of mental illness, but she isn't trying to reform into a sane member of society, rather trying to 'get over' what I apparently did to her. :rolleyes: It doesn't help that I have lessons with just me and her in too.

I did last week, and my GP told me that it's probably my period. This was a woman too! So I think I'm just waiting until I go to uni :smile:

Don't start self-harming. It is insanely addictive, which they don't tell you; I was actually addicted to it at one point, and had to do it several times a day, smuggle implements into school etc. It's never worth developing more conspicuous symptoms to get treatment. But equally, I understand the urge to have something where you can say 'here, I need help, look at this!' as opposed to just 'I feel really awful'.

I wish you luck with this new psychiatrist :smile: But £300? Wow. You'd better get a diagnosis for that!

Hey sorry, I attempted a reply, don't think it worked!

1) How do you refrain yourself from wanting to kill/beat/strangle that girl every time you see her?
2) I'm sorry you had to go through that
3) It took me a year to finally seek help when it came to a point that it had to be done, because you have a history of self harm and stuff are you sure you'll be okay til you go to Uni? As you probably experienced these things go down hill pretty rapidly.
4) Did it not hurt when you self harmed? I know yeah it can be addictive, but surely it hurt? no?

x
Original post by White Trash
I used to suspect I might be mentally unwell, but I don't think so anymore, I think it's purely circumstantial.

I have no friends because I'm shy, I'm depressed because I have no friends, I feel like **** because I'm depressed, I feel anxious because I'm depressed, I took "meds" because the shrink said I was depressed, I hallucinate because of the "meds" ****ing up my brain, because of them ****ing up my brain I can't concentrate on uni and come across as even more weird, because I give stupid answers in class everyone thinks I'm a retard and won't be my friend hence I have no friends.

Vicious cycle.

Please don't think like that : ( One has to look on the positive side of life. Take up a hobby, usually sports make one feel happier - I remember I went to the gym during a stressful and depressing time and I actually felt better.
In class, think before you answer. If you don't know the question, don't feel compelled to answer because you believe it's going to get you noticed.
As or friends, try first with your neighbours. Make small talk with them. Invite them to go for coffee sometime. Or, find a gourp in your lectures/class/course and go out with them. Go to the pub - drinking is always a good way to meet new friends. Join a society - join a sports club.

If all else fails, you have us : )
I don't understand those that have to wait for months and months on a waiting list to see a shrink.

I tell one person something and I have shrinks at my ****ing door within 30 minutes.

Oh, and how does mental illness affect your life? I'm not actually allowed to go out of the house because I am a "risk to myself and others."
Reply 466
Original post by orc7
1) How do you refrain yourself from wanting to kill/beat/strangle that girl every time you see her?

Magic. Mainly a combination of saying to myself 'it's ok, I'm the bigger person' and the like. It's very, very hard not to have a go at her, but I appreciate and understand that she has mental health problems which caused her to do this sort of thing, and that she will also be going through things. I don't excuse what she did, but I do understand that she will have had problems which led to it, and that getting hung up on hatred is not productive.

3) It took me a year to finally seek help when it came to a point that it had to be done, because you have a history of self harm and stuff are you sure you'll be okay til you go to Uni? As you probably experienced these things go down hill pretty rapidly.

I imagine I'll be fine once I get to uni; it's just the getting there. Luckily I already have my grades (well, I only have to average 67% in German this year, and aside from that I already have the A*A I need for UCL) so I needn't worry on that front. I can't wait until I leave home, and I'm definitely motivated to hang on until then :smile:

4) Did it not hurt when you self harmed? I know yeah it can be addictive, but surely it hurt? no?

It's scary, but I actually find that it doesn't hurt. I don't know why this is, but I don't feel pain in the actual area I'm cutting; I get a lot of pain in the fingers which are holding the blade, and on the exact same spot on the other arm, but not in the actual location I'm damaging. I'm not sure why. It doesn't hurt in a way that you notice, either; you sort of think 'oh, I'm in pain' like it's someone else who it's happening to, and then your body releases endorphins and you're just too high on those to care. I really would not recommend it, though; don't start if you can help it! :smile:
Original post by kerily
Why thankyou :smile:

That's actually one of my motivating factors in working as hard as I can to meet my offer. (I know; I'm so cool. Everyone else is going there because it's the best university in the world, and I'm going there because I think I might feel an awful lot better and happier there :tongue:) With the intense terms and things, I've heard that they have a lot of help even for people who don't have diagnosed mental health problems or whatever. The disability people also seem lovely, so I'm hoping that I can get a diagnosis of depression/bipolar/whatever it is that's wrong with me as soon as I get there, and start to work through it with someone.

Trouble is, I'm not entirely sure if I want to pursue counselling; I spent a couple of years in counselling between the ages of about 13 and 15, and I just found that nobody there took me seriously (mainly because all my issues were sex-related, and as I was a pretty unattractive and autistic early teenager, I got the general impression that nobody understood why someone would want to force me into sex.) But optimism triumphs, and I'm hoping to at least try the support services at uni and see if I can get anything positive from them :smile:

It's not silly at all. Granted my college choice was quite influenced by the architecture but the main motivation was finding the tutor very friendly and caring on the open day, and thinking he'd look after me :smile: I'm sure Cambridge will give you as much support as possible :smile:

Original post by DreadfullyFun
Well, today I was conclusively told that I had early onset bipolar disorder! ...

One question: would you rather be treated by a completely mentally sound Psychiatrist, or one that has experienced mental illness (but is in remission, of course)?

:jumphug:

I'm not sure what my answer would be tbh. I don't always feels like my psychiatrist understands me but then again I'm quite special :biggrin: I think I'd be worried that they might push their past issues onto me or use their own experience to diagnose me. I heard somewhere that psychiatrists have to undergo therapy themselves to make sure that doesn't happen, and I found that quite reassuring to learn :yes:

Original post by White Trash

Vicious cycle.

Have you told the shrink about the negative effects the meds are having? :console:
it annoys me that i cannot cope with what is in the grand scheme of things basically a bit of light admin
Reply 469
A few people have said to me over the past month or so that they think i should go talk to someone. My problem is i let things build up and in my mind they seem a lot worse than usual, so then i get upset about little things too much and get paranoid and this generally makes things worse. I've been emailing my uni counselling system and they say that it sounds like maybe a hormone imbalance and i should maybe go see my GP? They also suggested making an appointment with them, but i feel like i kind of should deal with it on my own and that there is people with more serious problems than me out there. But then i look at it and see that due to the way i've been acting i've already lost a best friend and don't want to lose anyone else from my life :frown:
How has mental illness affected my life?
lol
It' more like how has life affected my mental illness
Reply 471
x.
(edited 12 years ago)
I had OCD when I was 10 - 16 years old. It took my family 3 years to finally realise there was something wrong with me. I was washing my hands for hours til they bled. I kept washing the dishes even when I dropped and broke them and then cutting me I still washed them. I would shower for hours as well. These are just a few of the more sane rituals, the other ones were horrible I'm not even going to talk about it. It's horrible because it literally takes control of your life. You set up a really strict routine/schedule for yourself, which you can't even follow anyway cause it has to be so perfect, which in turn adds more to the copious amount of anxiety and stress you are already feeling. When something small interrupts this routine, you go crazy.

Worst part is, you're aware of it all. You're trapped inside your own mind each day hoping, screaming for help but you just can't. You're too scared of what others think of you. The social stigma. It's severely frustrating cause you know the things you're doing are illogical but you're being forced to do it just to get that fear away. Imagine this, every single day, every second for 6 years (even worse for some who have had it for over 20-30 years), as a 10 year old. Waking up each day only to do your rituals and then going back to sleep again knowing the next day will be the same. You become severely depressed really soon. And then when you become depressed you just give up and give into your OCD. It becomes a part of you. You lose sense of who you are.

My parents didn’t handle this very well, maybe because they’re Chinese? I don’t know but I was kicked and spat on by my dad, got called demon possessed by my mum, was kicked out of the house many times into the streets. Heck, I actually enjoyed staying on the streets because my OCD was so bad it was like a break. I actually dreaded coming back even if it was in the winter and I had no shoes on cause I would just have to continue my rituals. On top of all this I got bullied at school. I was admitted to hospital a few times and stayed there for about a year.

This OCD took me to hell many times. I missed lots of years in school because of it. I missed my GCSEs. I missed all the things a child should have done. I missed the chance of learning how to build relationships and friendships with others because I was stuck in the house by myself for 6 years doing all those rituals and now as a result, I'm really socially messed up. As a result of the OCD, I now have to put up with social anxiety and depression. So even after overcoming OCD, it’s left a big mess and I have to clean it all up. Honestly, I just feel resentment more than anything else. I feel like I lost my childhood. I lost 6 years of my life which I will never get back. After all those 6 years I just feel emotionally detached from everyone.

In the end, despite the amount of psychologists/psychiatrists/therapists I saw, none of them helped at all. I had to overcome it all by myself. I even told them I had social problems which is very clear and they shrugged it off and now here I am 21 years old, socially incapable, which I will have to overcome as well, all by myself.

So, mental illness has now been affecting me for 11 years and counting.

Anyway, I'm trying really hard to come to terms with it and to try and see the positive things that came out of it...if any.

http://westsuffolkpsych.homestead.com/lost_years.html
(edited 13 years ago)
In my opinion (so don't get cross), I think that the term depression is thrown around too lightly these days, say, compared to fifty years ago. I think that the bar for depression should be raised considerably to account for the added stresses and pressures of life in 2000, so that way people can stop saying they're depressed and can understand that even though they feel down, they are NORMAL.
Reply 474
Original post by twist.the.illusion
In my opinion (so don't get cross), I think that the term depression is thrown around too lightly these days, say, compared to fifty years ago. I think that the bar for depression should be raised considerably to account for the added stresses and pressures of life in 2000, so that way people can stop saying they're depressed and can understand that even though they feel down, they are NORMAL.

In some ways I agree with this, because if someone actually is depressed and says "I am depressed", people often don't take them seriously and it's very easy to just say "oh cheer up" without fully understanding the severity of the situation!
Original post by gemma249
In some ways I agree with this, because if someone actually is depressed and says "I am depressed", people often don't take them seriously and it's very easy to just say "oh cheer up" without fully understanding the severity of the situation!

The whole thing is about understanding. In the patient and in society. Understanding what depression means rather than the associated stereotypes.

"Cheer up, it might never happen"

I HATE that.
I'm not sure if it's even appropriate to post here, but I'll give it a go anyway, what's the worst that can happen?

I'm not even sure what I'm going through can be deemed as a mental illness and I'm not sure where to start. My parents always suffered from a turbulent relationship - lots of shouting and such which I guess at a young age isn't pleasant. But as time went on, I realised that it wasn't just shouting, there was physical abuse too. I witnessed my father hitting my mother with a belt, attempting to push her down the stairs... so many things I couldn't even go on with. Many times my mother packed a bag for the two of us and drove around all night so we wouldn't have to go home. I'd cry for hours and hours but the next day, my father would apologise and I wanted the happy family I saw "everyone else" having and I wanted that too. The police became regular fixtures in my household but I guess I always maintained that I was fine, and so everything ticked on accordingly. I never told anyone at school, as my father had an amazingly squeaky clean image (he was a police officer himself) and I just assumed that anyone I told would think I was lying. All the violence and blood and the tears carried on until I turned 17 and my mother finally had the courage to leave. At the same time, my uncle (on my dad's side) died, and due to me being "on my mother's side", I wasn't allowed to the funeral, and so, I guess, I was never allowed to grieve.

I managed to keep up with school and work but things were changing in my head. I started going through obsessive phases of panicking about where my mother was even if she was 2 or 3 minutes late from work. I'd always think she'd been in a car accident or she would never come back home for whatever reason. If I saw a car outside our house that I didn't recognise, I'd assume the person inside the car was watching us, and that something really bad would happen to me if I left the house. All these weird overwhelming feelings took over everything I did, and I became suspicious of everyone's motives... mainly irrational looking back on it all now. Feeling out of sync with all of my friends and bursting into tears at crazy times became part and parcel of daily life. Suicidal thoughts would creep in and I'd lie in bed wondering how easy it would be if life just had some sort of switch, and I could flick it to the off position. Naturally, I didn't want my friends to know so I kept going with the happy-go-lucky me that I seemed to be able to act out really well. I'm in my first year of university now and I guess the feelings of losing control are still scaring me. The feelings of loneliness and alienation seem to be growing, I think I may have been to 2 or 3 lectures this year so far and I'm not sure how I've managed to get away with only having one disciplinary meeting so far. Sleeping all day and staying awake all night just thinking seems to be much more appealing even though I want to go and learn. I get scared of myself, thinking that no one will like me or I'll say something stupid. I mean, this itself written down seems really stupid but the thoughts manifest in my brain to a degree where I just don't go in to university, I stay in my own bubble. But this gives my mind time to wander and the amount of times I've considered doing something really stupid to myself is crazy.

It was really nice to write all of that down and (hopefully) not get judged by anyone. It's a scary time for me right now as I'm away from my support network, and even then I've never really spoken to my mother at length about things as I feel that she may feel some guilt for the situation although of course, nothing was her fault. The knock on effects of whatever I'm experiencing has been massive - crazy mood swings, amazingly low self esteem... to the point where I've never had any sort of relationship as I get scared of letting men in too close and I'd probably get paranoid of their whereabouts. I always suspect everyone's lying to me even when they aren't. Whatever this is is just taking over everything I do and I have no idea what's going on or who to turn to. So... how it's affecting me? I'm not sure because I know at some point previously I was a happy carefree child. But all this has been going on for so long that I don't quite know what to do or who to turn to. Or... what's even wrong with me... It's just frightening.
Original post by you7me
i've had mild anorexia for months and i only found out the other day
how has this affected me??
i don't show the physical signs which revolve around being underweight and whatever (i'm average) so no one can spot any proper signs and i can't talk about it to anyone so while everyone's [in my family] eating nice and healthily...or atleast healthy for asians! :tongue: i'm not.
i've also developed trust issues with the very few of my friends who found out the day i did coz the look on my face seemed to scream ''there's something wrong with me''

on the plus side, i found out i'm a really good actress! :lol:

I'm sorry, I couldn't let this go without a reply.
:hugs:
I have no idea why you've got negged. In ethnic minority families, especially, it seems like no-one looks out for eating disorders because they think it's a 'white person thing'. In my case, my mum knew before I had a clue anything was wrong with me but no-one listened to her because she was insisting I had an ED since I was about 7 or 8 so...
I'd definately tell you to get help because at least you can acknowledge that you have a problem. I've had people accusing me of having an ED forever even when I was eating 'normally' (I've always hated food) so that when I actually did develop one and *sort of* knew, I was in really deep denial and it didn't go away until I was hospitalised.

Your friends care about you. Trust them with it. One of the horrible things about anorexia is it forces you to withdraw from everyone. I didn't tell my friends and I lost most of them. Talk to them because they love you and hopefully they'll be good enough to support you.

Biologically, things get even harder when you get below a certain weight so it's better to get treatment when you're at a weight that's 'normal' than it is to get treatment when your brain can't handle it. Making yourself more ill to get treatment just complicates things. And don't judge the severity of your anorexia by your weight either, it's easy to get into the 'I'm not ill because my weight is X' trap. Believe me, you don't want the physical signs.
What I'm trying to say is, make sure you get help as early as possible. Because the longer you leave it, the harder it gets to live without it.

Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure if it's even appropriate to post here, but I'll give it a go anyway, what's the worst that can happen?

I'm not even sure what I'm going through can be deemed as a mental illness and I'm not sure where to start. My parents always suffered from a turbulent relationship - lots of shouting and such which I guess at a young age isn't pleasant. But as time went on, I realised that it wasn't just shouting, there was physical abuse too. I witnessed my father hitting my mother with a belt, attempting to push her down the stairs... so many things I couldn't even go on with. Many times my mother packed a bag for the two of us and drove around all night so we wouldn't have to go home. I'd cry for hours and hours but the next day, my father would apologise and I wanted the happy family I saw "everyone else" having and I wanted that too. The police became regular fixtures in my household but I guess I always maintained that I was fine, and so everything ticked on accordingly. I never told anyone at school, as my father had an amazingly squeaky clean image (he was a police officer himself) and I just assumed that anyone I told would think I was lying. All the violence and blood and the tears carried on until I turned 17 and my mother finally had the courage to leave. At the same time, my uncle (on my dad's side) died, and due to me being "on my mother's side", I wasn't allowed to the funeral, and so, I guess, I was never allowed to grieve.

I managed to keep up with school and work but things were changing in my head. I started going through obsessive phases of panicking about where my mother was even if she was 2 or 3 minutes late from work. I'd always think she'd been in a car accident or she would never come back home for whatever reason. If I saw a car outside our house that I didn't recognise, I'd assume the person inside the car was watching us, and that something really bad would happen to me if I left the house. All these weird overwhelming feelings took over everything I did, and I became suspicious of everyone's motives... mainly irrational looking back on it all now. Feeling out of sync with all of my friends and bursting into tears at crazy times became part and parcel of daily life. Suicidal thoughts would creep in and I'd lie in bed wondering how easy it would be if life just had some sort of switch, and I could flick it to the off position. Naturally, I didn't want my friends to know so I kept going with the happy-go-lucky me that I seemed to be able to act out really well. I'm in my first year of university now and I guess the feelings of losing control are still scaring me. The feelings of loneliness and alienation seem to be growing, I think I may have been to 2 or 3 lectures this year so far and I'm not sure how I've managed to get away with only having one disciplinary meeting so far. Sleeping all day and staying awake all night just thinking seems to be much more appealing even though I want to go and learn. I get scared of myself, thinking that no one will like me or I'll say something stupid. I mean, this itself written down seems really stupid but the thoughts manifest in my brain to a degree where I just don't go in to university, I stay in my own bubble. But this gives my mind time to wander and the amount of times I've considered doing something really stupid to myself is crazy.

It was really nice to write all of that down and (hopefully) not get judged by anyone. It's a scary time for me right now as I'm away from my support network, and even then I've never really spoken to my mother at length about things as I feel that she may feel some guilt for the situation although of course, nothing was her fault. The knock on effects of whatever I'm experiencing has been massive - crazy mood swings, amazingly low self esteem... to the point where I've never had any sort of relationship as I get scared of letting men in too close and I'd probably get paranoid of their whereabouts. I always suspect everyone's lying to me even when they aren't. Whatever this is is just taking over everything I do and I have no idea what's going on or who to turn to. So... how it's affecting me? I'm not sure because I know at some point previously I was a happy carefree child. But all this has been going on for so long that I don't quite know what to do or who to turn to. Or... what's even wrong with me... It's just frightening.

I just want to give you a hug. :hugs: I can identify with so much of this but I just don't know what to say. Have you had any therapy/counselling?

Anorexia and depression here. :sigh:
Put it this way, if I'm not suicidal and nonfunctional, I'm starving. If I'm not starving, I'm suicidal and nonfunctional. When I starve too much and for too long I'm even more suicidal and nonfunctional than I am when I'm 'merely' depressed. :sigh: Flippant but it sums up how both illnesses feed into each other pretty well.

I forgot to eat one day two weeks ago (I just wasn't hungry...) and here I am on a downward spiral again. This is after 8 months of physical recovery- can't say I ate properly or was emotionally ok because I wasn't but my weight was ok and that seems to be the only thing doctors/family care about. Now my weight has dropped again and the anorexic thoughts/urges are even more powerful than they were before. I can't believe it's happening so quickly again at the worst possible time but it's made me so happy I have to hold on to it. I was holding on to university and the possibility of having a life but I've stopped caring- why have I stopped caring? All I want is my anorexic bubble. I know it's the last thing I need with A level exams coming up and, frankly, I don't have time for this ****. I need to revise and I need to do well in my exams. I'm terrified about my future because of this. If it doesn't kill me, it's definitely going to destroy my life. I can't get to that point. But knowing something intellectually and being able to act on it are two different things. I can't seem to stop it and I'm scared. I don't have anyone I can really talk to about it because everyone will think I'm a failure after spending so long in hospital before and my mum thinks it's an issue of willpower, when it's not. It's just a complete disconnection and failure to realise that logic= reality and anorexia logic isn't true.
Original post by twist.the.illusion

How will that help them? What added stresses and pressures?

I can appreciate that environmental pressures can make 'depression' more common and even an understandable / expected reaction or state, all things considered; but the right reaction to this wouldn't seem to be to say that depression is just "normal" and not something that it would be right to help people with.

I think pretty much all professionals are agreed that talking therapy is the best treatment for mild-moderate depression, and what that says to me is that social, cultural and economic conditions are a big problem if it takes an institutionalised profession to provide the kind of support that should (ideally?) be provided by more or less informal social groups (in the same way that social services provide services to patch up or deal with problems caused by social, economic and cultural conditions).

It doesn't make those problems any less real (or indeed, any less physical - we shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that just because something is a reaction to social conditions, that it isn't a physical reaction), and while I agree that our attitude to mental illness and treating it has become very individualised, that doesn't mean treating it on an individual level should be sidelined. - The problem isn't just with overmedicalising normality, it's with overindividualising mental illness as such, and giving it a sharp distinction from "social illness".

I'd also add that very serious major depression can be triggered by all the same stressors that trigger milder depressions in others. There's not necessarily a sharp difference qualitatively such that you can raise the bar and say that depressions worse than level x are "real" depressions and others are environmental. There's always a complex interaction between biology, genetics, personality disposition, events and environment.

But, to be honest, I don't understand why this thread is attracting so many posts like these. Whenever people talk about their problems like this there's always someone who has to pop up and juuuuuust :fyi: say that people should man up, basically. Like, why? OK, you think depression is overdiagnosed but why do you have to come to a thread for people talking about how their mental health problems have affected them to say that? :dontknow:
Original post by littleshambles
How will that help them? What added stresses and pressures?

I can appreciate that environmental pressures can make 'depression' more common and even an understandable / expected reaction or state, all things considered; but the right reaction to this wouldn't seem to be to say that depression is just "normal" and not something that it would be right to help people with.

I think pretty much all professionals are agreed that talking therapy is the best treatment for mild-moderate depression, and what that says to me is that social, cultural and economic conditions are a big problem if it takes an institutionalised profession to provide the kind of support that should (ideally?) be provided by more or less informal social groups (in the same way that social services provide services to patch up or deal with problems caused by social, economic and cultural conditions).

It doesn't make those problems any less real (or indeed, any less physical - we shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that just because something is a reaction to social conditions, that it isn't a physical reaction), and while I agree that our attitude to mental illness and treating it has become very individualised, that doesn't mean treating it on an individual level should be sidelined. - The problem isn't just with overmedicalising normality, it's with overindividualising mental illness as such, and giving it a sharp distinction from "social illness".

I'd also add that very serious major depression can be triggered by all the same stressors that trigger milder depressions in others. There's not necessarily a sharp difference qualitatively such that you can raise the bar and say that depressions worse than level x are "real" depressions and others are environmental. There's always a complex interaction between biology, genetics, personality disposition, events and environment.

But, to be honest, I don't understand why this thread is attracting so many posts like these. Whenever people talk about their problems like this there's always someone who has to pop up and juuuuuust :fyi: say that people should man up, basically. Like, why? OK, you think depression is overdiagnosed but why do you have to come to a thread for people talking about how their mental health problems have affected them to say that? :dontknow:

Calm down! This is a place to express opinions and that's what I did!

First of all. I think you've completely missed my point. My concern is simply that your mind plays tricks on you. There was some psychological experiment (the name of it eludes me right now), that showed if you gave a group of people a set of symptoms they would all end up believing that they in fact were suffering from whatever disease the symptoms were supposed to be portraying. Depression has still has such a stigma attached to it that in fact saying you suffer from depression can actually make you feel more depressed. My point was if you feel normal like the next guy over who's suffering from the same thing, you might feel a little better about said depression.

I didn't say anything about 'manning up' at all so please don't try and read what isn't there.

Just to add too; I didn't say that depression is overdiagnosed. What I was getting at is that everyone seems to be affected by it these days and doesn't that in itself make the whole thing 'normal'.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending