The Student Room Group

Do you agree with military action in Libya (poll included.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by garethDT
Changing your dictator every few years is hardly freedom.

We have democracy in this country. Are you saying there's no difference between voting Gordon Brown into power and voting Nick Griffin into power? Both would have very different ruling styles with very different values, policies and intentions. It's clear that having the ability to choose between leaders of such polarised values is freedom. Having the ability to choose between leaders at all is a situation of greater freedom than not having the ability.
Reply 81
Original post by meenu89
Whether you like him or not, and I mostly don't, he shown leadership on this issue.

Sorry, has running the country suddenly become The X Factor? Out of all the politicians desperate to become PM, whoever actually gets the job should show leadership at all times and be an all round perfect leader. Not occasionaly showing a 'spark of genius' like a trophy to add to the leadership cabinet.

The complacency of this country despairs me.
Reply 82
looool ohnoes communist is such a bad word! Run for cover! Kind of like capatalist, really.

Those who are actually poor don't need petrol because they're struggling to stay alive.
Absolutely disagree.

This is a colonial war just like Iraq and Afghanistan.

SPOT ON! nothing to do with Britain and france so they should **** off
Original post by woods.vanessa
And it's funny how they're all calling him a 'dictator'.
He didn't become one overnight!
Such hypocrisy it's a joke.

Matter of convenience..........one can only hope their brief is to prevent attacks on Bengazhi.......but then i knw i am naive when i hope that its only that much
Original post by hamijack
Libya because it is a civil war with armed pro-democracy revolutionaries against a dictator who has freely admitted that he is going to "punish" all those who stood against him. And the rebels asked for international intervention.

Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are just protests at the moment and even thought they are being violently repressed, they haven't taken control of half the country, they haven't asked for international intervention. The situations are totally different.

Which is something a lot of people on this forum don't seem to understand: All international situations are individual, there is no template action to be taken, each must be examined individually.

The rebels do not represent the thoughts of Libya as a whole, a lot of people forget that Gaddafi still has many supporters.
Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are not just protests, many people are being killed now. It may not be on the scale of Libya yet but it eventually will be and so will Britain intervene then because nobody's answered that question.
Reply 86
Original post by morris743
Sorry, has running the country suddenly become The X Factor? Out of all the politicians desperate to become PM, whoever actually gets the job should show leadership at all times and be an all round perfect leader. Not occasionaly showing a 'spark of genius' like a trophy to add to the leadership cabinet.

The complacency of this country despairs me.

Where the hell did I mention the X-factor? Did Gordon Brown show leadership at all times? It does take time to grow into a job. I'm sure if he had a Tory majority behind him I would like more of the decisions he made.
looool ohnoes communist is such a bad word! Run for cover! Kind of like capatalist, really.

Those who are actually poor don't need petrol because they're struggling to stay alive.

My god!!! ......such paranoia to communism.......paranoia to guys like stalin is ok i guess......but then capitalism has its villains too.....
Reply 88
Original post by meenu89
Where the hell did I mention the X-factor? Did Gordon Brown show leadership at all times, it does take time to grow into a job. I'm sure if he had a Tory majority behind him I would like more of the decisions he made.

No I mentioned it because that seems to be the general concensus when it comes to anything in this silly country now. Let's try a little and see what happens but let's not go out of our way.

If you're going to run a country and tell us all what to do, at the very least I expect you to be working all hours and perfect in the job from day 1. He's been there almost a year now, and is a poor version of Blair.
Reply 89
Original post by woods.vanessa
The rebels do not represent the thoughts of Libya as a whole, a lot of people forget that Gaddafi still has many supporters.
Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are not just protests, many people are being killed now. It may not be on the scale of Libya yet but it eventually will be and so will Britain intervene then because nobody's answered that question.

The rebels represent the majority of the Libyan people, how else do you explain the fact that they took pretty much the whole of the country, bar Tripoli and Sirte, the only two towns where people are openly in support of Gaddafi?

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Yemen are not yet armed revolutions, if and when they are then I would fully support an international intervention if it was asked for by the pro-democracy revolutionaries.
Reply 90
Original post by mynameisred
My god!!! ......such paranoia to communism.......paranoia to guys like stalin is ok i guess......but then capitalism has its villains too.....

You're telling me! Hello banks...
Reply 91
Original post by Retrodiction
We have democracy in this country. Are you saying there's no difference between voting Gordon Brown into power and voting Nick Griffin into power? Both would have very different ruling styles with very different values, policies and intentions. It's clear that having the ability to choose between leaders of such polarised values is freedom. Having the ability to choose between leaders at all is a situation of greater freedom than not having the ability.

Gordon Brown was never voted into power. And it isn't a choice between polarised values, it's a choice between conservative and labour, whose policies are broadly the same. Representative democracy is a great way to give people the illusion of freedom since the majority of the country are morons, Murdoch tells them who to vote for and they do as they are told.

I don't believe in representative democracy because it hands the power over to morons to choose their dictator.
Yes. The Libyan people have asked for our help, and we shall rightly support them, paving the way for freedom of choice for all. With our help, the Libyan people should stand a better chance of removing their vicious despot from power.
Reply 93
No I mentioned it because that seems to be the general concensus when it comes to anything in this silly country now. Let's try a little and see what happens but let's not go out of our way.

If you're going to run a country and tell us all what to do, at the very least I expect you to be working all hours and perfect in the job from day 1. He's been there almost a year now, and is a poor version of Blair.

In my original post I only wrote what I thought of him. I am sure he works hard everyday, just like I am sure that all PMs before him used to. I just said that I liked the way he led on this issue, and I am someone who is not impressed by the some of the policies he has undertaken.
Original post by Retrodiction
And the majority of North Koreans are happy with their dictator. Does that immediately mean that they shouldn't even be given the chance to change it? Having the freedom to choose the leader of your country comes hand in hand with being happy with your leader. It's all well and good being happy with your leader, but having the chance to vote to change the leader is more important.

People are brainwashed in North Korea, though. If the people there complain, they are removed.
Reply 95
Original post by meenu89
In my original post I only wrote what I thought of him. I am sure he works hard everyday, just like I am sure that all PMs before him used to. I just said that I liked the way he led on this issue, and I am someone who is not impressed by the some of the policies he has undertaken.

Fine. I'll admit it. I'm annoyed it didn't go to Boris.
Original post by hamijack
The rebels represent the majority of the Libyan people, how else do you explain the fact that they took pretty much the whole of the country, bar Tripoli and Sirte, the only two towns where people are openly in support of Gaddafi?

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Yemen are not yet armed revolutions, if and when they are then I would fully support an international intervention if it was asked for by the pro-democracy revolutionaries.

Well when armed men go into a city everyday people aren't exactly going to disagree with them are they!
You cannot claim that they represent the majority because you can't know that.
I doubt the British public would support their armed forces going into Libya, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain AND Yemen whilst there are still troops in Iraq but that's just my opinion.
It's interesting how countries such as China, Germany and Russia who have some of the biggest defence forces decided not to take part.
Original post by Aj12
With Muslim support.....

They are calling it a crusade. Must be the first crusade to have Muslims involved

LOL if you think those Arab countries represent the views of their people.

And anyway, the Arab League has condemned the military strikes on Libya, days after being at the meeting in Paris.

And there were still Muslim countries involved in both the Afghanistan and Iraq war, but that didnt make any difference to anyone's views about those wars.
(edited 13 years ago)
Gordon Brown was never voted into power. And it isn't a choice between polarised values, it's a choice between conservative and labour, whose policies are broadly the same. Representative democracy is a great way to give people the illusion of freedom since the majority of the country are morons, Murdoch tells them who to vote for and they do as they are told.

I don't believe in representative democracy because it hands the power over to morons to choose their dictator.

Nice collection of baseless assertions you have there.

You're clearly not familiar with the concept of 'correlation does not imply causation'. The mere fact that Murdoch happens to support the same party that is in power is not an indicator that Murdoch is the cause of their being in power.

If you don't believe in the effectiveness of representative democracy then what would you prefer? That only university graduates can vote? That only those of a certain IQ can vote? That only the cream of the country's intelligentia can vote? Or do you not believe in democracy at all?
Reply 99
Absolutely disagree.

This is a colonial war just like Iraq and Afghanistan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending