The Student Room Group

Do you agree with military action in Libya (poll included.

Scroll to see replies

You're accusing me of being naive, where do you get your info, Sky News? CNN? Directly from the UN who obviously wouldn't go about proclaiming civilian deaths?

So you think that no innocent civilians have been killed so far right?

And IF the principle of the UN 'intervention' (invasion) is to remove Gaddafi because he is killing his own people then it would be pretty hypocritical to go about removing him in a way which will also cause massive civilian deaths (directly through air strikes and the like and indirectly from the fighting caused by the invasion). Unless you are so naive as to believe this won't be the case?
(edited 13 years ago)
I think once the dust has settled countries like US, france and UK have to look inwards.........economy is down, jobs are being shipped to India and china, Obama comes to India to sell what?......arms..........why?.......to generate jobs......wow!!!.....its this jekyll and hyde thing.....on the one hand u need to provide jobs for ur ppl by selling arms and on the other u need to fulfill ur obligations as a peace prize receipient......:frown:.....dont knw where the world is going.....
Original post by mathew551
People are brainwashed in North Korea, though. If the people there complain, they are removed.

And? I was responding to the point that democracy should not implemented if the majority support the dictatorship. I see this as an incoherent conclusion.
Reply 103
Original post by chrislpp

That is an epic fail of an epic fail picture.
Reply 104
Original post by iainthegreat
You're accusing me of being naive, where do you get your info, Sky News? CNN? Directly from the UN who obviously wouldn't go about proclaimed civilian deaths?

So you think that no innocent civilians have been killed so far right?

And IF the principle of the UN 'intervention' (invasion) is to remove Gaddafi because he is killing his own people then it would be pretty hypocritical to go about removing him in a way which will also cause massive civilian deaths (directly through air strikes and the like and indirectly from the fighting caused by the invasion). Unless you are so naive as to believe this won't be the case?

Where do you get your info from?
Original post by mathew551
Yes. The Libyan people have asked for our help, and we shall rightly support them, paving the way for freedom of choice for all. With our help, the Libyan people should stand a better chance of removing their vicious despot from power.

The Libyan people have not asked us for our help.

The rebels asked us for our help. They are not civilians, they are armed enemy combatants in another soverign nation's civil war.

We are taking sides in armed conflict, a civil war. And eventually regime change is going to be on the table despite the original resolution.

You Sir, should be neg repped viciously for your stupidity and lack of understanding in the matter because you're so brainwashed by the Western Media.
(edited 13 years ago)
The fail lingering around current affairs today is quite tremendous.
Original post by hamijack
The rebels represent the majority of the Libyan people, how else do you explain the fact that they took pretty much the whole of the country, bar Tripoli and Sirte, the only two towns where people are openly in support of Gaddafi?

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Yemen are not yet armed revolutions, if and when they are then I would fully support an international intervention if it was asked for by the pro-democracy revolutionaries.

Do you not see it as completely foolish to be supporting these 'rebels' when we have absolutely no idea who the hell they are, or what they represent?
Reply 108
You are an idiot. You think the West gives a **** about innocent lives. What about Yemen and Bahrain, innocent people are being killed there? Why aren't the West interfering? They're just doing it for their selfish needs you cretin. Learn to think for yourself instead of recycling the crap you hear.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by woods.vanessa
Well when armed men go into a city everyday people aren't exactly going to disagree with them are they!
You cannot claim that they represent the majority because you can't know that.
I doubt the British public would support their armed forces going into Libya, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain AND Yemen whilst there are still troops in Iraq but that's just my opinion.
It's interesting how countries such as China, Germany and Russia who have some of the biggest defence forces decided not to take part.

Well by your own logic you can't know that they aren't the majority of the people. BTW, are you dumb? Because British forces pulled out of Iraq ages ago.... Also we aren't going to send ground troops to any of these countries, the UN didn't clear that and there is no political support for it.

China, Russia and Germany didn't take part, so what? They don't have to intervene if they don't want to, they may feel like they are undermining the credibility of the revolution, which is a perfectly valid excuse.
Original post by morris743
That is an epic fail of an epic fail picture.

Have to agree.....one thing is sure....,there are many goebbels and they are on both the sides
This military action = Obama/Cameron/Sarkozy trying to get back in the good books of the voters in their respective countries.

/thread
Reply 112
This military action = Obama/Cameron/Sarkozy trying to get back in the good books of the voters in their respective countries.

/thread

Prize for post 123! Bravo.
Where do you get your info from?

From sources as neutral as possible and as close to the conflict as possible. At the moment Libyan health officials have said the death toll from UN air strikes stands at 63.
Original post by hamijack
Well by your own logic you can't know that they aren't the majority of the people. BTW, are you dumb? Because British forces pulled out of Iraq ages ago.... Also we aren't going to send ground troops to any of these countries, the UN didn't clear that and there is no political support for it.

China, Russia and Germany didn't take part, so what? They don't have to intervene if they don't want to, they may feel like they are undermining the credibility of the revolution, which is a perfectly valid excuse.

Ha I meant Afghanistan, calm down. People on here get so excited.
My point is still that they do not represent the Libyan people; everybody has seen some of the protesters supporting Gaddafi. Just because they have the Arab League's backing, which again does not represent Libyans, doesn't mean they have the right to start bombing the country and consequently killing some of the innocent civilians they went in to protect.
I doubt that none of the countries involved will send in ground troops, it will happen eventually.

/thread

They would do better ........starting with their economies
Prize for post 123! Bravo.

You are getting better at trolling with each page that goes by :biggrin:
Original post by MrGuillotine
Do you not see it as completely foolish to be supporting these 'rebels' when we have absolutely no idea who the hell they are, or what they represent?

They are people asking to be able to choose their own leader through democracy after being ruled by a slightly crazy man for the last 42 years. I think that's worthy of my support.
Original post by mynameisred
They would do better ........starting with their economies

Yea, but they know what they are doing when it comes to sanctioning a middle-eastern country.
Original post by woods.vanessa
Ha I meant Afghanistan, calm down. People on here get so excited.
My point is still that they do not represent the Libyan people; everybody has seen some of the protesters supporting Gaddafi. Just because they have the Arab League's backing, which again does not represent Libyans, doesn't mean they have the right to start bombing the country and consequently killing some of the innocent civilians they went in to protect.
I doubt that none of the countries involved will send in ground troops, it will happen eventually.

No one point of view ever represents what an entire nation of people think. The rebels represent THE MAJORITY of the populations views. The UN has expressly forbidden ground troops from being deployed, so it's not gonna happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending