The Student Room Group

Funding A levels as an adult to be studied at a sixth form

Hi,
I'm currently a second year A level student (I'm 18 at the moment) and I'm doing 3 A2's and an AS. I want to do my AS subject at uni, but the trouble is I need it to A2 and this would require another year of study in it. So I've asked for a 3rd year at college, unfortunately the college is refusing a lot of 3rd year requests this year due to the government cuts (I take from the adult education budget the day I turn 19 in November). It's not 100 percent they'll say no, or yes, at the moment. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the cost of taking one (maybe two) a levels and if anyone thinks college will be more likely to accept me if I can partially, or fully, pay for A levels.
Is it an FE College? If so they should offer you reasonably priced evening courses for most A level subjects.
If it's a sixth form college, they may not accept part-time students even if you are willing to pay. Generally, you need 3 A level subjects to be classed as a full time student. If your college wont let you stay on another year free of charge, there should be several other sixth forms in your area that would be happy to take you?
Reply 2
Original post by Vicki-Marie
Is it an FE College? If so they should offer you reasonably priced evening courses for most A level subjects.
If it's a sixth form college, they may not accept part-time students even if you are willing to pay. Generally, you need 3 A level subjects to be classed as a full time student. If your college wont let you stay on another year free of charge, there should be several other sixth forms in your area that would be happy to take you?

Thanks :smile: To answer you question, there are other sixth form colleges in the area, but they are between 12 and 15 miles away, whereas the one I'm at is close and much much cheaper to travel to, plus it would also be more ideal as I feel very settled there. And you generally do need 3 A levels, but if I did History A2, then doubled boxed something else, I would be in college for 12 hours a week and would therefore qualify as a full time student. My college doesn't do evening classes for A levels unfortunately. Do you think they'll let me stay if I'm willing to pay as a full time student? Also, do you know how much A levels will cost to be taken at college? I know they are several hundred pounds through distance learning, but I'm wondering how much the cost varies.
Thank you :smile:
Probably a couple hundred at college evening classes, but rates vary in the UK. I'm pretty sure you are entitled to 3 free years of 6th form so I can't see how they have the right to turn you away unless the courses are already full. But maybe try offering to pay. They may let you have free tuition if you pay for your exam entries.

Alternatively, take a gap year, and do A2 History in your free time, with a private tutor. Then all you need the college to do is enter you for the exam as an external student. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Vicki-Marie
Probably a couple hundred at college evening classes, but rates vary in the UK. I'm pretty sure you are entitled to 3 free years of 6th form so I can't see how they have the right to turn you away unless the courses are already full. But maybe try offering to pay. They may let you have free tuition if you pay for your exam entries.

They're turning people away for the first time in years due to the education cuts
I swear you are allowed 3 years of free education provided for by the government providing you are under 19 years old when you start in September, which you would be. This is still true unless the tories have changed it, as everyone I know has done this.
Reply 6
If you turn 19 after September it should still be free?
Or atleast thats the rule at my college.

I was 18 when I started A2, now 19.
Reply 7
Original post by Racheld25
If you turn 19 after September it should still be free?
Or atleast thats the rule at my college.

I was 18 when I started A2, now 19.

The day I turn 19, it's not directly government funded as the tories have made it so that I qualify as an adult student in November, when my birthday is. That means it costs the college as I take from the adult education fund. It's a ridiculous rule I know and I have to find some other way around it. Fortunately I have some money saved up that should be enough to pay for A2 History and one other full A level (To do it in one year), it's just a matter of getting them to let me stay, I don't know if there are other rules the tories have implemented to stop people having a third year.

Quick Reply

Latest