The Student Room Group

Do you agree with military action in Libya (poll included.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hamijack
They are people asking to be able to choose their own leader through democracy after being ruled by a slightly crazy man for the last 42 years. I think that's worthy of my support.

am not very sure about that.......they are more ant gaddafi than pro democracy to be honest......somehow am not comfortable with the channels using pro democracy (that doesnt mean there are no ppl wanting democracy....yes there are).....but considering the ppl.....the culture and the ground realities.......the common binding factor has more been anti something....rather than a lucid pro something
Reply 121
Original post by iainthegreat
From sources as neutral as possible and as close to the conflict as possible. At the moment Libyan health officials have said the death toll from UN air strikes stands at 63.

Links please.
Reply 122
Original post by mynameisred
am not very sure about that.......they are more ant gaddafi than pro democracy to be honest......somehow am not comfortable with the channels using pro democracy (that doesnt mean there are no ppl wanting democracy....yes there are).....but considering the ppl.....the culture and the ground realities.......the common binding factor has more been anti something....rather than a lucid pro something
Stop with the feckin ...s already.
Original post by morris743
Links please.

linkkkzzz pl0xxxxx!!!!!111oneoen!!

it on internet, it must be tr00
No one point of view ever represents what an entire nation of people think. The rebels represent THE MAJORITY of the populations views. The UN has expressly forbidden ground troops from being deployed, so it's not gonna happen.

Ha! Didn't the UN try and stop the UK and USA from going into war with Iraq?
Look what happened there.
The UN isn't exactly the most trustworthy organisation anyway, plenty of dodgy things they've done in the past.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 125
im not too sure if gaddafi is really corrupt or not, but his attacks on his own people despise me big time. he should be stepping down, whats more that he want after 42 years of ruling?

Well as far as I'm concerned Anti-Gaddafi is a good point of view. Just out of interest, what's with all the "..." in your post?
Original post by chrislpp
Yea, but they know what they are doing when it comes to sanctioning a middle-eastern country.

mayb yes......but even to impose sanctions u need money.......and they can ill afford to ignore their depleting coffers.....or mayb its precisely the reason why they are there........i can only hope its for a humanitarian cause rather than economic.....but then past history has told us otherwise
Original post by razzyrazz
im not too sure if gaddafi is really corrupt or not, but his attacks on his own people despise me big time. he should be stepping down, whats more that he want after 42 years of ruling?

Dieing naturally as opposed to being hanged?
Reply 130
Original post by razzyrazz

WHAT?!?!
Original post by tehFrance
Yes I agree, this should of been done sooner and I am proud that France spearheaded this with British co-operation :biggrin:

Perpetuating the delusion that France and Britain are great powers...
Reply 132
This is essentially my view. Yes we're doing it because it benefits us; we saw the opportunity and we've taken it. At the same time we will likely get rid of a brutal dictator who was on the verge of commiting further crimes against his people and we may bring democracy to the region. Win win.
Well as far as I'm concerned Anti-Gaddafi is a good point of view. Just out of interest, what's with all the "..." in your post?

didnt get u
Original post by woods.vanessa
Ha! Didn't the UN try and stop the UK and USA from going into war with Iraq?
Look what happened there.
The UN isn't exactly the most trustworthy organisation anyway, plenty of dodgy things they've done in the past.

AFTER they'd gone in already, which in reality would have been counter-productive. This time the international community is intervening because of the UN rather than on the whims of the USA.

What examples can you provide about these "dodgy things"?
Reply 136
AFTER they'd gone in already, which in reality would have been counter-productive. This time the international community is intervening because of the UN rather than on the whims of the USA.

What examples can you provide about these "dodgy things"?

Remind me where the UN is based.
Who cares if it is hypocritical? I'm sure the civilians in other countries currently care a fair amount, where is their protection? Where are the words of support validating that they too have the right to protest without fear of violence? Why are we on the one hand condemning Gadaffi for opening fire on civilians and taking massive steps to intervene, yet over in Yemen and Bahrain we're continuing to supply them with arms? Which are inevitably then used to stamp out peaceful protest. The very least we could do is refuse to sell them weapons until they agree to stop using them against civilians. And yet we're not even taking basic steps like that.

If this conflict was in Namibia, Botswana or somewhere equally far from Europe you wouldn't see the UN batting an eyelid about the issue. They might issue a statement of urging restraint, but there's no way in hell they'd organise a shock and awe air campaign and show of force. It's ridiculous that they only act when it's either a) close to Europe and Western powers or b) directly influences western interests.

If you can't see that Libya is on the borders of Europe then you are blind and could probably do with fetching yourself a map. It is only about 200 miles from Malta and the southern islands of Greece. That's about the same distance as London to Liverpool. 200 miles is absolutely nothing in world geographical terms. It's more than twice that distance from Tripoli to Benghazi. Just because it is separated by a small body of water doesn't mean it isn't on the borders with Europe. Do you also claim that the UK and Malta (both members of the EU) aren't on the borders with Europe simply because they are islands? Of course you wouldn't because surely you'd realise the stupidity of such a notion.

And no I wont yell new world order because I don't believe in any of that rubbish about the Jews are taking over the world. So if you going to try (and inevitably fail) to put words in my mouth, at least try to think it through first.
didnt get u

Never mind :smile:
Reply 139
What about Yemen and Bahrain, innocent people are being killed there? Why aren't the West interfering?

I copied and pasted this bit because you forgot to answer it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending