The Student Room Group

birkbeck students..everyone welcome..

Scroll to see replies

Cardiff Kook
hello, has anyone been given the ucas buzzword yet? I keep asking my tutor and dept and I’m getting no where. Need to submit my ucas form by Friday and I’m beginning to panic. Anyone had better luck in making an oxbridge application through birkbeck. My tutor wasn't even aware that oxford accepted my course

UCAS buzzword is Birkbeck.
vitamortis
UCAS buzzword is Birkbeck.

thanks
Reply 62
Orianne
Birbeck has been shortlisted for university of the year and also made it into the top 200 world rankings.:woo: Really pleased to see Birkbeck get some recognition :yep:

Yay! Yay!!
Original post by eve_22
Thank you.

That's brilliant! I remember enquiring to Lucy Cavendish when I was deciding between making an application to Oxford or Cambridge. Best of luck with your course.

Hey Eve -- I sent you an email the other day. Wondering if you saw it? Do let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!
Reply 64
Hi all,

Anyone doing BSc. geosciences or financial economics ?
Reply 65
Hi all
I am in the first year of p/t MSc Corporate Governance and Business Ethics. I like Birkbeck alot so far, good to be in an academic environment after 10 years!
Hello! I'm at Birkbeck doing their introductory studies for health, nursing and social care. *waves*
hey everyone :smile:

anyone knows which other libraries of universities we are allowed to use? couldn't find any information on the internet, probably kept looking in the wrong places.
Original post by Fara7

Hello all..

just wondering..who did get into an access course this year ??

I just got uncoditional offer from Birkbeck university(certificate of higher education to subjects allied to med.), iam very happy about it .

anyone applied to birkbeck ?

update us people..how is everything going? any interviews? any offers?:smile:

Quick question, is that course not similar to an access to med course at say a FE institution, wouldn't it cost less to study it at college then at university?
Reply 69
Hello everyone. Im starting the Legal Methods course in september. Im so excited. :smile:
Everybody says that i should sign up to get Michael Sullivan as my teacher. Why is that? What makes him better than the rest?

Anyway...Anybody else going to be on that course?
Original post by Baffour_88
Hello everyone. Im starting the Legal Methods course in september. Im so excited. :smile:
Everybody says that i should sign up to get Michael Sullivan as my teacher. Why is that? What makes him better than the rest?

I'm also curious, why Michael Sullivan?

Which session does he teach?
Reply 71
for legal methods, go with either O'Sullivan, Collins or Gordon
Reply 72
Original post by orianne

Original post by orianne
for legal methods, go with either o'sullivan, collins or gordon

but whyy?
Lool!!

Original post by admbeatmaker

but whyy?
Lool!!

My tip would be to try a few classes in the first week and see who you like, that is what i did... Michael teaches on Tuesday and Thursday night (i think thats right)...

Personally i had him for three weeks but did not enjoy his teaching method and moved to Gen Gordons class which i more enjoy, but they both teach in completely different ways... So each to their own...

P.S. People like him because he is literally full of knowledge

Original post by ms throatwobbler-mangrove
hey everyone :smile:

anyone knows which other libraries of universities we are allowed to use? couldn't find any information on the internet, probably kept looking in the wrong places.

Any library that is apart of the University of London group... You can also pay a small fee to use Senate House...
Reply 74

but whyy?
Lool!!

Michael is very knowledgeable and thorough in his teaching, uses Socratic questioning but is quite monotonous and some could find him boring. Gen’s class is lively, she’s very friendly actually cares about your progress; she is also very knowledgeable, maybe not as thorough as Michael in teaching but that’s because she likes to share anecdotes and go off track at times. Some of the other tutors appear quite clueless, one told her class to list all their university choices on their personal statements with reasons why they want to go there…. & some did just that. Another couldn’t recall who Lord Bingham was without a series of prompts and then was shocked to learn he is now late… I’d say attend classes with a few different tutors at the start before deciding. This year has been quite disorganised changing assignments, tutors, referencing delays, haven' been overtly impressed.
Original post by OneWordStory

Original post by Orianne

Many thanks to the both you; i'm going to try and attend each one of these classes for the first fortnight to see which method I think i'll benefit from most.

On another note, I intend to apply to a majority of top 30 law schools. Is there much difficulty in getting a well written reference within the first month-or-so of study?

Adam.
Reply 76

My tip would be to try a few classes in the first week and see who you like, that is what i did... Michael teaches on Tuesday and Thursday night (i think thats right)...

Personally i had him for three weeks but did not enjoy his teaching method and moved to Gen Gordons class which i more enjoy, but they both teach in completely different ways... So each to their own...

P.S. People like him because he is literally full of knowledge

Any library that is apart of the University of London group... You can also pay a small fee to use Senate House...

Thanks so much for this. How do you tell them you want to sit in different classes when you have already signed up to be taught by a particular person? David Jenning sent out a excel worksheet asking who you would like to be taught by and when you would be avaliable. I choose one based on my avaliability, but how do I say politley that i would rather sit in different classes till i decide, without looking like an indecisive, picky little git? Lol
Reply 77
Original post by Orianne

Original post by Orianne
Michael is very knowledgeable and thorough in his teaching, uses Socratic questioning but is quite monotonous and some could find him boring. Gen’s class is lively, she’s very friendly actually cares about your progress; she is also very knowledgeable, maybe not as thorough as Michael in teaching but that’s because she likes to share anecdotes and go off track at times. Some of the other tutors appear quite clueless, one told her class to list all their university choices on their personal statements with reasons why they want to go there…. & some did just that. Another couldn’t recall who Lord Bingham was without a series of prompts and then was shocked to learn he is now late… I’d say attend classes with a few different tutors at the start before deciding. This year has been quite disorganised changing assignments, tutors, referencing delays, haven' been overtly impressed.

Thanks so much for this. How do you tell them you want to sit in different classes when you have already signed up to be taught by a particular person? David Jenning sent out a excel worksheet asking who you would like to be taught by and when you would be avaliable. I choose one based on my avaliability, but how do I say politley that i would rather sit in different classes till i decide, without looking like an indecisive, picky little git? Lol
Reply 78
Many thanks to the both you; i'm going to try and attend each one of these classes for the first fortnight to see which method I think i'll benefit from most.

On another note, I intend to apply to a majority of top 30 law schools. Is there much difficulty in getting a well written reference within the first month-or-so of study?

Adam.

I doubt you'll get a well written reference. if you are looking to get your application in early, your tutor will only be able to base it on your participation in class discussions because u wouldn't have any assessed work other than your personal statement. The course doesn't have a lot of essay writing like other access courses, the first essay is due the final week before you close for xmas, results in the new year so by then its a bit late.

But I really don't think the reference matters a great deal. With access courses admissions know that students are just starting out so they don't really expect glowing references. If a university is keen they'll ask for an updated reference later on. I was told Birkbeck use a generic reference for everyone confirming your enrolment and a brief description of the course, your tutor may add a few extra lines.

Also Birkbeck wait until the deadline to submit UCAS applications so if you want yours in early have it submitted with the Oxbridge lot.
Reply 79

pick a tutor as normal, then just class hop for the first week or two. If you find a more suitable class just ask for a transfer, say change in circumstances or the like...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending