The Student Room Group

Aspirin chemistry practical

I recently did a chem practical. I was supposed used 1 g of aspirin and 20 cm3 of ethanol for a titration with NaOH.Ethanol is used to make sure aspirin dissolves. But i used 0.30g of aspirin and 20 cm3 of ethanol. would this make a difference to the titre value (results i obtained)?? or is it ok??? because i have to use the results for my analysis and evaluation. Its my A2 ocr salters chemistry individual investigation coursework.

PlZZZ Help!!! Its really urgent.... Thanks...
Reply 1
Original post by bpascalb
I recently did a chem practical. I was supposed used 1 g of aspirin and 20 cm3 of ethanol for a titration with NaOH.Ethanol is used to make sure aspirin dissolves. But i used 0.30g of aspirin and 20 cm3 of ethanol. would this make a difference to the titre value (results i obtained)?? or is it ok??? because i have to use the results for my analysis and evaluation. Its my A2 ocr salters chemistry individual investigation coursework.

PlZZZ Help!!! Its really urgent.... Thanks...

of course, if aspirin is to react with NaOH during titration, then the amount of aspirin you add in initially is going to affect the amount of NaOH reacted with it.

however, it shouldn't affect any following calculations, depending on what you are trying to measure. but you need to bear in mind that you only used 0.30 g and not 1 g when doing calculations for like % purity, etc.
Reply 2

The formulae used and calculations carried out will be the same, just substiture 0.3 instead of 1 everywhere and it will work out (eg. calculating number of moles in aspirin if you have concentration and volume used of NaOH).
Reply 3
Just out of curiousity, why did you use 0.3g instead of 1g?

Quick Reply

Latest