The Student Room Group

Do you agree with military action in Libya (poll included.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ijaz
YOU bring me one reliable source apart from the bbc, sky news, cnn of "rebels" asking for a no fly zone.

They get so callled representatives on bbc who say are spealking on behalf of the people and everyones like oh yeah they want this.

and also how do you expect the government to react, if there were rebels over here youll have the army in straight away.

And the governemnt breaking poledge of ceasfire was also alledged wasnt proven.

They already planned this

In other words the only source you will take is Libyian State TV? GTFO.
Reply 161
Original post by tehFrance
CNN isn't government owned nor controlled and the BBC isn't really government owned either but we pay for it whether we want to or not :frown: as for control, the BBC have a left wing bias so I doubt it.

you are actually kidding.

The government practically control the media
Original post by ijaz
you are actually kidding.

The government practically control the media

You are actually deluded.

The government do not own the media, unlike the middle eastern or other countries with a dictatorship.
Reply 163
In other words the only source you will take is Libyian State TV? GTFO.

no but i would'nt trust news channels of the coalition who are fronting this like bbc, cnn and france tv
Reply 164
I think there is a misunderstanding that Gaddafi is some kind of sadistic lunatic, and all he wants is further bloodshed in his country. This couldn't be further from the truth. No leader wants a civil war, and no leader wants unnecessary bloodshed. To me, it seems like foreign powers have a greater say in this conflict than Gaddafi himself.
There is no need for countries like UK and USA to get involved in everything in the world. y da hell do they send their army everywhere its like they want to start a war..they dont own the world. Whats happening in the middle east they can sort it out themselves. Theres no need for anyone else to get involved, its just guna end up with more deaths. Look at how many people have died in Iraq, Afghanistan etc because of the UK and US...give it a rest.

Also im voting that US and UK have given money to Ghaddafi to do all this act so they can get supplies from Libya just as they sued Saddam Hussain as an excuse to enter Iraq.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm not sure. The media doesn't make it clear what is really going on I feel. I don't feel like I can trust the media on what they say is happening there. I do have Libyan friends though and they seem to be all for the military action as long as it get Gaddafi out.
Reply 167
You are actually deluded.

The government do not own the media, unlike the middle eastern or other countries with a dictatorship.

Beleive what you want.

But the the media is used by the government here and abroad to justify there actions, here and in libya
Reply 168
Original post by laughylolly
I'm not sure. The media doesn't make it clear what is really going on I feel. I don't feel like I can trust the media on what they say is happening there. I do have Libyan friends though and they seem to be all for the military action as long as it get Gaddafi out.

I also have friends in Libya who want to be as distant from the conflict as possible. One month ago, Libya was perhaps the most livable state in Africa.
Original post by und
I also have friends in Libya who want to be as distant from the conflict as possible. One month ago, Libya was perhaps the most livable state in Africa.

Yeah. I feel really bad for them at the moment. It's their homeland being destroyed and I wouldn't want that to happen to my home. The quicker it's over the better.

I have friends in Bahrain too and ones that go to school in Bahrain and I'm hoping the same for them. I just really hope that it doesn't start up in Saudi. That would be bad news for everyone.
Original post by ijaz
YOU bring me one reliable source apart from the bbc, sky news, cnn of "rebels" asking for a no fly zone.

They get so callled representatives on bbc who say are spealking on behalf of the people and everyones like oh yeah they want this.

and also how do you expect the government to react, if there were rebels over here youll have the army in straight away.

And the governemnt breaking poledge of ceasfire was also alledged wasnt proven.

They already planned this

http://twitter.com/#!/ShababLibya
Reply 171

and your point is.
It's a twitter acount.
Reply 172
I'm afraid it will turn Libya public opinion against the rebels and cause Gaddafi to look like a martyr
As predicted just like happened with Iraq the West are going to be seen as aggressors against the Middle East. The Arab League is now condemning US, UK and French airstrikes against ground targets! Joining Russia who earlier today also spoke out against the strikes.

Rather worryingly the Arab League has criticised the air strikes against Libya despite being at the forefront of calls for a no-fly zone. Arab League secretary general Amr Mussa said:

"What has happened in Libya differs from the goal of imposing a no-fly zone and what we want is the protection of civilians and not bombing other civilians...From the start we requested only that a no-fly zone be set up to protect Libyan civilians and avert any other developments or additional measures."

This appears to show that the Arab League believes report from Gaddafi that civilians have been killed during Coalition air strikes. It begs the question whether Britain, America and France will continue with their military plans without Arab support. A press conference has been scheduled in about two hours where we will be seeking further clarification.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8390035/Libya-Live.html

The West has made a serious mistake going in guns blazing. There is a serious risk that if public opinion turns against the West due to these strikes that support for the rebels will also decrease and Gaddafi will instead be seen as a national hero defending Libya against colonialists. It wouldn't be the first time that Gaddafi has used airstrikes to galvanise his support, in 1986 when the USA launched Operation El Dorado Canyon Gaddafi successfully used it to play the role of defiant national hero.

Congratulations Sarkozy, Obama, and Cameron, you've played right into Gaddafi's hands. You are succeeding once again in alienating the Middle East. It's taken months of effort to gain the trust of the Middle East by supporting the popular uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia, now they've thrown it all away in the space of 24 hours by dropping bombs :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 174
Original post by fire2burn
As predicted just like happened with Iraq the West are going to be seen as aggressors against the Middle East. The Arab League is now condemning US, UK and French airstrikes against ground targets! Joining Russia who earlier today also spoke out against the strikes.

Well I was surprised when I heard about air strikes as I thought the resolution was about a no fly zone. :confused:
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Definitely. I want more military intervention. Gadaffi needs to be taken out.

Original post by fire2burn

The West has made a serious mistake going in guns blazing. There is a serious risk that if public opinion turns against the West due to these strikes that support for the rebels will also decrease and Gaddafi will instead be seen as a national hero defending Libya against colonialists. It wouldn't be the first time that Gaddafi has used airstrikes to galvanise his support, in 1986 when the USA launched Operation El Dorado Canyon Gaddafi successfully used it to play the role of defiant national hero.

I am against Gadaffi and hope he is removed by the Libyan people. The tyrant needs to go. I find it hard to believe this intervention is our moral duty.

It might not be the same government, the same is happening nonetheless. A few weeks ago, Cameron went to visit the Gulf with arms dealers. It might not be Libya. What is the difference?

Rwanda, Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe- are you seriously suggesting that the people in those respective countries aren't out there protesting? They don't care about what is happening in their country. They just live like that. MORE IMPORTANTLY-Are these lives not worth saving?

US drone attacks- yes they have killed militants. According to Al Jazeera they killed innocent civilians. Not much different to Gadaffi. I believe Ron Paul highlighted this in congress a few weeks ago.

No fly zone- an act of war. It has no support from the British public. Scroll down the newspapers website and read the comments. Listen to radio shows on the BBC. It has no support.

Honestly, I hope your right that the Libyan people will greet us with open arms. Realistically, however their suspicions and their scepticism suggest that they ain't going to happen. The Libyan will turn out to be like their ungrateful Iraqi brothers and sisters.

We have the possibility of considering whether this is legal- Yes he went through the right channels and got consent and support. Look at what is happening, bombing every airfield amounting to a war (refers back Ron Paul). On top of that, the League of African Nations have called for firing to stop immediately. Are we to ignore this? It is evidently clear the rest of the world doesn't really support this intervention. Where is the Arab League nations or are they too busy killing and stopping the protests in their country with the support from those against Libya? Oh wait, they condemned the action along with Russia.

Digital Spy Users as well as Noam Chomsky highlighted out of hundreds of countries there are in this world, it always the same countries that are wanting to "liberate".

This will be another Iraq, and Afghanistan because there will be troops on the ground. It will increase our deficit and debt in a time when we going through austerity. This is not the Falklands and neither is this Bosnia. Enough is enough.

I supported Cameron and supported the tory party for a long time. Come local elections, I might be reluctant to vote for the tories. We'll see how it all plays out in the coming months.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ijaz
and your point is.
It's a twitter acount.

Come back when you've looked through the tweets.
Reply 177
Original post by morris743

Original post by morris743
Well I was surprised when I heard about air strikes as I thought the resolution was about a no fly zone. :confused:

UN resolutions don't really matter in the realm of war.
Definitely. I want more military intervention. Gadaffi needs to be taken out.
Reply 179
Original post by mathew551
Come back when you've looked through the tweets.

yes the point is that it isnt reliable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending