The Student Room Group

Anaemia & taking iron tablets.. .

what's the daily iron dosage for a adult female? can't seem to find the answer anywhere?
My iron level was 6 and doctor said it should be around 25?! i've been prescribed 210mg - 3 x a day. So that means 630mg of iron per day ?! this seems really high to me, just wondering if other people who have had anaemia had similar dosage?!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
what's the daily iron dosage for a adult female? can't seem to find the answer anywhere?
My iron level was 6 and doctor said it should be around 25?! i've been prescribed 210mg - 3 x a day. So that means 630mg of iron per day ?! this seems really high to me, just wondering if other people who have had anaemia had similar dosage?!

If the doctor suggest to do that then its best to follow their instructions. Maybe you have to take higher dosages to balance it out or something (although i don't know what the rda is for iron so don't even know if that is a high dosage)
Reply 2

Some female family members have Anaemia and the doctor has told them to take 3 tablets a day. Tbh if your Doctor has told you then it must be OK. They take ferrous fumarate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Are they 210mg tablets? There might be less iron in them. Like in the tablets I'm taking they are 322mg tablets but contain 100mg iron. I'd go with whatever the doc tells you though!
I haad the same problem. I collapsed at school because of it and got taken to hospital.

The doctor told me to to eat green vegetables e.g. broccoli, brussel sprouts .. and red meat e.g. beef , if you prefer.

My mum cooked a bowl of brussel sprouts when she know about that and it was terrible. :frown:

I odn't like taking supplements so I eat proper vegetables. I think it's better.

Jusst do it everyday and try to add green vegetables into your dish whenever possible.
Reply 5
I think I may have Anaemia, and I bought some 14mg H&B iron supplements (with Vit C). Is it safe for me to take two a day (28mg altogether) even though I might not have iron deficiency Anaemia? I'm going to see my doctor about it to get a proper diagnosis but I have to wait 2 weeks to see him.
Original post by street.lovin'
I haad the same problem. I collapsed at school because of it and got taken to hospital.

The doctor told me to to eat green vegetables e.g. broccoli, brussel sprouts .. and red meat e.g. beef , if you prefer.

My mum cooked a bowl of brussel sprouts when she know about that and it was terrible. :frown:

I odn't like taking supplements so I eat proper vegetables. I think it's better.

Jusst do it everyday and try to add green vegetables into your dish whenever possible.

What is your reasoning for thinking it's better, not to take supplements?
Original post by You Failed
What is your reasoning for thinking it's better, not to take supplements?

I just prefer the taste of real vegetables.... :smile: I hate the smell of supplements..
There is probably nothing wrong with it but I just hate it.. :smile:
I just prefer the taste of real vegetables.... :smile: I hate the smell of supplements..

Fair enough.
Reply 9
I assume it's Fersamal (ferrous fumarate), in which case 3 tablets daily is the recommended dose for iron deficiency anaemia
Reply 10

Eeek i know what you mean i hate the smell of them too!

the thing is i have always eaten vegetables everyday... but still anaemic so have no choice but to take them. I think may be down to periods?! but they aren't that heavy so i duno why. Also maybe because i don't eat much meat?! but whatever it is I need iron quick so have to take the supplements for now.
Reply 11
Original post by Sprockette
Are they 210mg tablets? There might be less iron in them. Like in the tablets I'm taking they are 322mg tablets but contain 100mg iron. I'd go with whatever the doc tells you though!

yes 210mg! oh yeah didn't think of that!:rolleyes: - that their could be less iron in them.
Eeek i know what you mean i hate the smell of them too!

the thing is i have always eaten vegetables everyday... but still anaemic so have no choice but to take them. I think may be down to periods?! but they aren't that heavy so i duno why. Also maybe because i don't eat much meat?! but whatever it is I need iron quick so have to take the supplements for now.

I really dont know to be honest. :frown:
I dont even know if my iron level is healthy enough right now. I just put as much veggy as possible in my dish becaus ethats all I can do.. I never eatedn vegetables a lot before, I hated them. Thats why I am at risk of anaemia... :wink:
Reply 13
210 three times aday is fine, i have commenced on them as well but mine isn't so bad and i am taking twice a day from 6weeks.
Reply 14

I have that dosage and im fine huni its just to boost your iron as u must be very low levels ask your doc to do a blood count though as i did after i was tired and pail all the time and turned out my white blood cells and platletes were all over the show.
Reply 15
Original post by Kathryn81
I have that dosage and im fine huni its just to boost your iron as u must be very low levels ask your doc to do a blood count though as i did after i was tired and pail all the time and turned out my white blood cells and platletes were all over the show.

my FBC was fine apparently. Just iron stores are quite low. I'm always tired, hair falling out, pale n headachey/lightheaded. but not sure if it's down to that or something else.
Is that similar to how you have been feeling?
As others have said, it is completely normal to be given such a high dose of iron. Any excess that isn't needed by the body just passes through your digestive tract. You may notice that your poo goes black though, so don't be concerned about it if you notice it in the next few days...

NB For anyone who has black poo and is not on iron tablets, go see your doctor!!

Latest