The Student Room Group

What is your opinion of homeless people?

This poll is closed

Feel sorry for them; try to help by giving what I can. 29%
Feel sorry for them, but I don't like to give them anything. 46%
It doesn't concern me / no opinion. 12%
Have no sympathy, would never consider giving them anything. 1%
It's their own fault, they should just get a job, and sort their life out.12%
Total votes: 69
Just wanted to get your opinion for use in some University work. Please answer in the poll above :smile:

Edit: I know they all have their own circumstances and reasons for being homeless, but that's not the point of the poll; I just needed your initial reaction to homeless people on the street, asking for money or simply just being there.

Their personal reasons and factors etc are a different issue.

Cheers.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're people that are homeless.

I have no opinion.
Reply 2
What do mean like?

People who've been screwed over by factors that are usually out of their hands?
I don't think you can really have an opinion on homeless people as a whole like that, they all have their individual circumstances.
There are some people that are homeless for reasons they could not control, but there's also those who brought it upon themselves. So I wouldn't say I feel sorry for all of them.
Reply 4
Original post by AsystoleUK
Just wanted to get your opinion for use in some University work. Please answer in the poll above :smile:

depending on their circumstances, they should all be placed in Prison

EDIT: You guys are negging without even asking me to explain my post so go screw yourself :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Depends on the circumstances how they ended up on the streets in the first place. maybe it wasn't their fault, who knows?
Reply 6
To quote Glee's Sue Sylvester: 'I prefer to think of homeless people as being outdoorsy. So shine on urban campers!'

No, in all honesty: I generally feel very sorry for homeless people. I know some might have brought it on themselves, but then I'm sure that they didn't do it purposely or are enjoying their situation. So many bad things that happen to people could have been prevented, but that doesn't make me feel any less sorry for them.

But just to finish off with some more Sue: 'I often yell at homeless people: 'Hey, how is that homelessness working out for you? Give not being homeless a try, huh?'' :tongue:
Reply 7
I regularly support homeless charities - most homeless people have serious psychiatric issues, and they need help. They should not be blamed for problems which they are completely unable to deal with. Nobody chooses to be homeless out of laziness.

But I never give to beggars. Many beggars are not homeless, and not all homeless people beg. And money given directly to a homeless beggar will usually end up directly funding their drug or alcohol addiction, rather than being spent on food or clothing. If you want to give, give directly to charity, or offer to buy the person a meal or a cup of tea.
Reply 8
Original post by AsystoleUK

Edit: I know they all have their own circumstances and reasons for being homeless, but that's not the point of the poll; I just needed your initial reaction to homeless people on the street, asking for money or simply just being there.

Their personal reasons and factors etc are a different issue.

Cheers.

I feel sorry for them but I'm scared of them, I try to avoid contact. I'll give money through charities instead of to them directly.
Reply 9
Original post by jimbo139
I regularly support homeless charities - most homeless people have serious psychiatric issues, and they need help. They should not be blamed for problems which they are completely unable to deal with. Nobody chooses to be homeless out of laziness.

But I never give to beggars. Many beggars are not homeless, and not all homeless people beg. And money given directly to a homeless beggar will usually end up directly funding their drug or alcohol addiction, rather than being spent on food or clothing. If you want to give, give directly to charity, or offer to buy the person a meal or a cup of tea.

This.
Personally, I don't feel sympathetic or unsympathetic. This is because they are all individuals, so I wouldn't know the reason for them being homeless. I mean, with some it is there own fault, such as if they are lazy or if they are addicted to drugs. But others may simply not be able to pay their bills, or maybe they turned to drink because something terrible happened in their life. If I am walking down the street and have food or drink that I don't want, then of course I would give it away to a homeless person. Food and drink is a productive thing to give away, and I wouldn't want it going to waste. As for actual cash... I most often give it away if they are playing an instrument, singing, or doing something else which is good for society. I may also give cash away if they are blind, deformed, burned, limbless, or something similar. I feel it is my obligation to charitably contribute to another human being if they are in most need.
To those who said they should get a job...
it is ****ing impossible for a homeless person to get a job

Yes, I do feel sorry for them and I will give any change I have to them, a couple of pound is nothing to me whereas they can really do with whatever they have.

The amount of people who judge them as useless smack heads whose fault is all theirs is sickening. We don't know their background, many of them have mental illnesses (especially schizophrenia), many of them have had an awful past and have been abused and have turn to drugs as a form of escapism because they have nothing left in life and some were once normal, just like you and me, have had nervous breakdowns, couldn't hold up a job and ended up in a great load of debt.

Why can't the principle of 'don't judge people you don't know' apply to homeless people. Why don't they deserve some consideration?
Original post by Bishy786
depending on their circumstances, they should all be placed in Prison

EDIT: You guys are negging without even asking me to explain my post so go screw yourself :smile:

Most idiotic post of the week.

:facepalm:
Tbh, they scare me, and I don't like being harassed for money.

Plus, I was homeless for over a year, and I didn't resort to sleeping on the streets. I did a job where I earned 125 after tax, and it was £50 for the hostel for each week, £35 for travel to job and I still put £25 into an ISA every week and just ate supernoodles all the time to get myself enough savings to get out of that situation.

Not saying I could have done it if I hadn't had the little help I did, but there's always somewhere to turn to.
They have golden voices :smile:
Same as my opinion about people 'with homes'. We're all human.
Reply 16
Original post by MrsCrackFox
Most idiotic post of the week.

:facepalm:

What, If the homeless people want to go to prison, then they jolly well can

So instead of taxpayers paying prisoners to work, have shelter and eat food, we can use that same money to feed the homeless people on our streets.

Some prisons should turn into hostel types where the homeless people go and they can have food but stay there away from drink or drug problems. So instead of using our hard earned money to pay for the upkeep of convicted persons, we can feed and clothe the homeless people who have done nothing wrong.

However, if they do not want to go, then that is their problem but they should then not beg on the streets because the government will offer them a home, food, clothes and jobs.

Now who feels like dork.
The're great, saves me having to buy targets for my air gun!
Reply 18
Original post by flown_muse
Tbh, they scare me, and I don't like being harassed for money.

Plus, I was homeless for over a year, and I didn't resort to sleeping on the streets. I did a job where I earned 125 after tax, and it was £50 for the hostel for each week, £35 for travel to job and I still put £25 into an ISA every week and just ate supernoodles all the time to get myself enough savings to get out of that situation.

Not saying I could have done it if I hadn't had the little help I did, but there's always somewhere to turn to.

Pfft... supernoodles? You clearly don't know how to live cheap - tesco value noodles are where it's at :cool:
Do feel sorry for them, shows how lucky we are living in our comfy homes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending