The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohdearnevermind

If you dont get atleast 6A*s at GCSE and 2A*'s at A level your screwed

Don't be silly now, otherwise YOUR screwed :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by Normandy114
OCR Maths/Biology, AQA A Psychology and Edexcel chemistry. I'm resitting biology and chemistry unit 2 in the summer so I can try to enter A2 with all A's. I'm not too bothered about resits seeing as I know I won't get into Cambridge or UCL anyway.

i'm practically the same as you, but edexcel maths :smile:

i bought a different textbook for chemistry - the edexcel one we're using was utter rubbish
Original post by fruitfan

Original post by fruitfan
Hey ho. 2Nd time lucky! cant believe we'll be applying in 6 montha.any point of doing a gap year if u dont go abroad?

You can get more work experience in England, such as volunteering as a HCA, or working longterm in a care home/hospice :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by Count Stefular
Well I still havent had an interview with Kings yet.. put it that way. They've been real slow this year in getting back to people, so it's just wait wait wait. No rejection yet though! *touches wood*

Nottingham were better, I got their reply in feb half term, so that's the waiting time. Rejected without interview was tough, but then again, my grades arent as good as half the lot on here, so what can you do. They did however say they would email you a detailed summary as to why you didn't get in. They do a scoring system there you see. You get marked for each area they look for, i.e grades, UKCAT, work ex, ect. so they can tell you exactly what areas you are weak in, which is helpful I guess.

You will have a tough time waiting around for ucas. My two best mates got four offers each by the end of november and I was waiting till feb half term to hear back from any of mine, (not including biochem). It's hell. BUT, it'll be worth it :smile:

what did you think of kings? did you go to an open day? i really want to go to an open day but i don't think they do saturday open days, and my school probably wont let me out to go during a school day :frown:
Original post by laurie:)

[QUOTE=laurie[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30431635]what did you think of kings? did you go to an open day? i really want to go to an open day but i don't think they do saturday open days, and my school probably wont let me out to go during a school day :frown:

If it's a uni open day, i'm sure your school will let you! :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by Bubbles2010
Hello there :smile:
Which cambridge college btw?

Hey :smile:
And not exactly sure yet :tongue: Any suggestions? :smile:
Original post by jaunebanane
I think around 20 people from my school got in last year. Quite a few people are thinking about dentistry as well, and I think quite a lot will change their minds after results. So there's still hope!

20 :eek:

private school?

Well that comment about A Level is just not true! I don't know whether you're referring to medicine in general or just the above comments about Oxbridge, but either way, it's not true.

Typical offers for medicine from a few unis:
Edinburgh: AAA
Liverpool: AAA
Bristol: AAA - A*AB

...And also Oxbridge:
Magdelan, Oxford: AAA
Newnham, Cambridge: A*AA
Selwyn, Cambridge: A*AA

I may be wrong (and about to make myself look silly :tongue:), but I've not seen an A*A* offer for medicine in any prospectus, and even if they do exist, you certainly aren't 'screwed' without two.
(edited 13 years ago)

I know somebody who got in with no A*s at gcse, you t**t.
Original post by Nator

Original post by Nator
Hey :smile:
And not exactly sure yet :tongue: Any suggestions? :smile:

Haha, i would promote Murray edwards (my college), but you would have to be a girl :P
Hmm, do you prefer a bigger college (Trinity, St John's, Kings), or a smaller one (like Sidney Sussex). Also depends if you want an older college, or a modern one :biggrin:
Lol it's hard choosing colleges (i originally applied to Caius but was pooled to Murray edwards). I suppose Caius has the repuation as the 'medical college', and take the most med applicants (they also interview everyone, so even if your UMS/BMAT wasnt that good, you're still given a shot at interview :smile: )

Go and visit the colleges on the open day, and just see which one you like most :smile:
Reply 110
Original post by maemg
Haha i'm from Northern Ireland, thats why i'm not applying to queens because everyone here applies to queens, the only uni that bothers me about location is aberdeen because its so far away!!

Aberdeen is mega far!! But I guess if you're from Ireland, it's no further than St Andrews really!!

I'm from Newcastle - and didn't realise quite how far away Aberdeen was until I had to drive there for an interview. Not a short drive.
Is anyone else thinking of applying to Edinburgh? S'my first choice, so I want to know who I'll be waiting in angsty purgatory with until this time next to find out if we've got in :tongue:
Original post by shamim2k9
I know somebody who got in with no A*s at gcse, you t**t.

Original post by SteveCrain
**** off you ugly troll

haters gonna hate.
Reply 113
If it's a uni open day, i'm sure your school will let you! :smile:

i hope so! but i'd probably apply even if i havent gone to an open day, all down to my UKCAT now :frown:
Reply 114
Haha, i would promote Murray edwards (my college), but you would have to be a girl :P
Hmm, do you prefer a bigger college (Trinity, St John's, Kings), or a smaller one (like Sidney Sussex). Also depends if you want an older college, or a modern one :biggrin:
Lol it's hard choosing colleges (i originally applied to Caius but was pooled to Murray edwards). I suppose Caius has the repuation as the 'medical college', and take the most med applicants (they also interview everyone, so even if your UMS/BMAT wasnt that good, you're still given a shot at interview :smile: )

Go and visit the colleges on the open day, and just see which one you like most :smile:

Oh I see and nice :biggrin: Ohh why so? xD
I don't really mind to be honest; I would probably base that by visiting them on open days myself :smile: Oh right I never knew that :biggrin: Well my AS exams are in 2 months so I will start my revision to try to get high UMS marks :smile: How did you do in your AS/BMAT is you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Sure thing will do, thanks a lot :biggrin:
Reply 115
Original post by Stegosaurus
Is anyone else thinking of applying to Edinburgh? S'my first choice, so I want to know who I'll be waiting in angsty purgatory with until this time next to find out if we've got in :tongue:

i was going to, but then i found out that edinburgh gives slight preference according to distance, and seeing as i live in london, i don't think i wanna take that kind of risk. which is a shame, because i think i'd love the place.

[QUOTE=laurie[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30431860]i hope so! but i'd probably apply even if i havent gone to an open day, all down to my UKCAT now :frown:

Aww good luck!! Practice for the UKCAT, and hopefully it will be alright! :smile: (and if it's nto as high as you'd like, you can still apply to places like Keele and Barts, which are less UKCAT crazy :tongue:)
i was going to, but then i found out that edinburgh gives slight preference according to distance, and seeing as i live in london, i don't think i wanna take that kind of risk. which is a shame, because i think i'd love the place.

they way I understand it, the order of preferece goes:

Edinburgh area > rest of Scotland > the North-East > rest of England

I live in West Yorkshire, so not far enough North (as far as I know - I don't know how far their 'Northern' area of England stretches) to get any geographical brownie points, so you'd be no more disadvantaged than me :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Nator

Original post by Nator
Oh I see and nice :biggrin: Ohh why so? xD
I don't really mind to be honest; I would probably base that by visiting them on open days myself :smile: Oh right I never knew that :biggrin: Well my AS exams are in 2 months so I will start my revision to try to get high UMS marks :smile: How did you do in your AS/BMAT is you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Sure thing will do, thanks a lot :biggrin:

Murray edwards (and Newnham) are all girls :biggrin:
Yeah, go and visit, it definetly changes your view on the colleges! I used to want to got to trinity, but when i visited it, it was just...toooo big! :tongue:
I got 6As at AS (maths, chem, bio, phys. history n general studies), but epically flomped the BMAT! (3.8, 5.7, 3A)

Another thing, some colleges will select candidates for interview using BMAT (e.g. Trinity, Emma), so if you do apply there, its even more important to do well in the BMAT :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
i'm practically the same as you, but edexcel maths :smile:

i bought a different textbook for chemistry - the edexcel one we're using was utter rubbish

It's truely terrible, I got the CGP revision one for the exams. Also, a word of warning, the A2 one is just as bad. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending