The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pink_192
I chose to live at home for uni, the grant is just over £2000 for the year, I have 3 jobs that help to cover any other costs that I have. If I don't require the money of the loan as well why would I take it ? I still get the loan for fees just not maintenance.

This isn't a dig at you, it's at the system... But that shouldn't be ok.
You should have to take out the loan, and if you need MORE then apply for the grant. That's free money being given, while a lot of other people have to pay it all back (and more).
Again, not a dig at you. But if this really happens, the system is ridiculously flawed.
Why is the government raising fees, when they could just fix stupid loop-holes like this?
Original post by RK92
yes there is. you really sound like a vile little chav, you realise? "pipe down"? is this not a public forum? or are you trying to make it sound like some sort of serious business where little ones such as myself are unwelcome? wait, no.. youre just an idiot.

the way you broke down the argument was equivalent to the following:
person A says: "on the condition that x occurs, y is true"
you say: "oh look, you said the precise words "y is true" therefore that is what you meant"

good reasoning :rolleyes:

whats worse than your patronising posts is the fact that you pathetically rose to what was a pretty dumb comment; you tried to decompose it with **** reasoning. if youre going to be pedantic, do it properly or you look like a fool (too late now). you should have ignored the dumb comment if it offended you that much because we all know they were just looking for a reaction; you just gave a piss poor reaction which is a shame.

You sound rather angry young man. Having trouble at school? Bullies can be horrible.
Reply 22
I won't take it personally, I also agree its technically not correct but at the end of the day why would I take the loan when given the choice?
I'm going into a career of teaching, I'm not just doing one of the 'pointless' degrees (sorry if people don't agree with this also). The third years on my course get £9,000 bursary on graduation for training in a shortage subject, the government stopped this the year I started. Hey, you win some, you loose some! So some might think badly of me for taking the grant and not the loan but its getting me somewhere in life, I could just take free money like the dole and sit home and do nothing for the next 50 years. The way I see it, I'm being given back now a small part of what I'm going to pay back through tax throughout my life.
I know this is just my opinion, so I apologise to those that don't agree.
Reply 23
People need to check their facts before they post or at least state that they are unsure of what they are saying.

I'm currently a second year, for both years I have received full grant but no loan.

So there you have it, you DON'T need a loan to get the grant. When signing up on student finance just click you want you account income assesed and when asked how much loan you want to take out you just put £0 in the box.

:smile:

Yeah, this.
My boyfriend did it last year. It's perfectly possible.
try calling em
After all the moronic bickering OP the definitive answer is
You can take as little or as much of your loan entitlement as you wish. It has no bearing on your entitlement to a grant. which you will get regardless.
Reply 26
People need to check their facts before they post or at least state that they are unsure of what they are saying.

I'm currently a second year, for both years I have received full grant but no loan.

So there you have it, you DON'T need a loan to get the grant. When signing up on student finance just click you want you account income assesed and when asked how much loan you want to take out you just put £0 in the box.

:smile:

Thanks very much :smile: This is by far the most helpful thing anyone has put on this thread!
Original post by softy_dog1
Thanks very much :smile: This is by far the most helpful thing anyone has put on this thread!

Hmm. But they need to fix that loop hole. No need to raise fees when this will ACTUALLY make the government money.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Hmm. But they need to fix that loop hole. No need to raise fees when this will ACTUALLY make the government money.

It isn't a loop hole you idiot.
No, you can in theory get the grant on its own. But why would you need a maintenance grant if you didn't need a maintenance loan?! Seems a bit odd to me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by hypocriticaljap
It isn't a loop hole you idiot.

Hey, don't be so damn rude.
It clearly is a loop hole, because it shoudln't happen. People shouldn't be able to get free money when they choose not to take the loan. A grant should be there for people who CAN'T live without the loan.

Now I wasn't having a go at anyone individually, just expressing annoyance at the system. No need to be rude.
Reply 31
The way they are doing it looks like they are doing the maintenance loan as an extra to the maintenance grant for people who need more. Just saying, you make what you want of it. :smile:
NO - You do not have to take out a loan to get the grant.

You do need to be income assessed (means tested) when you apply so have to have an income below the threshold - £50k in England - but when you get to the question about how much maintenance loan you want you just put nil or £1000 or however much you want.

Grants are aimed at students from low income families so it is right they dont have to take out a loan to get a grant.
Maintenance loan or grant isnt paying for ur degree. Thats the tuition fee. No need to be rude just cuz he/she is eligible for it and wants to use as effectively as they can because they aren't as fortunate as us that have family with a decent household income. Stop being a pr**k
Reply 34
Arguing with a post made four years ago. That's a slow-burner, right there.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
People being able to take grants before taking loans is a clear sign that the system is broken.

Pay for your ****ing degree like the rest of us.

This. I think it's ****ing disgusting that people are able to take free money and not the loan and therefore have less to pay back than the rest of us. If you can survive purely on the grant then clearly you or your family have enough money that you shouldn't be eligible for one.

That said, I think there should be no grants.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
This. I think it's ****ing disgusting that people are able to take free money and not the loan and therefore have less to pay back than the rest of us. If you can survive purely on the grant then clearly you or your family have enough money that you shouldn't be eligible for one.

That said, I think there should be no grants.

I bet you aren't eligible for the grant. And he might haved up years for uni from working so even though his parents don't earn a lot he has some hard earned savings and is only a little short so why should he have to take the loan if his parents aren't able to give him much so he is entitled to a grant
Original post by chem@uni
I bet you aren't eligible for the grant. And he might haved up years for uni from working so even though his parents don't earn a lot he has some hard earned savings and is only a little short so why should he have to take the loan if his parents aren't able to give him much so he is entitled to a grant

I was eligible for a grant in first year. My opinion is if our education system is good enough then adult earnings shouldn't be affected by your parent's earnings. If not, the education system is failing children. Parents aren't the ones paying back the loan. Also, why should the government expect parents to pay for their adult children's choices? And yeah, a students earnings and savings should have an affect on their loan too. In fact, those should be THE ONLY earnings and savings that affect it.
Hey everyone - this thread is mega old so I've closed it now :smile: If you'd like to continue the debate it's best to start a new thread :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending