University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Astrum
I've a most likely dumb question but..on the site the catered contracats are for 30 weeks total and the self catered for 39...can someone elaborate why there is such a difference?And also another question if I sign for a flat,is the whole fee displayed on the site payed by me or shared with other ppl etc.?

Catered halls have to leave their accommodation over the small holidays, and self catered don't (hence the week difference). If you put down that you would like a flat, then that flat is payable by you only, as it is an individual flat. However, all rooms that aren't individual flats are arranged in traditional flat-like layouts anyway. It all depends if you would like your own specific flat I guess.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by BeanzMeanzHeinzWard
I have no idea where you get 20 mins from either, more like 10.Screw the environment? Nice.

Really? Its never taken me 10 minutes by bus and I've been catching it for almost 3 years now. It takes me at least 20 mins- I usually get the twenty- past bus for a lecture starting on the hour. I usually arrive at the earliest by twenty-to.
Reply 62
Original post by grape:)
Catered halls have to leave their accommodation over the small holidays, and self catered don't (hence the week difference). If you put down that you would like a flat, then that flat is payable by you only, as it is an individual flat. However, all rooms that aren't individual flats are arranged in traditional flat-like layouts anyway. It all depends if you would like your own specific flat I guess.

Thanks ^.^ Well I guess self catered it will be...now gotta decide where exactly and what type of room too.Probably JoFo or Beaumont self catered premium ensuite or smth.
Reply 63
Original post by Astrum
Thanks ^.^ Well I guess self catered it will be...now gotta decide where exactly and what type of room too.Probably JoFo or Beaumont self catered premium ensuite or smth.

Cool :smile:

I'd highly recommend John Foster.

As for the bus ride, it's really not too bad. There are services every ten minutes during weekdays, and every 30 mins on saturdays, in the evening or if you want to go to town. It's only takes about 20 minutes, and I even quite enjoy having a bit of time to just sit there and relax every day. I like how it makes your life at halls and at uni seem a bit more seperate :smile: And Oadby is really a nice area.

[QUOTE=grape[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30373876]Cool :smile:

Thought I might find you on this thread :biggrin:
Reply 65
Original post by alharrison4

Thought I might find you on this thread :biggrin:

Haha, and in every other Leicester thread there is :P How're you? x

[QUOTE=grape[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30374526]Haha, and in every other Leicester thread there is :P How're you? x

Good thanks! :smile:
Mostly just astounded that you're so organised in finding out everything about Leicester before coming. I took a rather laissez-faire approach, mainly resorting to 'I'm sure it'll be alright' and 'I'll just sort it out when I get there' :P
You haven't been on any of the open days they've been having over the past few weeks have you? I see people going round with their parents, and can remember so clearly how I felt when it was me! x
Reply 67
Good thanks! :smile:
Mostly just astounded that you're so organised in finding out everything about Leicester before coming. I took a rather laissez-faire approach, mainly resorting to 'I'm sure it'll be alright' and 'I'll just sort it out when I get there' :P
You haven't been on any of the open days they've been having over the past few weeks have you? I see people going round with their parents, and can remember so clearly how I felt when it was me! x

Glad you're good! I'm always organised about everything :smile:! I'm the kind of organisational freak that keeps my finances in a spreadsheet haha! I wish I could be more laid back like you, but I think I'm suited to extreme planning :P I can be spontaneous sometimes! I went to the first Psychology post-offer open day, and it was great! I loved it :party:

I bet you're first year has gone by super fast!

x

[QUOTE=grape[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30374829]Glad you're good! I'm always organised about everything :smile:! I'm the kind of organisational freak that keeps my finances in a spreadsheet haha! I wish I could be more laid back like you, but I think I'm suited to extreme planning :P I can be spontaneous sometimes! I went to the first Psychology post-offer open day, and it was great! I loved it :party:

I bet you're first year has gone by super fast!

x

Haha, as I suspected! I think the reason why I didn't get into organisational mode was that I was so convinced I wasn't going to meet the conditions of my offer, I just tried to not think about things. Poor stategy, but by some miracle I've not suffered any major traumas so far :smile:
You're totally right, it's flown! Can't believe my uni experience is nearly 1/3 over already :indiff:
I bet you've spent so long thinking about it and planning things that pretty soon you're just going to want to up and leave for uni already :smile: x
Reply 69
Haha, as I suspected! I think the reason why I didn't get into organisational mode was that I was so convinced I wasn't going to meet the conditions of my offer, I just tried to not think about things. Poor stategy, but by some miracle I've not suffered any major traumas so far :smile:
You're totally right, it's flown! Can't believe my uni experience is nearly 1/3 over already :indiff:
I bet you've spent so long thinking about it and planning things that pretty soon you're just going to want to up and leave for uni already :smile: x

Ahh, yeh, I get what you mean about being frightened of not meeting your offer. Like you said, it hasn't done you any harm yet! :smile: I do just want to leave now! :P x
Reply 70
I visited Leicester yesterday but they only showed us the catered accomodation. Does any find it a problem that the accomadation is a fair way from the uni itself?
Reply 71
Original post by Calumd
I visited Leicester yesterday but they only showed us the catered accomodation. Does any find it a problem that the accomadation is a fair way from the uni itself?

I've been here since October and the bus ride is no problem at all. It's only bad when you're hungover and you can feel every bump. It usually takes 20 minutes.
does anyone know when you get your student ID number which allows you to apply for accommodation? do they send it to your after you reply to your offer?
Original post by elziebelzie
does anyone know when you get your student ID number which allows you to apply for accommodation? do they send it to your after you reply to your offer?

you email them or phone them up. its a lot quicker to phone though :smile:
Reply 74

Mine was on the offer letter from the Uni.
oh thanks guys yeah i found it straight after i asked haha.

also, does anyone know what date we can move in? i know term starts on oct 2nd i think? but i'm guessing with freshers week/fortnight we move in before that? so would it be the 19th sept or 26th sept?

also (sorry so many questions!), on the leicester website it says that catered students can't have overnight guests - does anyone actually follow this rule? how strict is it?
Reply 76
oh thanks guys yeah i found it straight after i asked haha.

also, does anyone know what date we can move in? i know term starts on oct 2nd i think? but i'm guessing with freshers week/fortnight we move in before that? so would it be the 19th sept or 26th sept?

also (sorry so many questions!), on the leicester website it says that catered students can't have overnight guests - does anyone actually follow this rule? how strict is it?

I phoned the uni and they told me the official move in date is the 2nd October.
Original post by odacel
The fresher's week starts on October 3rd, but the week before there is a week with introduction for international students. International students have to live another place the first week, as move in for the accommodation is the weekend before the 3rd.

oh so do lectures start that week as well?
Reply 78
oh so do lectures start that week as well?

Freshers starts on the 3rd October. The first week of Freshers you have no real lectures. Just introductory ones. Real lectures start on the second week of freshers.

on the leicester website it says that catered students can't have overnight guests - does anyone actually follow this rule? how strict is it?

I was in catered in the first year and our sub-warden was ok about it. i guess it depend son the sub-warden but usually they are ok as long as your guest doesn't make a nuisance of themself or destroys anything.
Reply 79
I know this has probably been asked and answered before but what do you actually get for having catered accomadation? Is it worth it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending