The Student Room Group

Ethiopian girl exposes African American women - Your thoughts?

There is this Ethiopian American woman that is talking about African American women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ym4XtxCZ88

Your thoughts? Loads of AA's have responsed by Youtube videos.

Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yryw9usAvi4&feature=related

Basically the Ethiopian chick is saying that no one is attracted to Black American women because they act ghetto and have no self respect.
I wouldn't say it was 'exposing' anyone per se.. it's just one person slating an entire demographic which has been done before with the consequence that not many people listen.

Edit: The first video is a response, not the original.
(edited 13 years ago)
Clueless Republican bitch in the vicinity
The question is what is ghetto ? What does it mean to act Black ? Is it ghetto, to adopt the mannerism of the area that you live in ? Presuming that most African Americans live in big cities.
Reply 4
I agree with her, and I'm effin Somali.
Reply 5
I think there were comments in both videos which were inappropriate.
Reply 6
Guuuuuuuuuuurl be deluded...

love this response and this girl in it nomnom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6W5VSHLBI&feature=related
Reply 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VPEhxKsp8s&feature=related

Don't know if you've seen this or not? Check out the on screen message at 0.37 about her own friend. Strange.
I think she doesn't love herself thats why she needs to bash others.
Shes african american herself ? Like WTH!

- The thing that offended me the most was that - for her to imply that liking another culture means you don't have or know your own?
Im into asian culture myself! - I do know my culture :catfight:
I think she needs to go back to school.

Good thing im british.
Reply 9
Its true, just like Somalis are in denial (I'm a SOmali myself) Tell me how do you solve a problem if you don't accept there is one?
There is a difference between West African, East African and American ghetto culture? Is that what she's saying? I'm confused.
Original post by JCC-MGS
Clueless Republican bitch in the vicinity

What an earth are you dribbling on about?
Original post by Mujeriego

A lot of what she said is OTT imo and doesn't apply to a lot of African-American women. The main reason why African-Americans struggle to be successful in mainstream American society is because a lot of them a bred in ghettos. In order to be successful in the ghetto you need to adopt characteristics which she mentioned in the video, being loud, abrasive, cocky etc. (basically sticking up for yourself and putting on a tough attitude). Also if you study/work hard it's seen as a sign of weakness/conformity as well so many young people (boys in particular, girls aren't affected as much) are teased/bullied if they work hard. This sort of culture makes it incredibly difficult for a young black person to be successful in life unless they're willing to be left isolated and bullied throughout their childhood for adopting 'white' characteristics.

There is a difference between West African, East African and American ghetto culture? Is that what she's saying? I'm confused.

I think African immigrants are generally quite successful in the US relative to African-Americans.
While I don't think it is very nice make nasty comments about any group of people, it is interesting that many of the responses were also making nasty hateful comments about her home country and talking about her immigration status.

Just shows really that racism and intolerance does not just come from white middleaged men as the media would have you believe. It is also an example of why multiculturalism breeds this kind of intolerance and racism in all communities.This is why in my opinion in our own country the UK, we should be emphasising inclusivity with our immigrant population and aggressively also emphasising are own values.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CombineHarvester
I think African immigrants are generally quite successful in the US relative to African-Americans.

Possibly because they might have experienced actual poverty back home in Africa as opposed to relative poverty in American cities so the drive to succeed is greater. There seems to be contempt between the two in my experience. The Africans tend to consider their American counterparts to be 'Westernised' cultural traitors and in return, African-Americans are hostile to Africans for being 'race-traitors' for participating in the slave-trade. By Westernised, I mean random stuff like oral sex which is a huge taboo in Africa but completely normal amongst American blacks. It's the most ridiculous and bizarre beef ever. :confused:
Original post by CombineHarvester
A lot of what she said is OTT imo and doesn't apply to a lot of African-American women. The main reason why African-Americans struggle to be successful in mainstream American society is because a lot of them a bred in ghettos. In order to be successful in the ghetto you need to adopt characteristics which she mentioned in the video, being loud, abrasive, cocky etc. (basically sticking up for yourself and putting on a tough attitude). Also if you study/work hard it's seen as a sign of weakness/conformity as well so many young people (boys in particular, girls aren't affected as much) are teased/bullied if they work hard. This sort of culture makes it incredibly difficult for a young black person to be successful in life unless they're willing to be left isolated and bullied throughout their childhood for adopting 'white' characteristics.

Before crack cocaine infested african american communities, they were not ghettos at all and were far more pleasant stable places to live with majority traditional conservative families. There is nothing inherently worse about african americans as human beings, it is a tragedy that more was not and is not done to exterminate the blight. And people wonder why Iam in favour of chinese style laws when it comes to drugs.

Another thing is the racism, being of the right I tend to have little time for sob stories and excuse making, but in the states the history of african americans is tragic.There was real racism and discrimination that went on ,and to this day has effects. I was always struck reading about muhammed ali and despite fighting in the ring for his country in the olympics he was still seen as not enough of a person to eat in a restaurant in the states where he was living. Or reading about colin powell ,who after returning from a tour of vietnam , was mocked and told he wasn't allowed into a diner on a highway because of his skin colour. Or when he explained how he couldn't stop even to take a leak at some garages when he was travelling from army base to army base. Colin Powell at that point was a major in the US Army. Protecting the very people who did not see him as a person.

That is why ,while I have little time for Barack Obama who I believe is completely unsuitable for being president of the united states i completely understand why the majority of Black people voted for him. Unfortunately the 'change he promised' hasn't happened, and he has done not enough for african americans who have suffered greatly.

Possibly because they might have experienced actual poverty back home in Africa as opposed to relative poverty in American cities so the drive to succeed is greater. There seems to be contempt between the two in my experience. The Africans tend to consider their American counterparts to be 'Westernised' cultural traitors and in return, African-Americans are hostile to Africans for being 'race-traitors' for participating in the slave-trade. By Westernised, I mean random stuff like oral sex which is a huge taboo in Africa but completely normal amongst American blacks. It's the most ridiculous and bizarre beef ever. :confused:

Bear in mind African-Americans have nothing in common culturally with Africans apart from skin colour. In the UK we don't really have this, black people are often bilingual, speak an African language when they are at home, eat African food, their parents wear African clothing, they go and see their families in Africa during the holidays etc. In the US African-Americans have none of this, they only speak English, they don't even know what country in Africa their ancestors are from, they have very little understanding of African culture. Instead they have this entirely different ghetto culture which places value on swagger, materialism, not working hard, being sexually promiscuous, showing off etc. and African immigrants are often disgusted by this culture. Bearing in mind they are usually economic migrants and used to hard work and few luxuries they'll have more in common with Chinese people (or Asians) in the US rather than African-Americans.
Original post by Ministerdonut

Original post by Ministerdonut
Before crack cocaine infested african american communities, they were not ghettos at all and were far more pleasant stable places to live with majority traditional conservative families. There is nothing inherently worse about african americans as human beings, it is a tragedy that more was not and is not done to exterminate the blight. And people wonder why Iam in favour of chinese style laws when it comes to drugs.

Another thing is the racism, being of the right I tend to have little time for sob stories and excuse making, but in the states the history of african americans is tragic.There was real racism and discrimination that went on ,and to this day has effects. I was always struck reading about muhammed ali and despite fighting in the ring for his country in the olympics he was still seen as not enough of a person to eat in a restaurant in the states where he was living. Or reading about colin powell ,who after returning from a tour of vietnam , was mocked and told he wasn't allowed into a diner on a highway because of his skin colour. Or when he explained how he couldn't stop even to take a leak at some garages when he was travelling from army base to army base. Colin Powell at that point was a major in the US Army. Protecting the very people who did not see him as a person.

That is why ,while I have little time for Barack Obama who I believe is completely unsuitable for being president of the united states i completely understand why the majority of Black people voted for him. Unfortunately the 'change he promised' hasn't happened, and he has done not enough for african americans who have suffered greatly.

Racism in the US has certainly been a much bigger issue than in the UK, particularly in legal terms. When the Montgomery bus boycott was going on during the civil rights movement in the 60s because blacks had to give up their seats for whites, black and Asian people could drive buses in the UK. Then you have all of the norms relating to black people in the US because once they were only known as slaves so couldn't use the same facilities (luxuries) as whites. In recent years however, racism cannot be blamed for the massive underachievement in the African-American community, especially when you consider that African immigrants do so well comparatively. Barack Obama is an example of this, he isn't an African-American, but the son of a Kenyan and white American. When you consider that 14% of the US is black and the vast majority of them are African-Americans it is concerning that someone like Obama (not an AA) was the first black president.

The main reason nowadays is because the US welfare system is very bad and doesn't do nearly enough to make up for the incredibly tough environment most black people grow up in in the States. Then you have people filling the void selling drugs and before you know it an entire community is damned to crime, drugs, prostitution and violence. The culture which emerges from such a community is anti-establishment, anti-education and being tough and hard bodied. The sort of attitude which will never nurture success outside of the hip-hop industry.
Reply 18

Is that meant to be a joke?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending