The Student Room Group

Boyfriend is breaking my heart

Me and my boyfriend have been together for 7 months. At first everything was great, he was sweet and made me feel safe. For the first time I felt like someone was actually crazy about me.

But now things have gone sour :frown: He lives a 2 hour train/bus ride away, and it is always me that does this. It costs money yes, but I don't mind doing that. What bothers me, is that he doesn't appreciate the time and effort I take to see him. We talked about it the other day and he said, "to be honest, I couldn't do that travelling that you do. " Basically saying, that the effort I make is the only thing that's carrying on the relationship....I feel totally lost. He doesn't make the effort for me that I make for him. I feel like I'm not special enough or something.

Next, it has become apparent that he's a child. He wastes all his money on a particular hobby he does, leaving no cash for me and him to go out together. He also spends all his time doing this hobby, and when we both start working more, this will make it harder to see each other. This makes it more worrying for me, because I would have to make the effort seeing as he doesn't even do it now....I don't think I can do it on my own :frown:

He even said that when he starts working we might break up, but we should "just enjoy the right now."

I don't get sweet texts anymore. When he does talk to me he says nothing sweet or anything. He talks to me as if I'm just anyone.

But the worst part is, I feel like it's my fault. I've had a lot of arguments with him about him not making effort for me, and he thinks me arguing with him is treating him bad.

UGH advice please people.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dump him. Seriously, what other advice are you expecting after all that?
It's not your fault. Seems like you should tell him how you feel about this and ask what he's willing to do to make you feel equal in this relationship. No point doing all you can to keep this relationship going if he doesn't give a damn. Also, you seem to care alot, so I'm pretty sure you're a nice person. Make sure you get what you deserve in a guy :smile:
I'm sorry but this looks like as if he's probably lost interest now, for whatever reason. Best solution might be to dump him and see how much of an effort he makes to get you back?
Original post by Anonymous

Me and my boyfriend have been together for 7 months. At first everything was great, he was sweet and made me feel safe. For the first time I felt like someone was actually crazy about me.

But now things have gone sour :frown: He lives a 2 hour train/bus ride away, and it is always me that does this. It costs money yes, but I don't mind doing that. What bothers me, is that he doesn't appreciate the time and effort I take to see him. We talked about it the other day and he said, "to be honest, I couldn't do that travelling that you do. " Basically saying, that the effort I make is the only thing that's carrying on the relationship....I feel totally lost. He doesn't make the effort for me that I make for him. I feel like I'm not special enough or something.

Next, it has become apparent that he's a child. He wastes all his money on a particular hobby he does, leaving no cash for me and him to go out together. He also spends all his time doing this hobby, and when we both start working more, this will make it harder to see each other. This makes it more worrying for me, because I would have to make the effort seeing as he doesn't even do it now....I don't think I can do it on my own :frown:

He even said that when he starts working we might break up, but we should "just enjoy the right now."

I don't get sweet texts anymore. When he does talk to me he says nothing sweet or anything. He talks to me as if I'm just anyone.

But the worst part is, I feel like it's my fault. I've had a lot of arguments with him about him not making effort for me, and he thinks me arguing with him is treating him bad.

Tbh, I think it is time you both went your separate ways, he sounds like he couldn't even give you the time of day and you are the one who is going to nd up the one getting hurt.
Reply 5
Original post by Oranges
Dump him. Seriously, what other advice are you expecting after all that?

Because I don't know whether what he's doing is even that bad, if you know what I mean.
Reply 6

How can I make my threads anonymously?

anyway I don't want to be the one who breaks the news but I doubt he's taking you and the relationship very seriously at all. You make quite an effort to go and see him and he doesn't seem to give a damn. It's as if your second best for him right now, Why would he say to you that when he finds work that he is considering ending the relationship.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by berryboysh

anyway I don't want to be the one who breaks the news but I doubt he's taking you and the relationship very seriously at all. You make quite an effort to go and see him and he doesn't seem to give a damn. It's as if your second best for him right now, Why would he say to you that when he finds work that he is considering ending the relationship.

when submitting a thread/ post tick the box to make anonymous (only works in H&R.) Also please use a less garish colour.
Reply 8

It's only been 7 months, refuse to give a **** and drop him, he'll either fix up if he realises what he's going to lose or you guys just leave. LDR sucks
Reply 9

Tick the "make post anonymously".

He said that because I work weekends, he wants work in the week. AND when he gets work, his spare time will be spent on his hobby, he won't have the time or cash to see me.
Reply 10
Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead :frown:
Reply 11
Your relationship is coming to an end...
The longer you leave it the more intense the heartbreak will be.

I dont see this getting better unless he does a complete U-turn. Which he doesnt sounds like hes going to bother doing at all...
Reply 13
Tick the "make post anonymously".

He said that because I work weekends, he wants work in the week. AND when he gets work, his spare time will be spent on his hobby, he won't have the time or cash to see me.

but that box is not always there. Your bf seems a bit harsh
:frown:
If he refuses to make time for you now, despite the travelling you do for him, then he's not worth it.
I guarantee you can find someone a lot better for you, don't settle for someone who doesn't appreciate you.

but that box is not always there. Your bf seems a bit harsh

its only in H&R
Your BF looks like he doesn't care about you. If I were you, I'll break the relationship right now and give time for yourself to heal. A relationship takes two people to make it work, not just one.

maybe it's not that he's lost interest, but maybe he's just got complacent
talk to him.

Everyone will say to dump him, but I imagine it's hard for you, because although he may not love you as much as he once did, you probably still love him. You're in the worst circumstances, long distance relationship, uninterested boyfriend, arguments... if I'm being perfectly honest with you I don't see it lasting much longer, and I don't think there is anything you'll be able to do about it. You live too far apart to spend a worthwhile amount of time together, he's preoccupied with other things (which will only get worse when he starts working), what can you do about this? Move in with him and spend every moment together? I don't think so. He even said you'd probably break up when he starts working. If I were you I'd just prepare for the inevitable. Have a serious talk with him and ask whether realistically it's worth carrying on, it'll save you heartbreak in the future.
Reply 19
Original post by thru sun and rain
when submitting a thread/ post tick the box to make anonymous (only works in H&R.) Also please use a less garish colour.

But that box is not always there:confused: though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending